Andre going out with 3 fouls changed the complexion of the game

station19

Reaction score
Gophers seemed disorganized(especially after some bad turnovers) and became desperate with their only true pg on the bench.

It was actually 2 fouls. The point is correct though Mac had three quick turnovers. Bad stretch which made a big difference.

Julian should be coming in before Mav does and Mav should not be running the point.

It was actually 2 fouls. The point is correct though Mac had three quick turnovers. Bad stretch which made a big difference.

Yes 2 fouls. We can't afford to have him on the bench.

With andre on the court we do not go down by 19, or whatever it was.

Julian should be coming in before Mav does and Mav should not be running the point.

We can live with Julian or Mav at the 2 for a few minutes, but we don't have a pg other than andre.

Yes 2 fouls. We can't afford to have him on the bench.

With andre on the court we do not go down by 19, or whatever it was.

He was on the court when we went down 19. That was in the 2nd half when he had come back in, I think.

I don't think this was the main issue at all, we were only down in the 1st half by 6, turnovers was the issue, was not andre being out, welch played well today, we would have most likely lost this game even if andre played more in the 1st half

Mav, Oto, and Welch had seven of our 15 turnovers. Welch gets a bit of pass because of 8 points. The other two had no business in the game tonight. Frustrating loss. I could see Michigan in the final this year. They can shoot.

Tubby's fault for not getting more depth on the team. When and reserve comes in there is a huge drop off. Not knocking his coaching at all, just the fact that MN does not have a good backup guard on the team.

Why don't we have Austin Hollins run point whenever Dre is in foul trouble? He seems more capable than Mav to me...

Mav, Oto, and Welch had seven of our 15 turnovers. Welch gets a bit of pass because of 8 points. The other two had no business in the game tonight. Frustrating loss. I could see Michigan in the final this year. They can shoot.

There is a reason why we have more TO's in the first half.

Tubby's fault for not getting more depth on the team.

Tubby's spring recruits are killing this team. He definitely should have saved a couple of those 2010 scholarships instead of scrambling for a bunch of marginal guys.

Tubby's spring recruits are killing this team. He definitely should have saved a couple of those 2010 scholarships instead of scrambling for a bunch of marginal guys.

If he had done that, as in never taken Mav and Chip, we would have ended that season with literally 6 scholarship players that were able to play.

Let Dre play with 2 fouls!!! We can not afford to get behind and try insane comebacks every game.

Why don't we have Austin Hollins run point whenever Dre is in foul trouble? He seems more capable than Mav to me...

Love Austin, and even though he's improved in this area, I dont think he's close to good enough as a ball handler to play point in the Big Ten, especially without having another capable ball handler on the floor.

If he had done that, as in never taken Mav and Chip, we would have ended that season with literally 6 scholarship players that were able to play.

What? Someone paying attention? You don't belong on GH Cayman.

Andre needs to quit getting those cheap frustration fouls after a miss or turnover...they are killing him!

Let Dre play with 2 fouls!!! We can not afford to get behind and try insane comebacks every game.

This. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Clem's 'rule' being that guys only sat until half-time if they got a 3rd foul and it worked well. Tubby always pulls guys at 2. I get it in some cases. But against a team like Michigan, I'd rather lose because Dre fouled out with 5 minutes left than get buried by 19 because he sat for 15 minutes of the first half. Plus, you know that B1G refs won't foul out the home team's star player unless they commit a misdemeanor.

This. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember Clem's 'rule' being that guys only sat until half-time if they got a 3rd foul and it worked well. Tubby always pulls guys at 2. I get it in some cases. But against a team like Michigan, I'd rather lose because Dre fouled out with 5 minutes left than get buried by 19 because he sat for 15 minutes of the first half. Plus, you know that B1G refs won't foul out the home team's star player unless they commit a misdemeanor.

Ha....maybe that's why I screwed up the title to the thread.:)

We were down by 6 at halftime. Dre on the bench in the first half is not where the game was lost.

We were down by 6 at halftime. Dre on the bench in the first half is not where the game was lost.

It's not where it was lost, but it didn't help. Mav turned the ball over twice immediately upon entering the game and we were soon down 10. If Dre stays in, we are probably up at half.

Oh, yeah, it was ugly. Mav and Oto had 4 TOs on what seemed like 4 consecutive possessions. I hope their moms weren't sitting near me.....

That said: 20-7 run in first 6:24 of the 2nd half to put Blue Puke up by 19 was the killer. Minnesota FULL timeout.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=330170135

There were obviously other big plays, but this stretch, with all our starters in, killed us.

Thought Dre was a bit tentative early in the second half as he tried to work his way into the game after sitting for 15 minutes. He eventually got going but by then it was too late. Id have liked to see him come back for a 5 minute stretch in the first half. Obviously that doesn't guarantee he and our team play better and he could get another foul, but I think its worth it to keep your most important player involved in the game.

Thought Dre was a bit tentative early in the second half as he tried to work his way into the game after sitting for 15 minutes. He eventually got going but by then it was too late. Id have liked to see him come back for a 5 minute stretch in the first half. Obviously that doesn't guarantee he and our team play better and he could get another foul, but I think its worth it to keep your most important player involved in the game.

That's a great point. With regards to what someone else said, this seems to be the way Clem handled 2 fouls in the first half to a critical player. But you have to have guys that are smart enough to not get a 3rd foul and good enough to not play OLE! defense. Bobby Jackson.

If Dre stays in, we are probably up at half.

Maybe. Or maybe he continues to commit a foul every three minutes and fouls out before the last TV timeout of the first half. I didn't have a problem with Tubby sitting Dre a stretch after the second foul. Mav didn't play well, but Welch was solid the remainder of the half. I would bet Tubby would have gone back to Dre if he needed to, but Welch's play allowed Dre to sit. I would not have minded giving Dre a few more minutes late in the half when Welch was obviously tired, but if I recall correctly we had the ball down 3 or 4 with less than 40 seconds left and an opportunity to have the last real possession of the half. Instead of making that shot and going in down 1 or 2, we didn't score and left time for Michigan to score again to go up six at the break. The big run in the second half came with the starters playing most of the minutes.

If Tubby leaves him in and he picks up his 3rd in the first half, then everyone would have been all over him. Then what if he picks up his fourth early in the 2nd half? Then you'd have to sit him for a good chunk of time which would be worse in my opinion. Rather have your best scorer in the second half than the first half.

Top Bottom