Next Year Starting 5

go4fan

Reaction score
Who will they be?? My opinion would be...
At the 5 RS3 (With Iverson backing him up.)
4. Trevor Mbekwe (Royce or Iverson Backing up here.)
3. D. Johnson (Royce and Paul Carter)
2. Westbrook (Devoe or Hoff or Bostick)
1. Nolen (Devoe)

I see both Cobbs and Williams red-shiriting next year. I think Cobbs could be a very good PG. Have you seen the numbers this kid has put up? Pretty impressive. I am loving our depth at all positions. I tried finding a place for Royce to start but i don't see it next year. If Hoff finds his 3 ball again he will se PT but if not he might be riding the pine pony. What are your thoughts?

People who keep calling for redshirts obviously don't watch much CBB. Redshirting is a football thing these days. A player redshirting in BB is EXTREMELY rare and it won't happen next year. The only guys that do redshirt are guys that are serious projects, not top 100 or 150 level recruits like all of our newcomers next year.

As for the lineups I think 1-3 is pretty set. What will be interesting is 4-5 spots. I think we'll have an offense/defense combo. If RSIII starts at the 5 we'll have Mbakwe at the 4. If White starts at the 4 it'll be CI at the 5

go4fan,

If that's our starting lineup, we should expect the same results that we saw this season...assuming we can mow down 11 straight non-conf opponents again.

I'd prefer to improve the lineup and then raise season expectations. That's how top programs are built.

go4fan,

If that's our starting lineup, we should expect the same results that we saw this season...assuming we can mow down 11 straight non-conf opponents again.

I'd prefer to improve the lineup and then raise season expectations. That's how top programs are built.

Disagree. If that's our starting lineup we'll be a better team next year. I expect RSIII Nolen and DJ to all be much better next year, especially offensively. Also for a team that plays as many guys as we do our starting lineup doesn't matter as much as most teams. The truth is that while we have very good talent coming in the only guys that are probably better right now than the guys we have at their spots are Royce and Mbakwe and both play the 4.

Good call oleboy on Cobbs not RS. I agree with you 100% that next year's lineup will be a lot better offensively.

The only time a guard redshirts is because of injury.

Sometimes a center will redshirt when there is depth at center and PF.

Start of the Year:
PG: Nolen, Joesph, Cobbs
SG: Westbrook, Hoff, Bostick
SF: Johnson, Carter, Williams, Busch
PF: Mbekwe, White
C: Sampson III, Iverson

Everyone gets some PT while Tubby tries to determine what he has.

End of the Year:
PG: Nolen
SG: Joesph
SF: Johnson
PF: Mbekwe
C: Sampson

6th: Westbrook (spark plug)
7th: White
8th: Iverson
9th: Carter
10th: Cobbs
11th: Hoff/Bost (if they are hitting shots)

Man, we are going to be ridiculously deep, hopefully some guys step up big time to make it easier for Tubby to figure out who deserves PT.

I'm going to say that Iverson might hold onto the Center spot by default. Ralphy will toggle between the C and PF. in the end Ralph will probably have more minutes than iverson but maybe not at the Center position only. Tubby likes ralph coming from the outside in and iverson as a true post. Tubby will have a ton of options next year.

My Guesses

F Royce and Mbakwe.
C Sampson.
G Westbrook and Nolen.

(To start the season)

Westbrook

I like the idea of Lawrence coming off the bench. The Microwave comes to Williams Arena.

Given the way Tubby rotates players, I am not sure that who starts is really all that important.

My Lineup:

Nolen
Joseph
Johnson
Mbakwe
Sampson

Westbrook should be able to back up both guard positions (with Joseph moving to the point). Cobbs will be the 4th guard.

White, I see him as the main backup in the 3-4 positions. Iverson will be the #2 center.

When they go small, I see a frontline of Johnson, White, and Mbakwe.

That will be the short-bench rotation.

I agree Calmin. which is why freshmen will not start over upperclassmen until they've earned that right.

Royce and Trevor are a talent upgrade at F. I think both start from Day 1.

I agree that they're talent upgrades but DJ is easily our best defender and Tubby loves defense and he'll also be a senior. Royce will play mostly at the 4 IMO

I'll take a stab....

