GOPHERS BENCH

Parski1

Banned
Reaction score
I'm hoping this game showed Tubby that he can now shorten his bench a little. Does Gopherhole agree?

Maverick showed again why he is an asset to this team today. I just wish some of the other bench players would wake up and give us some valuable minutes.

Paging Elliot, Oto, and Welch.

Mav did some good things today, continuing to shoot the ball well. Ingram wasn't awful.

Everyone else sucked again. They have to play though.

Oto had a poor game

As a reference. Indiana's bench was also awful today. We are not the only team with high hopes that has this problem.

Sheehey and Abell are normally good bench players for them, they just had an off game. Most of our guys are having off seasons.

I don't get why people are so hard on our bench players. Did you guys forget how valuable they have been in our wins earlier in the year?They are bench players for a reason. Loosen up and enjoy watching a top 10 team. I think Tubby knows what he is doing.

PHP:
Mav did some good things today, continuing to shoot the ball well. Ingram wasn't awful.

Only to a certain point. I feel fine about Mav on the floor, and if Ingram gives the bigs a couple minute breather, I can almost live with him just being another body out there not having much of an impact positive or negative on the game.
EE has to prove himself to play, Welch will get his minutes even though he doesn't do anything.

But... Oto Osenieks should never see the floor! No reason for me to believe he offers anything.

We would ideally be going 7, maybe in a pinch 8 men deep who see court time.

Ingram was terrible. Turnover City and didn't box out on the boards or do anything offensively or defensively. Eliason was fine in his very few minutes. Probably should have played at least a few more. Oto didn't do much, got stripped by Oladipo (though looked like a pretty "physical strip"). Mav played nicely, good to see him do some good things after Wednesday's performance. Julian wasn't a liability, but didn't do much. His pullup missed 3 on the 3-2 break hurt.

I don't get why people are so hard on our bench players. Did you guys forget how valuable they have been in our wins earlier in the year?They are bench players for a reason. Loosen up and enjoy watching a top 10 team. I think Tubby knows what he is doing.

Not against the bench just can't take almost every starter off the floor at once.

Not against the bench just can't take almost every starter off the floor at once.

Ok I can agree with that, but I don't think he should shorten his bench per se. Not have them all play at once, yes, but we still need all the role players to come in and give us minutes. If they don't we will get burned out fast in this league.

Ingram was terrible. Turnover City and didn't box out on the boards or do anything offensively or defensively. Eliason was fine in his very few minutes. Probably should have played at least a few more. Oto didn't do much, got stripped by Oladipo (though looked like a pretty "physical strip"). Mav played nicely, good to see him do some good things after Wednesday's performance. Julian wasn't a liability, but didn't do much. His pullup missed 3 on the 3-2 break hurt.

Ingram had one turnover. If that's Turnover City they have some overpopulation problems there for sure. He also took what should have been a big charge if not for a bad call and hit a jumper (albeit a lucky bank)

Eliason did nothing. No rebounds or blocks in 7 minutes. That's what he's on the floor for and he did nothing.

Ingram had one turnover. If that's Turnover City they have some overpopulation problems there for sure.

Maybe that's what the Boxscore officially says. I saw several turnovers as being his fault. Let's look at it a different way: in his several minutes, can you name a good play that Ingram made? I'm not saying the guy didn't hustle, and for his effort I'm glad. But he didn't earn the minutes he did by anything positive he brought to the court; not in this big of a game.

Before we trash the bench completely, please note that Andre and Austin Hollins had 9 of our 17 turnovers today.

I don't agree with the wholesale line change by Tubby, but it isn't our bench that cost us a win today. Give props to IU for a phenomenal 1st half of basketball in every aspect. I don't think IU could play any better than they did the 1st half. Duke would have been down 15 at the half the way IU played. The bench is what most bench player are...they serve to give the top players a quick rest while playing good enough defense to negate any huge run by the other team. That is their role and function. To imagine anything more from a bench is to be living in a dream world.

That being said, if I had a wish to come true, I'd wish for one pure offensive gunner who could come off the bench and light it up on any given game. If the Gophers have a weakness it's that they don't have a true offensive threat as a 6th man.

...That being said, if I had a wish to come true, I'd wish for one pure offensive gunner who could come off the bench and light it up on any given game. If the Gophers have a weakness it's that they don't have a true offensive threat as a 6th man.

Hypothetically, Welch is the gunning offensive threat. But whether it is his loss of playing time this year or something else, he's not knocking down his shots. That's the one thing he's most capable of - a gunning shooter. In big games the Gophers could use some points from him.

UofMdad

I'm hoping this game showed Tubby that he can now shorten his bench a little. Does Gopherhole agree?

ABSOLUTELY! Have never liked a line change. Heck sub Mav and yes Julian (Julian is good at dribble penetration) for Dre/Austin (Mav seems to be a 2 not a 1 and he was our #1 3 pt% shooter at just over 42% before the BIG season started) Sub EE, Ingram and lastly Mo for Trev, Julian/Ingram for Austin/Joe, Ingram/Julian/Oto for Rodney. They have to learn to play with different players on the floor and you can't have 4 subs and 1 starter to hold everything together for 5-10 minutes per BIG game. It doesn't make any sense....IMVHO

They should at least keep either Dre or Mbakwe on the floor rather than sending them both to the bench. More so when Mav comes in for Dre - that's when we start to fall behind.

