Merged Threads: Frustrated with PG play

Blackhammer

Reaction score
I posted many times over the past year we needed another guard to handle the ball in the program. Was told we had enough point guards.Turnover after turnover.

And you waited for 18 games for it to happen once to finally go "Aha!!"

Kudos sir, well done.

I agree 100% I have mentioned this to my friends many times. I hope Tyus realizes how much his ball handling would help take this program to the next level.

It's been happening more than just tonight. Even crappy teams like NW have backup PG's that look like they're comfortable handling the ball. Mav does some good things but he looks so uncomfortable handling the ball.

Thank god. If there's a second thing the program is lacking, it's fans with this level of insight, and the guts to say 'I told you so.'

Obviously, we could use a 2nd 1, but that will never be Mav, who should be coming in for Austin at the 2 and Julian at the 1. For that matter, we most definitely need another 4/5 to help Trevor out.

Obviously, we could use a 2nd 1, but that will never be Mav, who should be coming in for Austin at the 2 and Julian at the 1. For that matter, we most definitely need another 4/5 to help Trevor out.

If trevor is going to spend most of his time on offense setting screens 25 feet away from the basket, i say start EE, move TM to the 4, Rodney to the 3, and Joe to come off the bench. Trevor needs many more touches on the block.

POINT GUARDS

I can't see how Tubby can consider not recruiting a point guard for next year. Andre is great but Maverick is not quick enough to play against the better teams. They need a true point guard who can distribute and handle pressure.

I can't see how Tubby can consider not recruiting a point guard for next year. Andre is great but Maverick is not quick enough to play against the better teams. They need a true point guard who can distribute and handle pressure.

Not sure how you or anyone can say mav isn't quick enough and not say the same about welch! Welch is easily one if the slowest skinny guys in the world

Not sure how you or anyone can say mav isn't quick enough and not say the same about welch! Welch is easily one if the slowest skinny guys in the world

Maybe he wanted to say that Mav simply can't dribble against pressure defense.

Agree with WILLBGopher... Maverick dribbles high and loose it has nothing to do with speed. When he gets ball pressure he is dribbling to survive and not run an offense. Trey Burke was setting him up and ripped him like a little kid.

Welch is slower but has a better handle. Welch did throw some soft passes but was a spark early.

Told you so

If trevor is going to spend most of his time on offense setting screens 25 feet away from the basket, i say start EE, move TM to the 4, Rodney to the 3, and Joe to come off the bench. Trevor needs many more touches on the block.
EE and Trev had some nice passes to each other for scores, for the short amount of time EE was allowed to play

I guess Blackhammer just showed us all up with his vast wealth of basketball knowledge.

Welch is a Senior. I said next years recruiting. Maverick may do well as 2 guard. He is not quick enough or decisive enough for the point.

Andre is really a 2 guard. He could be bobby if we could find an eric harris.

Everyone knows both are very slow to earn major minutes. Welch seems to play within his slowness. He was guarding Burke and actually played the angles pretty well to not get taken to the whole a ton. Welch is graduating. Mav is slow, not a good ballhandler, and he makes questionable decisions. He has really improved his shooting. He is better off the ball.

It is too bad that pg Chalmers either didnt want to come here or get recruited here? He is having a great season as a starting freshmen pg at Harvard (13pts, 6 ass). He would at least be a great backup.

Welch is a Senior. I said next years recruiting. Maverick may do well as 2 guard. He is not quick enough or decisive enough for the point.

A little insult to injury here, but ESPN's top 25 freshman includes Siyani Chambers (Harvard, former Hopkins player) at 24. I don't remember the exact scholarship situation last year, or if Chambers was already set on going to an Ivy League school academically, but how much would a player like this have helped this year as a back-up PG?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...s-ranking-25-best-freshmen-college-basketball

24. Siyani Chambers, G, Harvard Crimson
Attention "freshman wall" theorists. If there really is such a thing, one would think Chambers would have to be the player to hit it at some point. The point guard plays a higher percentage of his team's minutes (94 percent) than any other freshman in the country. It's fair to say, however, there are no signs of such a wall just yet. Over his last three games, Chambers has averaged 17 points per contest for Tommy Amaker's Crimson, thanks mainly to 10-of-13 shooting on 3s.

Top Bottom