Tubby Tells Sid and Dave He Is Staying

figi

Reaction score
Tubby called Sid and Dave This Morning on their WCCO program and said " We plan on staying here for a long time".

hopefully this will end all of the speculation, but dont count on it.

Tubby also talked about Gophers being a top 20 team and challenging for the Big10 Title! Can't wait for new football stadium and Gopher hoops next year!

We can only hope so. I have a friend who lives in the DC area and sent me a link to thesabre.com, most arrogant group of people I've ever seen over there. Two minutes after we lost to Texas they were commenting if you think Tubby has picked up his phone and what not. I don't get where a school that didn't even qualify for the CBI has any right to do the "Ric Flair" strut like they own the college basketball galaxy.

Best news of the day! :)

If he leaves after saying this, he'll drop a few notches on the respect level in my book.

Well then that answers that - lets talk about next year now!

Oh and kudos to FOT - he's been saying that for weeks if not months

If he leaves after saying this, he'll drop a few notches on the respect level in my book.

I know a lot of coaches that do this, but I just can't see Tubby as one of them. He's never given me (or any of us) any reason to believe he's not a man of his word.

I think Tubby has a different agenda at this point in his life. The allure of going home is always a scare, but I think the U of M is the perfect environment for what he is looking for. There's a certain sweetness in overachieving, and sense of accomplishment and service that you can never experience at an elite school.

Okay, now he's said he and his family plan on staying here for a long time. Will this lead to the Virginia and Arizona folks dropping the discussion?? Doubtful, but at least on our end, this should help ease some people's minds.

Let everybody else around the country speculate if they want. I for one am going to take the man at his word.

Read something this morning where Tubby was one of the guys listed as Alabama's top candidate. It never ends! Any D-I program with deep pockets is going to list Tubby as one of their top targets. We might as well get used to it, laugh a couple times, and move on.

Read something this morning where Tubby was one of the guys listed as Alabama's top candidate. It never ends! Any D-I program with deep pockets is going to list Tubby as one of their top targets. We might as well get used to it, laugh a couple times, and move on.

.... and that is why he doesn't come out and say I am not going to VA, or AZ, or wherever. He needs a broad statement to include every school.

Personally I don't think the rumors will let up until the vacancies are filled. That can't happen soon enough for me.

Tubby isn't going anywhere IMO so I'm going to just choose to talk about the bright future with Tubby at Minnesota.

Listening to Sid, there are some things that I got out of it:

(1) Sid sounds old. This makes me sad, as Sid has been a big part of Minnesota sports since I was born. I haven't heard him much in the past decade or so, and he reminds me of someone in his twilight. Still, it's great to hear him.

(2) Sid is a big-time homer. He's one of the very few homers in Minnesota sports, and I greatly appreciate him for it. You can hear it in his voice, in his heart, he loves Minnesota sports. When Sid's gone, I hope a decent MINNESOTA fan takes his place, not one of those out-of-state sarcastic jerks who usually spouts off on the radio or in the paper. It seems like almost everyone BUT Sid goes out of their way to bash the U, even his son. Sid does not. Thankfully Sid is still there.

(3) All of this Sid-bashing on the board is ridiculous. Sure, Sid isn't what he used to be, but he does get a lot of inside scoops, the coaches in the area seem to trust him and like him, and he isn't afraid to say what he believes is right, and he's a Gopher fan. We always can use another one.

(4) When Sid finally retires, it'll be a sad day.

(5) Hearing that from Tubby is just another reason to like Tubby Smith.

Listening to Sid, there are some things that I got out of it:

(1) Sid sounds old. This makes me sad, as Sid has been a big part of Minnesota sports since I was born. I haven't heard him much in the past decade or so, and he reminds me of someone in his twilight. Still, it's great to hear him.

(2) Sid is a big-time homer. He's one of the very few homers in Minnesota sports, and I greatly appreciate him for it. You can hear it in his voice, in his heart, he loves Minnesota sports. When Sid's gone, I hope a decent MINNESOTA fan takes his place, not one of those out-of-state sarcastic jerks who usually spouts off on the radio or in the paper. It seems like almost everyone BUT Sid goes out of their way to bash the U, even his son. Sid does not. Thankfully Sid is still there.

(3) All of this Sid-bashing on the board is ridiculous. Sure, Sid isn't what he used to be, but he does get a lot of inside scoops, the coaches in the area seem to trust him and like him, and he isn't afraid to say what he believes is right, and he's a Gopher fan. We always can use another one.

