Rodney Tweet

Johnnyboy18

Reaction score
Damn we got threw waaaaayyyyy under the bus tonight fellas @Double__1 @AndreHollins @TMbakwe32 @aHolli_20

Rodney wasn't awake for the game. He couldn't even handle the ball. That's when I knew his head wasn't in it. Dre and Austin showed up and that's about it for the starters.

Rodney wasn't awake for the game. He couldn't even handle the ball. That's when I knew his head wasn't in it. Dre and Austin showed up and that's about it for the starters.

Trevor didn't show up? Trevor is so undervalued it's unreal. 13 pts, 10 rebs and 5 blocks. I'd say he did his part. He fought throughout the whole game. People will realize next year how important Trevor is to this team.

I would argue Dre didn't show up and only Austin and Trevor showed up today

Actually, they all showed up. They all CHOSE to come to the University of Minnesota, when they could have gone somewhere else, and honestly, going somewhere else might not have been the worst decision.

They were there, and as a former athlete, I can attest to the fact that somedays things just don't go your way. Maybe you are Michael Jordan and never had a bad day, but my guess is even MJ had bad days(at bb, not Bb, lol) and we know Tiger Woods never had a bad day.

Thing is, they were playing against one of the Top 5 teams in the country, possibly THE BEST team in the country. Sure, they are young and unexperienced, and our team is older and more experienced, but its altogether possible that they are just straight up the better team. I hear people complaining about the number of turnovers, but maybe Michigan's talented players had something to do with the # of turnovers we had?!

Is it possible that these young men are not putting forth 110% in practice and its translating into less than a stellar performance vs a Top rated team that came into our house?! Yes. Thats what Tubby seems to be indicating and so I believe him. Maybe this loss will fire the players up? Maybe they just aren't winners? Some people just don't have the heart to be a winner? But they are here, playing for our team, and I'm guessing that they are giving alot of themselves towards the team and I imagine that they are trying hard as well. Hard enough? Apparently not hard enough for Tubby? And I think thats Tubby's job to get down on them, not some fans sitting at home on the couch doing nothing to contribute to the program, other than offering non-professional criticism. Now I hope you notice I didn't say UN-professional, I'm not trying to insult you or anyone else, for I myself have on many occasions done the very same thing, offered up my NON-professional criticism, my negative opinion of players, coaches, the university, other fans, etc.. But I'm more and more coming to the opinion that this may not be the best thing for us as fans to be spending our time doing.

Many people have stated that players and recruits and former players and parents of recruits, etc., all frequent the GH. But does Tubby?! So all of our so called constructive criticism is doing what to help the program?! What do recruits considering coming to Minnesota think of fans talking negatively about current Gopher players? What do you think recruits parents think about it? I've heard about one father who claimed the criticism would help his son. But honestly, isn't that the coaching staffs job to give the players constructive criticism and help them out? Just because one parent thought it was ok, doesn't mean most will.

I'm coming more and more to the opinion that we as fans should do more cheering and showing support and showing our appreciation of the players and all they do, and for coming here in the first place.
Sure, the U gives them a free education, and a fine one at that, and I'd love to believe that athletes nation wide considered it an honor and a privelege to attend our fine institution of higher learning, but the reality is that most athletes don't care about the academics, and when they do, then we often lose them to Stanford or Harvard. Otherwise, most of these recruits we don't even recruit unless other schools also want them, too. So who, honestly, should be honored? Should they be honored to come here, or should we be honored to have them? How about both?!

Ok, I'll step down from my soapbox now, or for now at least, lol. Sorry about that, sports brings it out in me.

Michigan rarely forces turnovers. Even after last night they rank 245th in the country in forcing turnovers. Our turnover problem is self-inflicted.

Rodney's just pissed that Robinson Jr threw down that 360. That was really an in your face type of thing to do.

For the most part, we support them. Much more so than we do professional players. The boo birds have never flown in Williams arena, and believe me, I've wondered many times at what point it is socially acceptable to boo a college player (more so at The Bank), but I've never done it.

The worst it has gotten is sarcastic cheering. I'd say we support them pretty darn well.

Rodney's just pissed that Robinson Jr threw down that 360. That was really an in your face type of thing to do.

