Games remaining versus top contenders

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Although the B1G is generally a meat grinder all season, each contender has a stretch of games that will truly test their mettle for the season. Some teams (Minnesota) are getting the worst of it out of the way early, while others will be hit later in the season.

Here are the contenders, and the games they each have remaining against teams that are currently ranked (Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois) or will be ranked in the next poll (Wisconsin). With all respect to Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern, Nebraska and Penn State, these are the games that will ultimately separate first from second:

Wisconsin:
4 home (MSU, MN, MI, OSU)
4 away (OSU, IL, MN, MSU)

Michigan:
4 home (OSU, IL, MSU, IN)
5 away (MN, IL, IN, WI, MSU)

Indiana:
3 home (MSU, MI, OSU)
5 away (IL, OSU, MSU, MN, MI)

Minnesota:
4 home (MI, IL, WI, IN)
3 away (WI, MSU, OSU)

Ohio State:
5 home (WI, IN, MN, MSU, IL)
4 away (MSU, MI, WI, IN)

Michigan State:
6 home (OSU, IL, MN, MI, IN, WI)
4 away (WI, IN, OSU, MI)

Illinois:
3 home (MI, WI, IN)
4 away (MSU, MN, MI, OSU)

The good news for our Gophers is that they have the easiest go of it from a schedule standpoint. Only three away games left against true contenders - the least of any of the top teams.

Thanks for posting! I was wondering how this shaped out the rest of the way. I realize its not able to be accomplished now days, but I wish all teams played everybody in the conference twice so there wouldn't be scheduling advantages.

Top Bottom