Start of the season

C - Sampson, Iverson
PF - Mbakwe, White
SF - Johnson, Carter, Williams
SG - Westbrook, Bostick, Hoff
PG - Nolen, Joseph, Cobbs

Start of Big 10

C - Iverson, Sampson
PF - Mbakwe, White
SF - Johnson, Williams, Carter
SG - Bostick, Westbrook, Hoff
PG - Joseph, Nolen, Cobbs

I think Iverson really has a chance to bulk and will be more of a true "5" than RSIII. I'm also still pretty high on Bostick and he shows his great potential in flashes but if he doesn't improve his defense he could find himself moving the other direction on the depth chart. I also love LW coming off the bench - the "microwave" comparison was right on the $$$. At PG, I'm torn. If Nolen can improve his shot (see Eric Harris) and cut way down on his TO's then we have something. However, I'm also hoping that Joseph can play his way ahead of him.

I expect DJ to improve a ton on the offensive end by the time next season rolls around. He already made some big strides this season. He will be a senior and a definite starter.

I would probably guess:

Nolen
Westbrook
Johnson
White
Sampson
-----------
(main players off the bench)
Mbekwe
Joseph
Iverson
Carter
Hoffarber
---------
(guys grabbing sporadic minutes)
Busch
Cobbs
Williams
Bostick

Start of the season

C - Sampson, Iverson
PF - Mbakwe, White
SF - Johnson, Carter, Williams
SG - Westbrook, Bostick, Hoff
PG - Nolen, Joseph, Cobbs

Start of Big 10

C - Iverson, Sampson
PF - Mbakwe, White
SF - Johnson, Williams, Carter
SG - Bostick, Westbrook, Hoff
PG - Joseph, Nolen, Cobbs

I think Iverson really has a chance to bulk and will be more of a true "5" than RSIII. I'm also still pretty high on Bostick and he shows his great potential in flashes but if he doesn't improve his defense he could find himself moving the other direction on the depth chart. I also love LW coming off the bench - the "microwave" comparison was right on the $$$. At PG, I'm torn. If Nolen can improve his shot (see Eric Harris) and cut way down on his TO's then we have something. However, I'm also hoping that Joseph can play his way ahead of him.

No offense but I HATE that last lineup. Neither of the guards penetrates and none of the forwards can shoot at all. Mbakwe is a pure defender/rebounder and Colt 45 is a straight up back to the basket guy which will clog the lane. I think if Colt starts at the 5 we see RSIII or Royce at the 4 since both can score and play the high post. If RSIII starts we see Mbakwe at the 4. I think all the people calling for Joseph to start are just engaging in wishful thinking as Nolen will likely be the PG next year. I do like bostick more than most but I still see him as maybe the 6th or 7th man

No way DJ and Mbakwe in lineup together

DJ and Mbakwe are both all defense, no offense. Both will not start or we'll have the same problem as this year. I think Mbakwe will start since he will rebound better, much needed this year. It's a toss-up between Iverson and Sampson, probably RS3. Royce White will start and be our best offensive option. Westbrook will come off the bench and I think Cobbs will push Nolen for the starting PG spot. I have a feeling Bostick will start over Joseph at the 2, and will have much more of an impact next year.

Tubby has gone on Big Ten Network many times saying he values defense more then offense. He says something to the effect of you can have a bad offensive night no matter what the defense is. In addition he says something to the effect of that defense can dictate the other teams offense and create offense of your own.

If he doesn't start Johnson would he be going against the core of what he believes that wins basketball games? I mean Johnson is an all-conference defensive player.

After watching the way Tubby was subbing this year, I think talking about starting lineups and 1-12 in the lineup is moot.

Tubby will play everyone in the nonconference fairly evenly to make sure everyone can can a feel for how the other plays with the freshmen (Juco) in the mix. This will change if/when we play a NCAA team at the nonconference tourney. By B10 season Tubby should have a set group of starters, but not necessarily the best 5 to find a flow (line changes).

Overall, I look at this lineup and see capable players that have shown greatness at one point or another, some more than others, but whether they improve from this year is to be seen.