More like a 180. You rarely see a true 360. Robinson did half his spin on take off. Still a great dunk though.

Actually, they all showed up. They all CHOSE to come to the University of Minnesota, when they could have gone somewhere else, and honestly, going somewhere else might not have been the worst decision.

They were there, and as a former athlete, I can attest to the fact that somedays things just don't go your way. Maybe you are Michael Jordan and never had a bad day, but my guess is even MJ had bad days(at bb, not Bb, lol) and we know Tiger Woods never had a bad day.

Thing is, they were playing against one of the Top 5 teams in the country, possibly THE BEST team in the country. Sure, they are young and unexperienced, and our team is older and more experienced, but its altogether possible that they are just straight up the better team. I hear people complaining about the number of turnovers, but maybe Michigan's talented players had something to do with the # of turnovers we had?!

Is it possible that these young men are not putting forth 110% in practice and its translating into less than a stellar performance vs a Top rated team that came into our house?! Yes. Thats what Tubby seems to be indicating and so I believe him. Maybe this loss will fire the players up? Maybe they just aren't winners? Some people just don't have the heart to be a winner? But they are here, playing for our team, and I'm guessing that they are giving alot of themselves towards the team and I imagine that they are trying hard as well. Hard enough? Apparently not hard enough for Tubby? And I think thats Tubby's job to get down on them, not some fans sitting at home on the couch doing nothing to contribute to the program, other than offering non-professional criticism. Now I hope you notice I didn't say UN-professional, I'm not trying to insult you or anyone else, for I myself have on many occasions done the very same thing, offered up my NON-professional criticism, my negative opinion of players, coaches, the university, other fans, etc.. But I'm more and more coming to the opinion that this may not be the best thing for us as fans to be spending our time doing.

Many people have stated that players and recruits and former players and parents of recruits, etc., all frequent the GH. But does Tubby?! So all of our so called constructive criticism is doing what to help the program?! What do recruits considering coming to Minnesota think of fans talking negatively about current Gopher players? What do you think recruits parents think about it? I've heard about one father who claimed the criticism would help his son. But honestly, isn't that the coaching staffs job to give the players constructive criticism and help them out? Just because one parent thought it was ok, doesn't mean most will.

I'm coming more and more to the opinion that we as fans should do more cheering and showing support and showing our appreciation of the players and all they do, and for coming here in the first place.
Sure, the U gives them a free education, and a fine one at that, and I'd love to believe that athletes nation wide considered it an honor and a privelege to attend our fine institution of higher learning, but the reality is that most athletes don't care about the academics, and when they do, then we often lose them to Stanford or Harvard. Otherwise, most of these recruits we don't even recruit unless other schools also want them, too. So who, honestly, should be honored? Should they be honored to come here, or should we be honored to have them? How about both?!

Ok, I'll step down from my soapbox now, or for now at least, lol. Sorry about that, sports brings it out in me.

That was a custom made soapbox. :)

I agree that most of the players aren't really students in the classic sense, so the free education bit isn't really compensation. College hoops is a business, a big one. In terms of beneficiaries it probably ranks as follows (depending on the success of the program): 1) Coaches (generally very well paid and mobile); 2) Universities (a successful program is great for the brand and for fundraising); 3) Fans (entertainment and mobility--we have many options);4) Players (if you aren't going to the NBA you are easily controlled and manipulated).

The players need to be paid and, given the dynamics of the system, the locker room can be a fragile environment. Who knows what is going on in the gopher locker room these days.

There are two primary reasons that the gophers lost last night:

1) Michigan is a significantly better team (and better coached) that played its best game of the year. It has two lottery picks and a late first rounder. Even if Dre doesn't pick up the two quick fouls the gophers still lose because....

2) Tubby's system leaves no margin for error against really good teams. Our no movement iso offense means that we can't beat an athletically superior team by moving the ball all over the place. The ball always moves faster than the player so, if there is no ball movement, the faster more athletic players on defense will dominate. Last night Michigan shot the ball well and hustled back on defense when they missed so we had no fast break opportunities. Our half court offensive system creates great advantages for their defense because, when there is no plan, the offense gifts up its advantage.

