14-3 Maryland just stormed the court

What scum. They should be ashamed.

End Sarcasm.

It's kinda embarrassing, though. I really hope the students don't rush the court if/when we beat Michigan tomorrow... we're a top 10 team.

No rushing court tomorrow plz. And also, this is Maryland guys, give them a break.

Look here, if we want to rush the court then let's rush the court. Do we need to put the idea out on GopherHole for some kind of affirmation or probity? Should everything we do be based on ranking and probability of outcome? How about a little spontaneous celebration and a shared sense of achievement with the team. This is a special year and let's enjoy it. Wait for "just the right moment" and it may well never occur. IF we pull off a win tomorrow, let's go for it!!

there are other ways of showing excitement, and I still think its beneath us, but hey whatever. If it happens I just hope its NOT because anyone on GH encouraged it, but because the way the game played out and the final outcome were such that the fans just couldn't help themselves.

That also brings to my imagination some last second half court bank shot that goes in to put us up by 1 with .03 seconds left on the clock, and I'm getting too old to go through something like that. I prefer a result where Michigan fans are leaving the Arena with 2 minutes left in the game, and commentators are questioning whether or not Michigan wasn't overrated or not.

Maryland storms the court

Look here, if we want to rush the court then let's rush the court. Do we need to put the idea out on GopherHole for some kind of affirmation or probity? Should everything we do be based on ranking and probability of outcome? How about a little spontaneous celebration and a shared sense of achievement with the team. This is a special year and let's enjoy it. Wait for "just the right moment" and it may well never occur. IF we pull off a win tomorrow, let's go for it!!
Life's short, so have fun!!!

And Gopherholers b!tch that we shouldn't rush the court after beating a #5....after the last 20 years of Ganglehoff, probation and frustration our fans deserve the rush. --- Just Do It.

I'm gonna lay out the court rushing issue as it pertains to the Gophers.

Court rushing should be a spontaneous and overwhelming reaction to a game of substance or meaning.

For a court rushing to be acceptable the game in question must meet at least 1 of the following criteria:

1. The team beaten is #1 in the nation.

2. The game clinches a conference championship, with the caveat that the opposition is still in contention (or at least close) for said title. This rule implies that the court is unlikely to be rushed before mid February at the earliest.

3. The team beaten is a major rival and is either:
a. riding a prolonged winning streak against the home team, or
b. an undefeated/1 loss in Jan/2 loss in Feb/3 loss in March squad.

Feel free to print this out and hand it to the Barnyard.

WCG has spoken.

Really? Some of you guys take sports way too seriously.

Good for Maryland, a good win for a program that seems to be on the come back, they're not supposed to celebrate because they are Maryland? Juan Dixon and Steve Blake left a long time ago.

I'm just enjoying all of the positive feedback we are getting in the press and I would hate to see something like this make us look like a bunch of losers. I just have spend far too much time talking to non-gopher sports fans and have gained some insight into how people around the country view us, and other schools and things like rushing the court, etc.. All of the fans of programs out there that have experienced success in the past 10 or 20 years would just think less of us if we did something like that. It's not like we haven't been here before. I know some people have chosen to basically erase 1997 from their memories, as if it didn't happen or like we don't have the right to remember that it happened, but it did. We got all the way up to #2 in the polls, and we beat almost everyone in the Conf that year. I think this year could be even better, not so much because we are better than the 97 team, but because there are fewer great teams out there this year. I think some of you want to celebrate winning a game, just in case something happens and the season goes into the crapper, but I think you are selling yourself short. We're going to have LOTS of chances to celebrate.

And Gopherholers b!tch that we shouldn't rush the court after beating a #5....after the last 20 years of Ganglehoff, probation and frustration our fans deserve the rush. --- Just Do It.

