Win the next four games

bga1

Reaction score
If we do that it will all be good. This is a nice stretch for us- get road wins at NW and Wisky (they are not that good) and then come home and take care of business with Nebraska and Iowa. If we do that we will be 7 - 2 and right in the thick of it.

Pretty disappointing play tonight- the Barn was ready to explode and it would have been an amazing night had we won. Michigan is good but somehow Beilein just totally has Tubby's number. His offense and defense seem to be the perfect foil for us.

Maybe this is the game that Tubby finally gives up on the 5 subs in at once. Nah.

Win the next 4.

NW wins at Illinois.... Illinois spinning downwards - games at NW and Wisconsin will be no easy wins!

Easier said than done but if we are going to be any good we need to win all four of these games. The game at WI will be tough with grinch home cookin, etc.

northwestern beat Illinois by 14 points on the road tonight. Illinois is in a tailspin.

I want to agree, but winning 8-on-5 games at Kohl Center is a b$%^. I refuse to get upset if we lose that game.

I know this wont happen, but it certainly possible to win our next 8.
NW, Wiscy, Nebraska, Iowa, mich St., Illinois, Wiscy, Iowa

These are all games we can win. WI on the road would be a game we probably won't be favored. MSU on the road will be tough too. If Iowa is shooting well, they will be tough on the road. The big ten schedule is a killer.

Take this s*** one game at a time.

People wonder why this board is unreadable after losses like today.

Rule #1 you should of have learned about the B1G basketball season this year is home court is an advantage, not a guarantee. And with that line of thought, no home court is safe either. This team is good enough to go into anyone's place and win in the conference on a given night. And we will lose at home occasionally to top ranked teams in the nation when we fail to execute the game plan and turn over the ball.

Rule #2 don't count your chickens before they hatch. Wisconsin's margin of victory @Nebraska was 6, @Indiana it was 5. Nebraska isn't in the same stratosphere as Indiana, but we don't know what kind of squad is going to be coming at us night in and night out. I think with our early ranking we were presumed to get people's best shot. And I think we took good body blows by the Hoosiers and especially the Wolverines in our last two. Don't fall prey to the thinking that this team can cruise through some of the "lesser" schools in B1G play, say Purdue, or our return trip to Breslin Center, where I'm sure Izzo and Sparty will have the green carpet rolled out for us.

Rule #3 Every game is important. And that's a rule that team could probably take to heart when they are mis-dribbling or making errant passes. That doesn't mean treat every win like its a season changing turn, or every loss like its the hole in the hull that sunk the titanic. Don't try to be retrospective when you should be living in and enjoying the ups and downs this journey has to offer. Don't reach into history to try and compare your feelings about it, just take it all in so when the time comes you can articulate in a productive and compelling manner.

We lost to Duke.

We lost @ Indiana.

We lost to Michigan.

Not a lot of bad teams up there. Get some perspective on where we are in the season.

Rule #1 you should of have learned about the B1G basketball season this year is home court is an advantage, not a guarantee. And with that line of thought, no home court is safe either. This team is good enough to go into anyone's place and win in the conference on a given night. And we will lose at home occasionally to top ranked teams in the nation when we fail to execute the game plan and turn over the ball.

Rule #2 don't count your chickens before they hatch. Wisconsin's margin of victory @Nebraska was 6, @Indiana it was 5. Nebraska isn't in the same stratosphere as Indiana, but we don't know what kind of squad is going to be coming at us night in and night out. I think with our early ranking we were presumed to get people's best shot. And I think we took good body blows by the Hoosiers and especially the Wolverines in our last two. Don't fall prey to the thinking that this team can cruise through some of the "lesser" schools in B1G play, say Purdue, or our return trip to Breslin Center, where I'm sure Izzo and Sparty will have the green carpet rolled out for us.

Rule #3 Every game is important. And that's a rule that team could probably take to heart when they are mis-dribbling or making errant passes. That doesn't mean treat every win like its a season changing turn, or every loss like its the hole in the hull that sunk the titanic. Don't try to be retrospective when you should be living in and enjoying the ups and downs this journey has to offer. Don't reach into history to try and compare your feelings about it, just take it all in so when the time comes you can articulate in a productive and compelling manner.

We lost to Duke.

We lost @ Indiana.

We lost to Michigan.

Not a lot of bad teams up there. Get some perspective on where we are in the season.

