What does Welch have to do in the 1st half...

Bryce Webster

Reaction score
... to get minutes from Coleman in the 2nd? I just have a difficult time putting a finger on why he always seems to be in the doghouse with Tubby. It was clear after a short while that Joe was not going to contribute a whole lot offensively last night IMO, so why not bring JW to start the 2nd half? Also is there any reason Mav spells Dre in the 1st before Julian besides the fact that we will be all but forced to play Mav next season so we basically just hand him the minutes?

Agree. Tonight was not Colemans night. Welch had a couple TO's but he could have been in there to playing with Dre as the 2nd ball handler and spotting up from 3. Welch played decent D on Burke he poked the ball loose a couple of times.

When the Gophers were pressing Michigan was using Stinkakas to help with the press. Coleman was guarding him real soft no ball pressure. Coaches were yelling at him to get up on him and he didnt. Put Welch in there and let him get under Stinkakas who is taller. Stinkakas is a nice player by the way. Not afraid

I was wondering why Mav was subed in before Julian myself. Strange. I do think Coleman is a bit more athletic and quick than Julian so that may have factored into why he didn't get Coleman's minutes in the second half. Still could have used his 3 shooting rather than an ineffective athletic gaurd.

If I recall, Welch couldn't guard anyone. Just seems slow and uninterested in playing defense. And also tends to throw lazy passes. He knocked down some shots last night, but I cannot stand watching him play. Always seems to be playing at half speed.

Welch's play in the first half was a wash. He hit some big shots, but he had at least one horrendous turnover and played some really poor defense. He (like most of our team) just couldn't keep his guy in front of him. There were two specific times that I remember where Welch was back in transition defense and failed to close out on the man with the ball (Burke, I believe)... leading to wide open threes.

That's not to say that he didn't necessarily deserve minutes in the second half, but his first half wasn't overwhelmingly great. Without Andre in half one we were in trouble regardless, and neither Coleman nor Rodney stepped up for us last night.

If I recall, Welch couldn't guard anyone. Just seems slow and uninterested in playing defense. And also tends to throw lazy passes. He knocked down some shots last night, but I cannot stand watching him play. Always seems to be playing at half speed.

Just so you know, he had the best AST/TO ratio on the team coming into the game last night. I don't disagree that he threw some lazy passes last night and that his defense isn't very good at times however.

Yes, Welch made a couple bad TO's, but you do realize we were only down 6 at half largely because of the way he played in the 1st half? The Gophers are dead in the water without his performance in the 1st half.

And yes, Julian is not the quickest guy, but he has active hands on defense & he knows how to play. I would like to see Tubby give him more minutes off the bench, not less.

+1

I do think Coleman is a bit more athletic and quick than Julian

Understanemt of the year!

Thank you. When you're that efficient for an offense that was lifeless, who cares that he had a few turnovers. With Dre in foul trouble early (he needs to stop committing such worthless fouls after turning the ball over), the alternative was Mav. It's not like Welch has been a turnover machine in other games. Mav on the other hand... 8 turnovers in 44 min of BT play

Yes, Welch made a couple bad TO's, but you do realize we were only down 6 at half largely because of the way he played in the 1st half? The Gophers are dead in the water without his performance in the 1st half.

And yes, Julian is not the quickest guy, but he has active hands on defense & he knows how to play. I would like to see Tubby give him more minutes off the bench, not less.

who cares that he had a few turnovers.

Tubby.

Welch can not play defense against a team that athletic, he was horrible on the switches/help defense and could not guard a single guy Michigan had on the court.

Thank you. When you're that efficient for an offense that was lifeless, who cares that he had a few turnovers. With Dre in foul trouble early (he needs to stop committing such worthless fouls after turning the ball over), the alternative was Mav. It's not like Welch has been a turnover machine in other games. Mav on the other hand... 8 turnovers in 44 min of BT play

I just reviewed the DVR of the first half. Dre's first foul was out of frustration follwing a TO. That is what he can't do. We need him in there. His secod foul was not worthless as he was try to block a driving attept by the basket.

True, but he's still better than the alternative of Maverick. The odd part is that Welch's defense was better last year. It was inconsistent but he sometimes would harass the hell of out the ball-handler and pick his pocket. I thought his D would be better this year after losing all that weight.

Tubby.
Welch can not play defense against a team that athletic, he was horrible on the switches/help defense and could not guard a single guy Michigan had on the court.

I wasn't saying the second one was worthless. There have been a few times this year though where he's picked up some stupid early fouls like the one you mentioned.

I just reviewed the DVR of the first half. Dre's first foul was out of frustration follwing a TO. That is what he can't do. We need him in there. His secod foul was not worthless as he was try to block a driving attept by the basket.

True, but he's still better than the alternative of Maverick. The odd part is that Welch's defense was better last year. It was inconsistent but he sometimes would harass the hell of out the ball-handler and pick his pocket. I thought his D would be better this year after losing all that weight.

I think Welch has slower feet than Mav and Tubby thought Mav had a better chance of staying with Burke.

On the other hand Welch has quicker hands than Mav and can often slap away the ball.

Top Bottom