(4) When Sid finally retires, it'll be a sad day.

(5) Hearing that from Tubby is just another reason to like Tubby Smith.

Agree on all counts. Just two clarifications... Sid is old, not sure of his exact age, but I think it is in the 80s and U doubt Sid will retire. Not trying to be morbid, but I think he will go to the grave before that.

You guys don't have a lot of experience listening to politicians. This is exactly how you would say it if you want to make the fan base happy without promising you won't listen to offers.

Agree on all counts. Just two clarifications... Sid is old, not sure of his exact age, but I think it is in the 80s and U doubt Sid will retire. Not trying to be morbid, but I think he will go to the grave before that.

He is 89. It was his birthday last Sunday and they were discussing it on the show. He has also said that he watched Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant retire or be forced out of doing what they loved and they both died within a year, so he has no intention of retiring. He'll keep working until whenever his time comes. Could be 1 year, could be 10.

You guys don't have a lot of experience listening to politicians. This is exactly how you would say it if you want to make the fan base happy without promising you won't listen to offers.

Yes, but, how else is he supposed to say a definitive, either? I recall one of the most DEFINITIVE statements made in recent memory - Rafael Palmeiro was adamant about his not taking steroids. Turns out he was lying anyway. So really, we can't put anything on anything right now, except that I think Tubby would avoid the local media at all costs if he were truly planning on leaving. That's what I think matters, the fact that he's not hiding someplace.

So Tubby is a politician, eh. And here I thought he was a basketball coach....:rolleyes:

I understand your point, but all the signs point towards him staying put, regardless of who comes calling. Is he listening to offers? Maybe. But I don't get the feeling that there is anything to get nervous about when everything he says and does, at least to this point, indicates he'll be staying....

Tubby is one of the Top 10 to 15 coaches in college basketball. Other teams are going to want him for that.

So Tubby is a politician, eh. And here I thought he was a basketball coach....:rolleyes:

I understand your point, but all the signs point towards him staying put, regardless of who comes calling. Is he listening to offers? Maybe. But I don't get the feeling that there is anything to get nervous about when everything he says and does, at least to this point, indicates he'll be staying....

Does anyone think that the U was Lou Holtzed and Glen Masoned a few too many times? Other than those two guys, who else has used the U as a stepping stone in recent history? Really, no one. Why all the negativity. The U has a heck of a lot of good going for it. Mason deserved his ire - not for approaching the OSU job (it was his alma mater), but for his approaching several other jobs as well. Still he remained at the U for 10 years until the U let him go. In the end, Mason's best job was at the U. He should have known, cause he'd possibly still be coaching there if he hadn't been such a slut.

Honestly, Mason wasn't that far off from Clem in terms of success and Haskins was loved before he was exposed. Grinning Glen could have owned this town and walked into the new stadium next fall if not for his self-destructive personality. I'm sure they say the same thing about him in Lawrence. That same personality killed him in regards to in-state recruiting too.

I hope Tubby has been through enough to understand that if he declared himself to be in this for the long haul he'd have an unconditional stature in major metropolitan area possibly unrivaled by any coach in the nation. I've heard that Clem was bigger than Yudof, Boston, or Dienhart because he had Arne Carlson in his back pocket and would call him and get his way. Despite 1997, Clem wasn't a top 20 coach.

Clem had a Final 4 team and an Elite 8 team, I think he was a few notches above Glen Mason. We also often defeated the top teams in the conference during the Clem era. I agree that Clem was not a top 20 coach for most of his era, but he was late in his tenure. This program was set up to be very good for a long time before Courtney James/Phonebook and the "scandal" of elite athletes not doing their own schoolwork.

Clem had his stature before the 1997 team and was gone 2 years later. Mason's 1999 season beating Penn State and going to a bowl was pretty close to Clem's 1990. Other than 1990 and 1997, Clem had a lot of early exits and NIT appearances. In his defense, it was late in his tenure before he reaped the benefits of the Timberwolves bandwagon and AAU renaissance in the state. Mason's 1999-2004 wasn't too bad other than a few signature chokes.

Sid Hartman.......

needs to leave the airwaves. He hasn't been able to express a clear though in at least 4 years....well at least one that didn't include a profane statement.

He should write his column once a week....we owe him that.

He hasn't had scoop in several years either.

He is one of the most miserable human beings on the planet. That's one thing his old age hasn't improved.

Top Bottom