On that missed FT with 16 seconds left....

Moses87

Banned
Reaction score
I'm guessing the coach's son (Austin) will get a stern talking to from the coaches and maybe his dad. As I watched the replay over and over, trying to figure out how Trevor could have failed to coral it...(The Ball hung on the rim for a fraction longer than Trev anticipated and he kinda mis-timed his jump, which gave Zeller time to reach around and make a great play there to deflect it to Hulls)...Watching Hulls come up with the rebound, made me wonder how could he get the ball among all those Gophers we had back for the rebound? We had Rodney, Trevor, Joe and Austin back.

Jordy shoots the ball and Austin steps in the lane to block out Jordy...Austin sees the ball coming down to Trevor's side so he leaks out of the lane anticipating a transition opportunity. That allows Jordy to slip in un-guarded when Zeller made the deflection. Coleman had lost his ballance in a scrum and was leaning the wrong way. Rodney had also started to leak out on the break. They all ASSUMED that Trev was gonna coral that board...

Well, we know what they say when you ASSUME, right?

I really would have loved to see Trev clear that board to Andre and see what woulda happened with 15 secs left...Gus Johnson woulda gonna ape-s**t. A real pity that we didn't get that chance. I hope Austin and the whole team learns a serious lesson from that one. I think it also underscores one of our problems with defensive rebounding...We've got guys who are a little too interested in leaking out for the transition chances. I realize that's where we make our hay, but there are times and places for that. Sometimes you need all hands on deck for a rebound and that was it.

Yep, it's just as much on Austin Hollins as it is Mbakwe.

Let's hope everybody involved for us will watch the tape and learn from that play...Those are the kinda plays that win and lose tight games.

Let's hope everybody involved for us will watch the tape and learn from that play...Those are the kinda plays that win and lose tight games.

As well as a $hitty played entire first half by everyone.

I'm guessing the coach's son (Austin) will get a stern talking to from the coaches and maybe his dad. As I watched the replay over and over, trying to figure out how Trevor could have failed to coral it...(The Ball hung on the rim for a fraction longer than Trev anticipated and he kinda mis-timed his jump, which gave Zeller time to reach around and make a great play there to deflect it to Hulls)...Watching Hulls come up with the rebound, made me wonder how could he get the ball among all those Gophers we had back for the rebound? We had Rodney, Trevor, Joe and Austin back.

Jordy shoots the ball and Austin steps in the lane to block out Jordy...Austin sees the ball coming down to Trevor's side so he leaks out of the lane anticipating a transition opportunity. That allows Jordy to slip in un-guarded when Zeller made the deflection. Coleman had lost his ballance in a scrum and was leaning the wrong way. Rodney had also started to leak out on the break. They all ASSUMED that Trev was gonna coral that board...

Well, we know what they say when you ASSUME, right?

I really would have loved to see Trev clear that board to Andre and see what woulda happened with 15 secs left...Gus Johnson woulda gonna ape-s**t. A real pity that we didn't get that chance. I hope Austin and the whole team learns a serious lesson from that one. I think it also underscores one of our problems with defensive rebounding...We've got guys who are a little too interested in leaking out for the transition chances. I realize that's where we make our hay, but there are times and places for that. Sometimes you need all hands on deck for a rebound and that was it.

Agreed. At that juncture in the game, the most important thing is securing the ball/possession on the event of a missed FT. An offensive rebound absolutely kills you. Granted Trevor came out and said he'll never let another rebound slip from his hands again, you still need 5 guys rebounding at a time like that.

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing at the time. Looked like Trevor was about to get the rebound and then I immediately envisioned Dre hitting a deep 3 and Gus going absolutely insane.

I really would have loved to see Trev clear that board to Andre and see what woulda happened with 15 secs left...Gus Johnson woulda gonna ape-s**t. A real pity that we didn't get that chance.

Zeller got into the lane early on that FT. Could have been called.

The odds of us not getting a defensive rebound on missed free throw are not much different that Jordy Hulls missing two free throws in a row.

You have to wonder if CTC would have had his team foul before we were able to launch a three or not? We will never know.
I bet he would have considering how hot the Hollins lads were.

The odds of us not getting a defensive rebound on missed free throw are not much different that Jordy Hulls missing two free throws in a row.

You have to wonder if CTC would have had his team foul before we were able to launch a three or not? We will never know.
I bet he would have considering how hot the Hollins lads were.

We had no timeouts and I'm guessing Mbakwe would have cleared the ball to Dre who would have dribbled into the front court and tightly guarded....Probably would have gotten a screen from Rodney and come around the screen and shot the ball off balanced and missed...but he also could have kicked it to Austin in the corner for a contested 3 or taken the ball to the basket for 2. I don't think IU would have fouled because they didn't have time to discuss. With the way they were shooting FT's I would have advised taking the ball to the basket to get 2 and cut the lead down to 1 with about 8 secs left. Then we foul right away and force them to hit 2. Lets say they hit 1 of 2...then we have 8 secs to go for the tie or win. It would have been fun to watch...

I don't think he would have based on what he has done in years past. Seems like he is against that for some reason?

I actually thought he had a history of calling a timeout in that situation.

Top Bottom