ABSOLUTELY! Have never liked a line change. Heck sub Mav and yes Julian (Julian is good at dribble penetration) for Dre/Austin (Mav seems to be a 2 not a 1 and he was our #1 3 pt% shooter at just over 42% before the BIG season started) Sub EE, Ingram and lastly Mo for Trev, Julian/Ingram for Austin/Joe, Ingram/Julian/Oto for Rodney. They have to learn to play with different players on the floor and you can't have 4 subs and 1 starter to hold everything together for 5-10 minutes per BIG game. It doesn't make any sense....IMVHO

I agree that mav should be the back up 2, he just doesn't have the handles for the point. I didn't mind the bench play today, but all 5 in the first half got the Indiana run going. I'm most down on Oto, how many badly missed shots has he had this year. Dude is missing open shots by huge margins.

I love these threads, such a knee jerk on game by game. After Illinois people were saying how well Welch played, but after today he sucks, and Mav should play...

Totally obvious to everyone there is a HUGE talent drop off after the starting 5, but they cant all play 40 minutes.

My only real issue is the hockey style subs. Really tough on the stomach.

Dont most rational people believe that for the team to be at its best, the starters probably need to 30-35 min each and Welch, Mav, and EE/Ingram probably have to combine for 25 -30 minutes a game.

I love these threads, such a knee jerk on game by game. After Illinois people were saying how well Welch played, but after today he sucks, and Mav should play...

Totally obvious to everyone there is a HUGE talent drop off after the starting 5, but they cant all play 40 minutes.

My only real issue is the hockey style subs. Really tough on the stomach.

Dont most rational people believe that for the team to be at its best, the starters probably need to 30-35 min each and Welch, Mav, and EE/Ingram probably have to combine for 25 -30 minutes a game.

Not when your playing at Indiana.

Welch had 2 or 3 really good looks that could have been huge for us...if he hits just one of those, the ending would have been even tighter...I hope he turns it around because we WILL need production from Julian Welch.

Not when your playing at Indiana.

No way they could have all played 40 today. Would have had 2-3 foul out for sure. Just my opinion...maybe 35 minutes each with a rotated 2 minute break per half for each player.
I guess they dont play until Thursday...

Big difference between this team and the 97 team: bench play

Quincy Lewis
Charles Thomas
Trever Winter
Heck even Miles Tarver

Before we trash the bench completely, please note that Andre and Austin Hollins had 9 of our 17 turnovers today.

I don't agree with the wholesale line change by Tubby, but it isn't our bench that cost us a win today. Give props to IU for a phenomenal 1st half of basketball in every aspect. I don't think IU could play any better than they did the 1st half. Duke would have been down 15 at the half the way IU played. The bench is what most bench player are...they serve to give the top players a quick rest while playing good enough defense to negate any huge run by the other team. That is their role and function. To imagine anything more from a bench is to be living in a dream world.

That being said, if I had a wish to come true, I'd wish for one pure offensive gunner who could come off the bench and light it up on any given game. If the Gophers have a weakness it's that they don't have a true offensive threat as a 6th man.

Start Maverick...sub in Andre...viola!...wish granted.

Big difference between this team and the 97 team: bench play

Quincy Lewis
Charles Thomas
Trever Winter
Heck even Miles Tarver

Totally agree. Lewis and Thomas could score and spell the 2 and 3 and sometimes 4 spots...Winter was a decent banger and Taver sucked, but hey its Miles Tarver.

I'd take the top two subs on that team probably over any two subs in the league this year.

Too bad Wally didn't have a few more non- conference games under his belt. He could have been that player

Too bad Wally didn't have a few more non- conference games under his belt. He could have been that player

He seems to have the most "high end" potential of any of the players currently on the bench.

I also think that Mo Walker not being the player many thought he would be is hurting the team in the middle.

As several folks have already pointed out.......Obviously subs are needed, but the line change thing is idiotic. You can get away with it against lesser competition in the non-conference part of the schedule but against top flight teams in the BIG it's just dumb. What you end up with instead of resting your starters they have to run like dogs the rest of the game after the B squad gets run off the floor.

I'm sure the other coaches around the conference love to see our 5 best players sitting on the bench while the other team finds it's rhythm and confidence. Mix the subs in a bit smarter, let's not try and reinvent the wheel here.

Mo is just too slow. He needs to move his feet. Wally has a ways to go on defense but I wish we would see a little more from him.

Mav did alright today with his minutes.

Welch scored a lot of points last year, he needs to step it up we need him

He seems to have the most "high end" potential of any of the players currently on the bench.

I also think that Mo Walker not being the player many thought he would be is hurting the team in the middle.

Unfortunately because Walker has been so bad Mbakwe has had to shoulder alot of the load while trying to get his conditioning back......Anyone else notice Mbakwe looked like he had dead legs against IU? He played his tail off against ILL and he didn't seem to have much burst today.

Top Bottom