Scoggins: Resurgent Gophers provide the perfect Williams Arena renovation

station19

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/186880432.html

"Talk to long-time followers of Twin Cities sports and they contend that a relevant Gophers basketball team ranks third in popularity, behind only the Vikings and Twins. The old guard wax poetic about spending snowy Saturday afternoons inside the Barn when the building shook and their heads pounded because of the intense noise. They recall stories -- or an old wives' tale? -- about a frustrated fire marshal turning a blind eye to the turnstile count as bodies crammed inside to supply a suffocating home-court advantage......"

Go Gophers!!*

*registered trademark of BleedGopher

The Comment Section is always entertaining:

http://comments.startribune.com/com...6880432&section=/sports/gophers&comments=true

""Long live the barn!" And this from a Hawkeye fan!!! Twenty plus years ago Lute Olson demanded a new fieldhouse,so in fear of losing him Carver hawkeye area was built and we lost our 'advantage' One year after it opened Olson left for Arizona and in my opionion Hawkeye basketball has never been the same,thanks for nothing Lute."

My freshman roommate was one of those Boy Scout ushers. He said there was a secret passage from the 2nd deck of Williams into the 2nd deck of Marriuci.

My freshman roommate was one of those Boy Scout ushers. He said there was a secret passage from the 2nd deck of Williams into the 2nd deck of Marriuci.

As a long time Urban Explorer....I can tell you that there was more than one "secret" passage in Williams arena. My buddies and I made the most of the relaxed security before Memorial stadium was torn down. Nothing like midnight hoops in an empty arena.

The only true shame of the reseating is that the dude that used to pound on the pipes is gone. If you are near the pipes, please make use of them.

When the Gopher's rock it is the hottest ticket in town. I was fortunate to be around during the Mussleman era. Overflow crowds for big games were put in the hockey arena to watch on the big screen, people were in their seats to watch the George Schauer/ pre game warmup an hour before
tip off. Visiting teams would stop their routine and sneak a peak. After the game you walked out of the Barn 5 pounds lighter and no voice. No venue could touch it, even the confusing love affair with the " Little Darlings " that this State holds couldn't touch it. Every night it was our version of Hoosiers. Renovation, fire restriction, etc changed all of that euphoria. Yes, we had some of Clem's teams bring back most of that feeling, but alas it will never be the same. Still, even a 14,000 some packed barn is a sight to behold and makes a long winter much shorter.

The article hits the nail on the head. When the team is good and the stands are full, watching a game at Williams is an experience that rivals any in the country. The home court advantage is huge and I can’t imagine a recruit not being impressed. But when the team is average, as it has been in recent years, the building really shows its age and lack of amenities. This is a dilemma facing the University when they ultimately decide whether to renovate again or build a new facility.

For me, there is nothing like coming in from the cold, navigating the crowded lower concourse, ascending the relatively narrow stairs to the lower level seats, and popping up into the middle of the arena, at courtside, with the seating and rafters towering above you on all sides. As a sports fan, I can’t think of a venue that is as successful at building tension and drama as you move from street to seat as this one is. It would be a shame to see it go – here’s to hoping that current and future Gopher teams make it a moot point.

For me, there is nothing like coming in from the cold, navigating the crowded lower concourse, ascending the relatively narrow stairs to the lower level seats. ... As a sports fan, I can’t think of a venue that is as successful at building tension and drama as you move from street to seat as this one is.

Perfectly stated. There's nothing like getting into the concourse and feeling that special aura/vibe that a big game at Williams Arena provides. It's consistent, game-to-game presence has been absent for far too many years. "It" was there for the Michigan State, and I'm sure "it" will be there Thursday night vs. Michigan. Let's keep it going, no matter the opponent.

Hopefully a win vs Michigan will get people so excited, that they'll start grabbing any tickets they can get until people are willing to buy tickets to see us play NW or PSU or Nebraska even, lol.

Top Bottom