Loss not biggest frustration for me tonight

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
The loss sucked, but to me, what sucked worse, was listening to Vital go on and on about scUM new facilities and $100 mil expansion, et al.

I am so sick and tired of being in the B1G and having some of the worst BB facilities. And we don't even have something on the burner yet...just a plan to make a plan to hopefully maybe someday start to build something.

We better hope Tubby doesn't quit...no decent coach would take this job considering our facility situation.

Don't worry. The biggest hurdle has been crossed with Maturi gone. It's a matter of time. The new A.D. gets it.

The loss sucked, but to me, what sucked worse, was listening to Vital go on and on about scUM new facilities and $100 mil expansion, et al.

I am so sick and tired of being in the B1G and having some of the worst BB facilities. And we don't even have something on the burner yet...just a plan to make a plan to hopefully maybe someday start to build something.

We better hope Tubby doesn't quit...no decent coach would take this job considering our facility situation.

Yes, facilities.

That is why MN is not as successful as fans hope.....

Yes, facilities.

Where did he say that?

But, you are ignorant if you don't think new facilities won't play a part in the BBall program's success.

Yes, facilities.

If you think being the only BIG 10 program without a practice facility is not a handicap when recruiting high school kids you are naive.
If you think recruiting top players doesn't help a program you are ignorant.

Well, he had Joel run a 'tight ship', keep us in the black and got a neat baseball stadium so we don't have to play at Target Field/Dome II. Priorities.

I know I'm in the minority here, however, I absolutely LOVE 'The Barn' and don't want a new NBA style arena, but I despise the raised floor. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. The love for that floor that so many people around here have just makes me shake my head with question. I don't get it. The Barn I love, the raised floor I hate.

I don't mind the raised floor that much, but I sure don't think it is anything special.

Nothing is better because it is new, but nothing is better because it is old either.

I know I'm in the minority here, however, I absolutely LOVE 'The Barn' and don't want a new NBA style arena, but I despise the raised floor. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. The love for that floor that so many people around here have just makes me shake my head with question. I don't get it. The Barn I love, the raised floor I hate.

They could play outside for all I care, I want a facility the kids like not a bunch of fans. If te kids think its cool they will want to come and play here. If not, well the studs will go somewhere else.

The hardest thing for me is Minnesota bandwagon fans. So many climb on and then piss and moan about how much more they know then the coaches. Then on top of that say things like I knew we would lose but I was hoping for a miracle. I would rather those fans go cheer for Duke or Kentucky. At least they could be happy at that point

Well, he had Joel run a 'tight ship', keep us in the black and got a neat baseball stadium so we don't have to play at Target Field/Dome II. Priorities.

The thing that killed me about Joel was that he NEVER seemed to have any plan or vision when it came to the hoops program in regards to facilities. When Teague got here one of the first things that he mentioned was that a big part of his job is to create a vision and have a plan in regards to facilities because they are so important, even if funds are not immediately available. That way a number can be held out as a goal when it comes to fundraising instead of always nickeling and diming facilities budgets. Couldn't agree more.

What really frustrated me tonight is that Rodney Williams still hasn't learned how to play reasonably intelligent basketball. I doubt a new facility would change this.

I agree completely that there is a facilities problem and that the Barn needs to be modernized. I'm not sure that a new practice facility and an updated arena, though necessary, will be a pair of magic bullets. We probably have the most beautiful college football stadium in the country and it hasn't made a rat's ass worth of a difference.

Tubby has managed to assemble some pretty good talent (at least a strong starting lineup). The fact that he runs a system where one guy handles the ball and four guys stand around means that you need to have superior talent to be successful. That has nothing to do with the facilities. Facilities are nice but people are more important and there is still no evidence that Teague, Kill and Tubby are the right people.

As much as I love the barn, I would rather have good recruits and cheer for a winning team over the barn. I get sick of all the old timers who say they love the barn but when they are at the game all they so is sit on their hands all game, we need to stop trying to please them and we need to start pleasing the next generation. Besides, those folks will show up no matter the arena as long the team is winning. The barn does not have that special meaning that all these old timers think it has. Recruits don't know anything or care about what happened at the barn years before they were born. Its like expecting a kid to enjoy the typewriter you gave him because its historic and was invented before computers.

The Barn has lost that lovin feeling.....

As much as I love the barn, I would rather have good recruits and cheer for a winning team over the barn. I get sick of all the old timers who say they love the barn but when they are at the game all they so is sit on their hands all game, we need to stop trying to please them and we need to start pleasing the next generation. Besides, those folks will show up no matter the arena as long the team is winning. The barn does not have that special meaning that all these old timers think it has. Recruits don't know anything or care about what happened at the barn years before they were born. Its like expecting a kid to enjoy the typewriter you gave him because its historic and was invented before computers.
+14,625 spruce up the Barn and get that darn practice facility ASAP

It's not The Barn. The Barn is the best venue in the Twin Cities when it's rocking. The basketball players spend 5 - 10 hours there a week during the season. They would spend much, much, much, much, much more time than that at a dedicated practice facility the way they are laid out these days. Just yahoo some of the modern practice facilities.