A real ball movement offense would make a big difference, particularly against better teams.

Oh well. On to Northwestern.

Ok driving into the lane doing a behind the back dribble in traffic, being sloppy = turnovers. It's because Mn decided to make stupid plays IN TRAFFIC = turnovers. Sure you gotta give some props to Michigan's D, however with most of those turnovers there is only one entity to point at. I'm a "former" athlete as well. Doesn't mean a damn thing.

I am going to give Rodney the benefit of the doubt and assume he has misinterpreted the phrase "thrown under the bus" to mean that the Gophers were soundly thrashed or the refs were agaisnt them etc.

If he is using it correctly to go after Tubby's post-game comments, this is a worrying development.

For the most part, we support them. Much more so than we do professional players. The boo birds have never flown in Williams arena, and believe me, I've wondered many times at what point it is socially acceptable to boo a college player many a times (more so at The Bank), but I've never done it.

The worst it has gotten is sarcastic cheering. I'd say we support them pretty darn well.

+1,000. I agree 100%. Well said man.

Side note. I would never 'boo' our own players. Wisconsin and Iowa players, different story. :)

I have been and always will be a major supporter of Rodney Williams and his importance to the program. But, it has to be acknowledged that he didn't come to play last night, it was ugly, flat out ugly in a game that he should have dominated. If he wants to play in the NBA, he should know to bring everything he's got in a game like last night.

a couple of years ago when Rodney did his 360 against Michigan with the Gophers up 15 or so-- how did the offended team respond? If my memory is correct, Michigan came back and won. How did we respond this year?

Michigan is good, they run a fun system and the first half Hardaway couldn't miss. It was entertaining just not fulfilling.

The under the bus comment is probably made because Rodney remembers how Tubby has done this to just about every senior he has had here so far. Al Nolen and Damien Johnson have talked about it in the past. Tubby's comments were about how bad the practices were etc-- but he never has said anything about that being the coaches job and the coaches responsibility.

The tweet was sent to the starters. Tubby was quoted after the game saying the starters practiced poorly on Wednesday. I think it's clear that tubby went after those guys after the game. I can't blame him either.

The players should have recognized themselves that they didn't play well. They certainly shouldn't have been offended that the coach called them out on it.

The players should have recognized themselves that they didn't play well. They certainly shouldn't have been offended that the coach called them out on it.

My feelings exactly. If they didn't want to get called out, then they probably shouldn't have played so stupidly on a national stage.

a couple of years ago when Rodney did his 360 against Michigan with the Gophers up 15 or so-- how did the offended team respond? If my memory is correct, Michigan came back and won. How did we respond this year?

If you're talking about the first one he ever did at Michigan his freshman year, the Gophers were down at the time and ended up losing by about 30.

If you're talking about the first one he ever did at Michigan his freshman year, the Gophers were down at the time and ended up losing by about 30.

Yep, after looking up the highlight, it was 18-16 Michigan when Rodney steals it and does the 360 to tie it up. Then, Michigan won by like 25 lol.

Regarding his tweet, Tubby's seniors always get mad at him, probably cause he usually holds them more accountable than anyone and will be very quick to get on them if they don't bring it, fair or unfair. Nothing Tubby said was that bad this time IMO, unless I didn't see it all. He basically said practice sucked and it carried over and they didn't play hard on the defensive end. Maybe they feel like they played hard, but they sure didn't execute well, at the very least.. Coaches have said that same mess for years.

There is no doubt that Tubby tossed his starters under the bus. When I heard Tubby's post-game analysis it reminded me that when things go bad, Tubby will quickly blame his players for the failure and not mention where he and his coaching staff failed. It's been a constant trend with Tubby and I'm sure it's one of the factors that has led to some kids quitting the team and moving elsewhere.

Should Tubby have mentioned how poorly his starters practiced the day before to the media? Probably not. Those issues should be internal and stay internal. Tubby was obviously frustrated and venting. He needed to have better composure.

That being said, Rodney and Joe Coleman played a pathetic game last night. They were both incredibly sloppy and deficient on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. Rodney, as a senior, has no excuse for the moping he's doing. He needs to man up and channel his attitude into a higher level of intensity rather than pout and droop because his coach called him out in public.

