Whining...

samrob

Reaction score
Our guys have got to stop whining after every foul called against them...especially Rodney. Grow Up! Plus I think it hurts us on those close calls that can go either way. You earn respect from the officials over time (like Richard Coffey did) by being a stand up player. You can also "earn" a reputation as a whiner as I think has happened with Rodney. It's pointless, the refs are not going to change their call and after a while I think it hurts the team by irritating the officials.

Bad for the gopher players but good for the gopher hole posters?

Our guys have got to stop whining after every foul called against them...especially Rodney. Grow Up! Plus I think it hurts us on those close calls that can go either way. You earn respect from the officials over time (like Richard Coffey did) by being a stand up player. You can also "earn" a reputation as a whiner as I think has happened with Rodney. It's pointless, the refs are not going to change their call and after a while I think it hurts the team by irritating the officials.
Rodney was terrible tonight I couldn't believe it ! Looks so bad all the whining. couldn't agree with you more!!

There is a Gopher on this team who cries more than Rodney?

Who on this team cries more on EVERY call than our friend Rodney? He should be more mature out there....just play hard and be a leader. Leave the "working the refs" to Tubby

A lot of the time they are asking for clarification as to what they did so they can avoid doing it again.

Who on this team cries more on EVERY call than our friend Rodney? He should be more mature out there....just play hard and be a leader. Leave the "working the refs" to Tubby

Is that a real question? Because if so I have an answer, and it rhymes with Schmelliot.

He's another whiner....but maybe it's not too late to reform the lad

Toward the end at least I thought there were a few bad calls/no calls that went against us.

Elliot had a foul tonight where he didn't react at all. I couldn't believe it. Good for him.

Rodney is and has been the poutiest player on the team for some time. His body language can be really bad, and in a game like tonight where he was pretty lost, it's even more magnified. He needs to be more of a leader and display a better attitude on the floor.

Eliason whines 10x more than Rodney. Plus you can tell Rodney actually talks with the refs, where Elliot complains.

I'm glad we're all telling a 21 year old who's played this game his whole life how he should carry himself on the court. If you don't like the way he acts you don't have to watch him play. There's two great hockey teams playing across the street go watch them if you don't like what you see at the barn. What I see is a competitor in Rodney. Someone who doesn't accept losing. I'm glad he's on my team.

A lot of the time they are asking for clarification as to what they did so they can avoid doing it again.

Oh my....

Rodney whined all night long, donna. He wasnt asking what he did wrong.

You know it.

I'm glad we're all telling a 21 year old who's played this game his whole life how he should carry himself on the court. If you don't like the way he acts you don't have to watch him play. There's two great hockey teams playing across the street go watch them if you don't like what you see at the barn. What I see is a competitor in Rodney. Someone who doesn't accept losing. I'm glad he's on my team.

Bingo, +1.

Rodney whined and pouted all night. His body language was poor. He slumped his shoulders and pouted both times Eliason came in for him. Rodney will bounce back.

Rodney whined and pouted all night. His body language was poor. ... Rodney will bounce back.

That's what I saw, too. We don't want it to happen, but it does. Rodney needs to respond to the affirmative Wednesday night, and I think he will.

As a team, we did too much whining last night, fans included. Michigan just flat-out out-toughed the Gophers; the refs had nothing to do with it despite the serial booing of the striped shirts in the 2nd half.

The fans at the Barn are just as guilty. Get over it and give positive cheering/vibes to the team.

The fans at the Barn are just as guilty. Get over it and give positive cheering/vibes to the team.

The same people who are making complaints about the players and the fans (mainly the student section) are the same people who go to the games and sit on their hands the whole game only getting up for the rouser. If you want the positive "vibes" and cheers why don't you go and start them.

The same people who are making complaints about the players and the fans (mainly the student section) are the same people who go to the games and sit on their hands the whole game only getting up for the rouser. If you want the positive "vibes" and cheers why don't you go and start them.

I try my best, I can only state my opinion. It's just not a good look blaming the refs. It makes you look weak IMO. The refs did not make us play passive, tight, and small, we did. And the crowd being overly negative and pessimistic only helps the opposition. I would prefer everyone stand the entire game, but 75% of the fan base is over 50.

