AP Poll 1/14

Well we've got another top 10 matchup that will vault us back to where we were if we win (at least).

#10 in the ESPN Power Rankings:

"The Gophers showed a tremendous amount of fight and resolve by narrowing Indiana's 23-point lead to three with under a minute remaining before eventually falling to the Hoosiers in Bloomington on Saturday. Despite the loss, this team is capable of competing for a Final Four berth."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/powerrankings/_/season/2013/week/11

Go Gophers!!

MN # 9 in this poll...anyway, their comback got respect.

Never mind, I found what you were referring to...sorry.

Still a top 10 matchup at the Barn on Thursday, can't ask for much more there.

Funny that the two teams we've lost to were then ranked #1 and #2 respectively in the following week's AP Poll. Indiana benefitted from the losses of Michigan and Duke more than anything, but still funny to think about (I also realize Duke beat Louisville that same weekend which probably had more to do with them getting jumped to #1).

I can't remember a time besides maybe a pre-season poll when 5 teams got #1 votes...Amazing.

I think that this drop is fair, given the circumstances. More importantly, I now also think it is actually accurate to how good the Gophers are, compared to earlier in the season when I thought the rankings the team was earning was perhaps actually better than the team was in comparisson to the rest of the world of college basketball. I'm sold on the ability and potential of this team after watching their first few conference games.

Question regarding BTN games. Why dont they use the higher seed? Both games last week had us ranked #10.

Question regarding BTN games. Why dont they use the higher seed? Both games last week had us ranked #10.

They consistently use the Coaches' Poll ranking for whatever reason.

I think it's good for a network to be consistent, rather than just use the highest one. But yeah, BTN goes with the coaches, not sure what the reasoning is, while ESPN uses the AP poll.

I think it's good for a network to be consistent, rather than just use the highest one. But yeah, BTN goes with the coaches, not sure what the reasoning is, while ESPN uses the AP poll.

Both consistently use the poll of their choice...ESPN uses AP, BTN uses Coaches. Just remember where both are, and there is no problem.

If Coaches Poll had U of M higher, we would want ESPN to use that poll. Just go with the flow.

Neither one of them is usually very good since many of the voters don't watch a lot of the teams they are voting on. Coaches are worried about coaching and most of the AP is busy covering their team(s) in their city.

Neither one of them is usually very good since many of the voters don't watch a lot of the teams they are voting on. Coaches are worried about coaching and most of the AP is busy covering their team(s) in their city.

Well then there's that haha

I think it's pretty well accepted that the AP takes their votes more seriously though.

I think it's pretty well accepted that the AP takes their votes more seriously though.

Probably. I do think it's tough though for a lot of the voters to judge teams like Creighton and UNLV. I know it was awhile ago, but didn't UNLV get left out of the tourney one year even though they were ranked in the top 25 at the time?

Edit: I think it may have happened to Utah St. once as well.

Probably. I do think it's tough though for a lot of the voters to judge teams like Creighton and UNLV. I know it was awhile ago, but didn't UNLV get left out of the tourney one year even though they were ranked in the top 25 at the time?

Edit: I think it may have happened to Utah St. once as well.

I think it happened to NDSU once when they weren't even D-1 yet. :)

Gophers gained a lot of respect even in a losing effort against #2 Indiana.

I yam pumped-up for a game whereby a #9 and/or #12 ranked team does damage to say, a #5 ranked team. Thursday anyone?

Let's break the curse of losing to the 5th ranked team and pound Michigan this week.

Top Bottom