5 - who ever improves more this offseason between RSIII and Iverson
4 - Mbakwe
3 - White
2 - My guess would be LW (only viable option at this point)
1 - Nolen, Joseph, Cobbs (just pick one of the 3 out of a hat)

I agree and disagree

I think Colton COULD be very good offensively when the game slows down for him as he displayed some very nice moves around the hoop although he was inconsistent with the. Everyone and their grandmother has Royce being hailed as the next offensive guru and he hasn't even played 1 minute of college ball yet. Please excuse me if I feel the need to at least watch him compete at the next level before annointing him as a "starter". And don't get me started when talking about Johnson playing SG. There is no doubt in my mind that if we went "big", Damian could easily play this position. He has the quickness to defend any player at that role although his offense skills are not suited for this position. That said, WHO do we have that is best suited for the proto-typical SG? Nobody.

LW will most likely start all season long but I still can't get away from the idea that he would be an ideal 6th man. And oleboy, you're dead-on about my personal assessment of hoping for Devoe to take over at PG. Won't happen....Nolen will be the PG all year long (most likely)...and yes I'm one of the may fools who hopes that Devoe is our answer at PG when realistically his best position apears to be SG. I'm so excited for next year I can't stand it...

From what I have seen and heard, Royce is a 4 who will learn to play the 3. Bostick at the 2 is scary he has questionable quickness and ballhandling skills.

5. iverson or sampson
4. royce, trevor, carter
3. d.johnson, carter, bostick, r.williams
2. joseph,westbrook, hoff
1. nolen, cobb, joseph

Westbrook the microwave. Johson started hitting a few outside shots late in the year.
Trevor the rodman like rebounder.

Small forward is way too jammed up. I wish we had another 5 instead of all the wings.
Sometimes I hate the hockey changes. But, will any team in the country have as good
of a 2nd team?

PG Joesph by default. Not the best situation to have a point that has more turnovers than assists, but Nolen was the most disappointing player on the team last tear. Al not only had trouble shooting (.33.7 FG%, 29.4 3p%) but kept others from scoring too, by dribbling the ball too much. Cobbs will play some and learn.

SG Westbrook Lawrence tried to do too much last year, but that was because no one else on the team stepped up to take the pressure off him. He earned my respect this year. Joseph will split his minutes between PG & SG. Hoffarber either gets his shot back or sits next year.

SF Johnson is the epitome of Gopher strengths and weaknesses. Dynamite defender, so-so rebounder, crappy shooter. Carter is DJ lite, except DJ can at least get his bunnies to drop. Haven't seen Rodney Williams play except on those highlight YouTube dunk-fests. I get the impression he's in the same mold as Carter, except those bunnies will be slams. In the end, I think Royce White gets a lot of PT here and maybe challenges DJ for the starting spot (if he's not starting at PF that is).

PF Mbakwe I think Tubby is truly exited about Trevor. He has raved about him in multiple interviews and neither Rovce or Rodney or any of last year's recruits have gotten the same treatment. White will see plenty of minutes here and Sampson will get spot minutes.

C Sampson by a nose over Iverson. But does it really matter? Boith will get extented minutes and few teams in the Big Ten will get better post play next year.

Playing all the players Tubby does, nearly makes this conversation irrelavent. I do think that Nolan would be a great spark off the bench. The JC guys really don't do much at all for me. Carter misses more bunnies than anyone on the team.

I think the starters should be:

Cobbs or Joseph
Westbrook
Johnson
Mbakwe
Sampson

Bench should be Nolan, Iverson, Hoffarber (If his shot is back), and White.

Williams, Carter, and Bostic will be role, energy, and match-up players

None of you running through the entire roster mention Dominique Dawson. I'm not saying he'll necessarily play minutes, but it's interesting that no one is even making him a footnote.

These opinions are great, and I enjoy reading them. But the whole gammet is this...None of us, and I mean NONE, knows. Therefore, I admit my shortcomings and simply say.."Who Knows"? Let the team members and Tubby decide who and when is the best combination at the right time, as our Golden Gophers hit the Elite 8 next season.

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom