Tubby's line changes

mcal24

Reaction score
I feel like after watching this game, there is no way Tubby can keep putting all the subs in at once. 1 point game when starters leave the game, double digit deficit when they come back in. This works against teams like North Dakota, but not in the big ten.

Also, why is Oto playing at all?

Starters were in for the majority of the 10 minute run.

I'm convinced we would have been down only 20 at the half if the starters were in the whole time. Tip your hat to a spectacular 20 minutes and move on.

We were down by 2 when the starters left, when they came back in, we were either down by 6 or 7...but the momentum had shifted.

I'm convinced we would have been down only 20 at the half if the starters were in the whole time. Tip your hat to a spectacular 20 minutes and move on.

Maybe its not just Indiana shooting lights out that made them so spectacular. Our defense looked non existent for the last 10 minutes of the first half. Same thing happened with Duke, no one played defense and everyone just blamed it on Duke shooting well. Most D1 basketball players will knock down shots if they're open.

We were down by 2 when the starters left, when they came back in, we were either down by 6 or 7...but the momentum had shifted.

There was no momentum to start though. Hard to say it shifted. We were hanging with a few made jumpers despite being killed on the defensive glass.

There was no momentum to start though. Hard to say it shifted. We were hanging with a few made jumpers despite being killed on the defensive glass.

Id argue there was a shift - neutral to 100% with the home team.

Maybe its not just Indiana shooting lights out that made them so spectacular. Our defense looked non existent for the last 10 minutes of the first half. Same thing happened with Duke, no one played defense and everyone just blamed it on Duke shooting well. Most D1 basketball players will knock down shots if they're open.

+1 1/2

They were just too sloppy and got caught playing defense in transition and during the secondary break. Once they slowed them down to the half court, they were back on track defensively.
Jordan hulls also made some from ridiculous range, that kid can shoot from anywhere.

I wish there was a stat on airballs in a season, and airballs per shots taken. If there was, I'd wager Oto would have a very real chance to enter the Gopher's record books.

I wish there was a stat on airballs in a season, and airballs per shots taken. If there was, I'd wager Oto would have a very real chance to enter the Gopher's record books.

I'm sure he's already broken air balls in a season. He was supposed to be one of our better three point shooters and he has probably air balled more than he's made

I'm sure he's already broken air balls in a season. He was supposed to be one of our better three point shooters and he has probably air balled more than he's made

And the shots are consistently long. He should take his shots from 3-ft deeper.

it was 19-15 when the Hollins boys checked back in, would've liked it if they came in at 16-15, but the damage was done with the starters in

Maybe Tubby will get the picture now and stop the line rotations. It is so stupid.

I would rather let all of the starters sit/rest for 5 -8 minutes than play with a mixed unit for 12 - 15 minutes in the first half. The starting five should play together as much as possible. The mixed units seem to bog down on the offensive end.

Maybe Tubby will get the picture now and stop the line rotations. It is so stupid.

Why is it stupid specifically? Has the line change been effective all season? I would say yes. What game specifically was lost because of the line change? Duke? Indiana? It has helped develop players and it has helped getting our starters a breather where we have been able to just out depth another team! Mich st the line change worked to perfection. When the line change doesn't work(Illinois) tubby got away from it right away. Tubby had his best half of coaching today IMO, that second half we were a contender after being out played at every aspect in the first half...so many just don't see everyone use the "line change" so that means its not effectice

1 point game when starters leave the game, double digit deficit when they come back in.

Absolutely false.

It was a 4-point game when they came in with about 12:05 left in the first half. Mav made a 3-pointer off a pass from Elliott to make it your 1-point game.

Starters back in around the 9:00 mark and the lead was 6.

So, the bench played 3 minutes and gave up a whopping 2 points overall. Meanwhile, the starters got 3 minutes of rest...then proceeded to come back in and let Indiana start a 13-2 run.

Quite the coincidence that we'd just not play any defense against Duke & Indiana, our 2 best opponents. That's on Tubby huh? When we're playing good teams he needs to tell them to play defense.

I agree Indiant started their huge momentum swing and roll in that stretch. It also started (during the same time frame) when we went to the 2/3 zone, and let Hulls hit that open 3.

Quite the coincidence that we'd just not play any defense against Duke & Indiana, our 2 best opponents. That's on Tubby huh? When we're playing good teams he needs to tell them to play defense.

When did I say that part was on Tubby?

And the shots are consistently long. He should take his shots from 3-ft deeper.

He just shouldn't shoot... At all.

He doesnt deserve playing time. He seems like a nice kid and all, but this isn't 6th grade where every kid gets court time no matter how bad.

Neutral momentum = no momentum.

Nice try though.

It seems like youre agreeing and disagreeing? The momentum may have never "switched" but no one ever said that. The theorhetical amount of momentum did definitely "shift" which was the original comment.

It seems like youre agreeing and disagreeing? The momentum may have never "switched" but no one ever said that. The theorhetical amount of momentum did definitely "shift" which was the original comment.

I think we are now into over thinking.

I would rather let all of the starters sit/rest for 5 -8 minutes than play with a mixed unit for 12 - 15 minutes in the first half. The starting five should play together as much as possible. The mixed units seem to bog down on the offensive end.

We were playing with mixed units most of the second half today and scored 52 points.

Absolutely false.

It was a 4-point game when they came in with about 12:05 left in the first half. Mav made a 3-pointer off a pass from Elliott to make it your 1-point game.

Starters back in around the 9:00 mark and the lead was 6.

So, the bench played 3 minutes and gave up a whopping 2 points overall. Meanwhile, the starters got 3 minutes of rest...then proceeded to come back in and let Indiana start a 13-2 run.

this sounds about right to me.

Top Bottom