This is a reason we like sports. It's a microcosm of life. When you're faced with adversity you don't hang your head and feel sorry for yourself.

Honestly, I think the players and to some extent, the crowd get on the officials because Tubby doesn't. It's frustrating when you just watch Tubby sitting on his stool all game even when the officials occasionally get calls wrong. We all see how Crean, Izzo, Ryan, etc pester the refs all game, and oddly enough, those are the teams that seem to get the most calls going their way.

If Tubby isn't going to let the refs know that they made a bad call, the players and the crowd feel the need to do so.

Though for the majority of the game, I thought the refs called it pretty fair. When that first "THESE REFS SUCK" cheer started up, I didn't really get it. Oddly enough, we had a bunch of calls go against us after that. I think that that particular chant needs to be dropped, since I've seen the same pattern play out in other games... get on the refs, sure, but don't taunt them while our guys are trying to fight back in to the game.

Honestly, I think the players and to some extent, the crowd get on the officials because Tubby doesn't. It's frustrating when you just watch Tubby sitting on his stool all game even when the officials occasionally get calls wrong. We all see how Crean, Izzo, Ryan, etc pester the refs all game, and oddly enough, those are the teams that seem to get the most calls going their way.

If Tubby isn't going to let the refs know that they made a bad call, the players and the crowd feel the need to do so.

Though for the majority of the game, I thought the refs called it pretty fair. When that first "THESE REFS SUCK" cheer started up, I didn't really get it. Oddly enough, we had a bunch of calls go against us after that. I think that that particular chant needs to be dropped, since I've seen the same pattern play out in other games... get on the refs, sure, but don't taunt them while our guys are trying to fight back in to the game.

I wouldn't say it was bad officiating in the traditional sense, it was just wildly inconsistent. For both teams. Every possession you had no clue what was and what wasn't a foul. There is nothing more frustrating than that for a player.

And yes, working refs is a part of basketball. Watch just 2 minutes of an NBA game and you'll see 10 times worse what you see from the Gophers. It is a part of basketball these days, like it or not. It isn't going to change and just doesn't make sense to me to be the thing we complain about after getting thoroughly outplayed for the majority of the game.

But I'd bet 99% go home and complain, or whine if you will, about their boss ...

Venting at home and getting that frustration amongst loved ones by talking it out, can be okay. Venting at work and not talking to your boss is unprofessional.

I like my boss, we talk. I didn't care for the officials inconsistency, I booed them. I feel Tubby is concerned with his personal affect and his character, he represents the university well, a class act. Tubby doesn't try to humiliate the refs a compliment to himself, the B1G, to the refs, and the university. I just wish that had more effect then the whining coaches in the conference and what I perceive as the better calls they seem to get. You may know who I am referring to... The students chanting THSES REFS SUCK, probably doesn't help. Playing better would make the biggest impact.

Venting at home and getting that frustration amongst loved ones by talking it out, can be okay. Venting at work and not talking to your boss is unprofessional.

I like my boss, we talk. I didn't care for the officials inconsistency, I booed them. I feel Tubby is concerned with his personal affect and his character, he represents the university well, a class act. Tubby doesn't try to humiliate the refs a compliment to himself, the B1G, to the refs, and the university. I just wish that had more effect then the whining coaches in the conference and what I perceive as the better calls they seem to get. You may know who I am referring to... The students chanting THSES REFS SUCK, probably doesn't help. Playing better would make the biggest impact.

Agreed completely about Tubby. Wish his "kinder" demeanor worked with officials, but the arguing of Bo seems more effective for whatever reason.

I just give the guys a little more slack with complaining for multiple reasons. They are 18-22 year olds, playing in front of 15K people, and many with their futures and millions of dollars on the line. Imagine that was your job and you felt a co worker was screwing you over. Plus you can complain and argue without getting in any trouble, sometimes it even helps you. Throw in that it is the norm in every basketball game beyond the college level, and I think it is a pretty minor issue.

Top Bottom