In the end, Rodney needs to really take a deep look into his soul and determine if he really wants to play basketball at an elite level. Presently, Rodney is living off his athleticism, but hasn't appreciably improved his dribbling skills or his shooting skills to make himself worthy of an NBA draft pick. I believe it was Jim Peterson, whom I heard on WCCO yesterday afternoon, who pointed out that Rodney is a lesser version of Wes Johnson. THAT is not a compliment to Rodney.

From what I saw last night, this Gopher team is right on the edge of either pulling it together and making a significant jump in improvement over the rest of the season...or...of watching another B1G season slip away into mediocrity. The question is: Can Tubby motivate this team to greatness or will he lose them like he lost previous teams?

I have been and always will be a major supporter of Rodney Williams and his importance to the program. But, it has to be acknowledged that he didn't come to play last night, it was ugly, flat out ugly in a game that he should have dominated. If he wants to play in the NBA, he should know to bring everything he's got in a game like last night.

lets not say 'he didn't come to play'..
1.)we had almost no transition baskets... rodney's strength.. it was all half-court... rodneys weakness.
2.) there was no movement in our half court offense.. no backdoor cutting, etc. rodney's strenth is not simple post-ups.
3.) he had an athletic, aggressive freshman bodying him all night.. and getting no senior/homecooking calls on the bodying....= frustration.

this game simply didn't fit to his strengths.

Nice points. I was an athlete in college as well, and that makes me of no special qualifications to judge behavior on this board. But I imagine that I am like the majority, I cane complain and I can complement. So potential recruits and or parents may see negative comment? Big deal, grow up someday. This board isn't suppose to be 'Walden's Pond' where everyone is happy and sings happy gay song. Go to any other college board and the same percentage will compliment and complain. Life happens.

And my complaint about last nite-Yes, maybe Michigan is just better, but to never even threaten them on your home court smacks of a lack of effort and passion. I was very disappointed and the next game I will be glued to the TV cheering them on.

There is no doubt that Tubby tossed his starters under the bus. When I heard Tubby's post-game analysis it reminded me that when things go bad, Tubby will quickly blame his players for the failure and not mention where he and his coaching staff failed. It's been a constant trend with Tubby and I'm sure it's one of the factors that has led to some kids quitting the team and moving elsewhere.

Should Tubby have mentioned how poorly his starters practiced the day before to the media? Probably not. Those issues should be internal and stay internal. Tubby was obviously frustrated and venting. He needed to have better composure.

That being said, Rodney and Joe Coleman played a pathetic game last night. They were both incredibly sloppy and deficient on both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. Rodney, as a senior, has no excuse for the moping he's doing. He needs to man up and channel his attitude into a higher level of intensity rather than pout and droop because his coach called him out in public.

In the end, Rodney needs to really take a deep look into his soul and determine if he really wants to play basketball at an elite level. Presently, Rodney is living off his athleticism, but hasn't appreciably improved his dribbling skills or his shooting skills to make himself worthy of an NBA draft pick. I believe it was Jim Peterson, whom I heard on WCCO yesterday afternoon, who pointed out that Rodney is a lesser version of Wes Johnson. THAT is not a compliment to Rodney.

From what I saw last night, this Gopher team is right on the edge of either pulling it together and making a significant jump in improvement over the rest of the season...or...of watching another B1G season slip away into mediocrity. The question is: Can Tubby motivate this team to greatness or will he lose them like he lost previous teams?

I walked out of the building last night wondering if we were going to be dealing with a suspense filled Selection Sunday.

It's turning out that Illinois isn't that good and we have a very good starting five but no bench and no system. Hard to know what to make of the situation.

I walked out of the building last night wondering if we were going to be dealing with a suspense filled Selection Sunday.

It's turning out that Illinois isn't that good and we have a very good starting five but no bench and no system. Hard to know what to make of the situation.

Calm down dude. We lost to the #5 team by 8. Yes, it was at home. Yes, they were down 19 at one point. Yes, they turn it over way too much. But step off the ledge, nothing this team has done up till now points to a nervous Selection Sunday, not even close. A loss @ Northwestern on the other hand.....

Top Bottom