The Barn is great, but where they really do the work would be at a modern, ballin', practice facility.

+1. Next time I'm in Philly, I wanna buy you a beer, or shot, or Dr. Pepper, or whatever you prefer. I'm a fan of the Black Sheep, personally.

Focus only on him. Great athlete. Horrible positioning on defense, often one pass behind. On offense, he doesn't screen or use screens, posts up half- heartedly. Holds on to the ball too long when he catches it on the wing.
His IQ for the game has increased only slightly in five years. He should be a monster with his talent, but he's unpredictable because he doesn't react fast enough to some basic things.

Focus only on him. Great athlete. Horrible positioning on defense, often one pass behind. On offense, he doesn't screen or use screens, posts up half- heartedly. Holds on to the ball too long when he catches it on the wing.
His IQ for the game has increased only slightly in five years. He should be a monster with his talent, but he's unpredictable because he doesn't react fast enough to some basic things.

So you're saying that your basketball iq is so high that you can critique him? You know more about basketball than Rodney? And you're basing this off a bad game?

I absolutely love the "positioning on defense" comment. You have no idea what you're talking about!

Classic gopherhole bs...can't wait for more of your breakdowns of how players suck and so on

Then the whole team has a low basketball IQ. They all hold the ball forever. None of them hold screens or use screens and they don't seal in the post. That's Tubby's iso system. One guy pounds the ball; four guys stand around; mix in the very occasional high/low. Heavily reliant on individual talent. Ridiculously easy to defend.

I agree somewhat about defense because he relies on his ability to block shots (which he does very well).

So you're saying that your basketball iq is so high that you can critique him? You know more about basketball than Rodney? And you're basing this off a bad game?

I absolutely love the "positioning on defense" comment. You have no idea what you're talking about!

Classic gopherhole bs...can't wait for more of your breakdowns of how players suck and so on
You have no idea what my background is. And yes, there's a very good chance that I know more about basketball than Rodney. You asked for examples, so I gave you some.

No you didn't, you said poor positioning on defense--that isn't an example that is a bs comment. You said he holds on to the ball too long on the wing, is that Rodney's fault or the fault of his teammates not moving without the ball?

Then the whole team has a low basketball IQ. They all hold the ball forever. None of them hold screens or use screens and they don't seal in the post. That's Tubby's iso system. One guy pounds the ball; four guys stand around; mix in the very occasional high/low. Heavily reliant on individual talent. Ridiculously easy to defend.

I agree somewhat about defense because he relies on his ability to block shots (which he does very well).

You are absolutely right about sealing in the post. Mbakwe does it to a certain extent, but even he often relies on just shoving and pushing. He needs to anchor his legs more.

No you didn't, you said poor positioning on defense--that isn't an example that is a bs comment. You said he holds on to the ball too long on the wing, is that Rodney's fault or the fault of his teammates not moving without the ball?

Okay...if you watch closely....when the man he's guarding cuts toward the ball, he is often a split second late in reacting. This also happens when he is the low defender on the help side. His man will beat him to a spot in the post, and he then has to rely on shot-blocking (which looks good sometimes but often results in a basket or a foul). He also has problems when he transitions to defense, often losing his man and being late to get into a passing lane.

I love Williams Arena and last night saw what it used to be more often and could be again with the full house and big game atmosphere. However, the crowd last night also exposed some of the building's shortcomings. Although the Michigan State game drew a big crowd, there was still open real estate in the student section and some of the obstructed view areas. Last night, with the place filled to the gills, the concourse not only felt overcrowded and inconvenient, but also a bit unsafe.

The U of M will eventually have to decide whether to keep the place or build new. If keeping it is the answer, then this cannot be an offseason patch up. The Gophers should plan on a season at Target Center in order to comprehensively makeover the Barn. Some might wonder about the point of that if they overhaul the place in such a fashion. However, there are likely elements that a renovation could retain and you get the psychological benefit of still staying at home.

Regarding the practice facility, has anyone at the U of M ever considered repurposing the Pavilion for such a thing? The teams that use it on game days could play in Williams Arena. Meanwhile the U of M could provide a new and less substantial practice facility for other teams, if necessary, elsewhere on campus at less expense and logistical hassle, whether at Cooke Hall, the Fieldhouse, the Bierman Building or the new recreation facility currently under construction.

Top Bottom