+1000000

I'm just enjoying all of the positive feedback we are getting in the press and I would hate to see something like this make us look like a bunch of losers. I just have spend far too much time talking to non-gopher sports fans and have gained some insight into how people around the country view us, and other schools and things like rushing the court, etc.. All of the fans of programs out there that have experienced success in the past 10 or 20 years would just think less of us if we did something like that. It's not like we haven't been here before. I know some people have chosen to basically erase 1997 from their memories, as if it didn't happen or like we don't have the right to remember that it happened, but it did. We got all the way up to #2 in the polls, and we beat almost everyone in the Conf that year. I think this year could be even better, not so much because we are better than the 97 team, but because there are fewer great teams out there this year. I think some of you want to celebrate winning a game, just in case something happens and the season goes into the crapper, but I think you are selling yourself short. We're going to have LOTS of chances to celebrate.

I'm thinking a lot of the students presently at the the U weren't attending back in '97.

I would hate to see something like this make us look like a bunch of losers.

Honest, honest question because something like this has been stated several times this week.....could you provide examples of how this would affect your life?

Mocked at work? People pointing and laughing at you at the supermarket? Your kids harassed?

Did you mean 'us' as in the team? Will they drop in the rankings after the win? Be seeded lower in March? Mocked by Northwestern fans with rush the court chants on Sunday?

No disrespect intended....just have to know.

Gonna be really awkward when you all rush the court and injure one of the players.

If you're for it I'm against it.:D

Rush the court if it an exciting ending. Don't act like you have been here before, we haven't.

Maryland is a Top 15 Program - so I've been told here. Do fans of Top 15 Programs rush the court? When was the last time Louisville or Georgetown fans rushed the court for a win over a team poll-ranked in the teens?

Why can fans only rush the court after a HUGE upset? This was a great win for Maryland, and it's good to see their fans be able to celebrate. I think storming the court is a fun way for fans to show their excitement for their program. If we do win tonight against Michigan, I would be more than happy to see our fans storm the court. It would be a huge win for our program. It should be an exciting moment, and IT IS a big deal.

I want the Barn to be rocking before, during, and after the game.

Court rushing should be a spontaneous and overwhelming reaction to a game of substance or meaning.

For a court rushing to be acceptable the game in question must meet at least 1 of the following criteria:

2. The game clinches a conference championship, with the caveat that the opposition is still in contention (or at least close) for said title. This rule implies that the court is unlikely to be rushed before mid February at the earliest.

WCG has spoken.

You nailed it. Rushing the court every time you have a decent win is lame. It should be saved for really special occasions, such as those you pointed out above where it truly means something. And above all, it should be spontaneous.

WCG has spoken.

So by rule 3, section b. this win would constitute rushing the court?

You nailed it. Rushing the court every time you have a decent win is lame. It should be saved for really special occasions, such as those you pointed out above where it truly means something. And above all, it should be spontaneous.

Planning a spontaneous moment is not an easy task.

Maximus - Your condescending tone aside, it doesn't affect my life at all, really. Except that I discuss sports with people from all over the country and I prefer it when fans tell me that they respect the Gophers or the University of Minnesota, as contrasted to when they poke fun of them for something.

And the very fact that we are talking about it, whether we should do it or not, has stripped it of its spontanaity. And when you have a mass of people rushing onto a risen court like ours, you are risking injury to students and players and whoever else.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of something extremely serious happening during a court rushing, but how many teams play on a risen court like we have. I hope that the University does something to prevent it. The lawsuits that could arise?

I just have a bad bad feeling about it. If it happened as a spontanious reaction to something incredible, well, then after the fact it would be hard to criticize too harshly unless something bad did happen because of it. But it just feels like its being planned. In our situation, if it happened now, I'd seriously doubt that it was spontanious at all.

I understand what I am saying makes me out to be a stick in the mud or a wet blanket or an old fart or maybe even a real jerk? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I'm a parent and as a parent quite often you have to forget about being liked by your kids. You have to do things that are for their own good and things that they might not come to understand for years, decades, and maybe never. Parents often have to be the bad guy/gal. Hey, maybe I am wrong, but I'd rather fall on the side of safety/playing it safe. Disagree with all you want, but I'm just doing what I think is best for UMinn.

Top Bottom