+1,000

We lost to Duke.

We lost @ Indiana.

We lost to Michigan.

We are FANS West Coast- players and coaches are supposed to take games one at a time- that's best for performance. Fans pay to attend. We take games as many at a time as we please. It was meant to be a positive post- that we will be fine but we need to take care of the next four if we are going to compete for the Big Ten title. My point is that we are still in good shape and that we are plenty capable of winning the next 4. That is all.

All I've learned about this team so far is that they're not a top 5 team (which I'm pretty sure most already knew), and that we're good enough to be a top 15 team (another thing I think most believe). That can change, but results so far says this is the case.

With that in mind, we only have one more top 5 team left on the schedule with Indiana at home. I'd like to think there's the possibility we can still make hay in this conference. After the losses though, doubt can creep in, so they definitely have to fight that off. The most important game on the schedule is always the next one of course, so go grab that win at Welsh-Ryan, where we've lost four in a row btw (including the one after we won at Kohl Center and were 16-2), and get good vibes back. We'll be alright.

And stop turning the ball over. The single most important element of our game right now IMO. It's giving the opposition too many easy buckets. We lost to IU by 7 and Michigan by 8. I know so many things happen in these games, but when you have those 3 turnovers in 4 possession stretches that we tend to have that leads to 7 transition layups/dunk points for the other team, you just might have cost yourself the game right there alone. 40 minutes of focus on protecting the rock is going to be an absolute necessity when we play these elite teams if we wanna see victories. They didn't get that these last two games unfortunately.

Home court not an advantage so far in B1G (road teams winning at 50% clip)

Rule #1 you should of have learned about the B1G basketball season this year is home court is an advantage, not a guarantee. And with that line of thought, no home court is safe either. This team is good enough to go into anyone's place and win in the conference on a given night.

Thanks for the perspective WCG11. Disappointing to lose & play so poorly (TO's and matador defense) against Michigan, but it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Home court has been far from a guarantee in the B1G so far this season. There have been 5 games in the B1G this week. The home teams are 0-5. For the season, home teams have won 14 games and the road teams have won 14 games.

Go figure.

The main thing I've learned about the Gophers so far this season is we're pretty good -- the Gophers' top 7 (maybe 8) can compete with really good teams -- but we're not good enough to spot elite teams 15-20 points and expect to win. Gotta' shore that up.

Beat Northwestern.

We lost to Duke.

We lost @ Indiana.

We lost to Michigan.

I'm not sure I've ever agreed more with anything on this board. Can we engrave this somewhere?

Go figure.

The main thing I've learned about the Gophers so far this season is we're pretty good -- the Gophers' top 7 (maybe 8) can compete with really good teams -- but we're not good enough to spot elite teams 15-20 points and expect to win. Gotta' shore that up.

Beat Northwestern.

Curious who you see as top 7 or 8 (I can guess the first five)? Are you thinking Welch, Eliason and Ingram? I agree the top 5 are as good as anywhere but Welch, Eliason and Ingram should be 8,9,10 guys not 6,7,8 (in my opinion) on a good team.

For me I think the squad's biggest weakness is the absence of one or two players who challenge for a starting spot and are not a notable drop in talent. My hope is Oto somehow figures things out and maybe Wally shows something and joins the rotation.

FWIW, unless Wally starts playing, burning his redshirt seems like a terrible decision. I know Tubby discussed with his parents but you should redshirt a player if they are only going to end of the bench walk-on minutes.

Curious who you see as top 7 or 8 (I can guess the first five)? Are you thinking Welch, Eliason and Ingram?

Welch and EE are 6-7. I don't cringe when they come in the game. They can provide stuff for the Gophers, as Welch did last night (especially so when he doesn't have to play with 4 other reserves).

#8? That's a good question. I always think of Jim Molinari's quote. ... "Play 8, trust 7."

That's about how I feel with this squad, certainly when we're playing the upper-shelf teams in the Big Ten.

Welch and EE are 6-7. I don't cringe when they come in the game. They can provide stuff for the Gophers, as Welch did last night (especially so when he doesn't have to play with 4 other reserves).

#8? That's a good question. I always think of Jim Molinari's quote. ... "Play 8, trust 7."

That's about how I feel with this squad, certainly when we're playing the upper-shelf teams in the Big Ten.

+1

Top Bottom