The ref's were Indiana grads!!

froggopher

Reaction score
But we came back for a close game anyway! We will pay them back at Williams Arena! Go Gophers!!!:clap::cry:

more like assistant coaches for Indiana

Agreed!! It would have been a different outcome if the Gophers played less sloppy in the game. We'll be back against Michigan!! Go Gophers!!

Twice as many turnovers for the Gophers than IU, THAT was the main difference. There will always be some home cooking. MAYBE that was a factor, but we shot ourselves in the foot on WAY TOO MANY occasions. Missed layups, missed dunks, turnovers.

But I love this team, wow, to keep fighting. We were down by something like 17 pts with only a few minutes left. Wouldn't have hated them for giving up, but they didn't. Got it to within 4. Just one of those 3 pters goes down, we might have had a chance.

Lets just beat them when they come to play here in Minnesota.

40 ft to 15
Trevor takes 2 charges - not called - 4 pts.
AND the one that irks me the most is when he falls down with ball and travelling called - IU twice was on the ground and nothing was called. Hope Michigan beats OSU and is #1 coming in Thursday!!!

Quit whining about the refs, jeez... Everybody looks for a scapegoat after a loss. We got outplayed, but only by a little! Really excited about this team, can't wait for next Thursday!

Sorry, this reminded me of the road game against MSU last year when the Gophs were basically not given a chance to compete in the game. For a 6th-year senior who's proven himself in this league, Mbakwe was hosed over and over again today. I don't understand why experienced officials are incapable of calling a game the same for both teams and calling plays the way they occur no matter where the game is played or who the crowd is cheering for. The bigger the game, the more likely today's disparity is bound to occur. In contrast, the Illinois game was pretty well officiated, with a few bad calls that were divided up fairly evenly.

Don't get me wrong, the Gophers did not play well enough to win today, but pardon my curiosity about how it plays out if the officiating is of a higher quality.

And I think Cody Zeller is a super player, and I love to watch him play, but I'm similarly curious about how much he dominates if he's treated like the other players.

Quit whining about the refs, jeez... Everybody looks for a scapegoat after a loss. We got outplayed, but only by a little! Really excited about this team, can't wait for next Thursday!
40-15 FT advantage. Did you even watch the play inside? Indiana got the calls and won the game.
Maybe we get the calls at Williams. Zellar a tremendous play, but like I said, did you watch the play inside? Zellar gets away with a lot of sh-t.

JGopher - It is rare I complain about refs, but seriously, 21 fouls called on Minny in the 2nd half? I've never seen anything like that before. not in recent memory.

But as I stated above, we could have won that game despite the home cooking, but it would still be nice had the reffing been a little less one sided is all.

The refs didn't cost us the game. Yeah they didn't call a great game and allowed IU to out shoot us 40-15, but what about that 17-2 IU run? What about 17 turnovers? We allowed IU to get momentum early. I think those things had more to do with our loss than the refs. Give credit to IU because they played out of their minds and give credit to our guys for playing with heart and not giving up!

A lot of the calls went the wrong way... but truth is, we played sloppy for most of the game. At least we gave them a scare. It will be different at the barn!

It bothers me how many people get on their high horse and just tell everyone to shut up about the refs. I don't think anyone here has said or is saying that we lost the game because of them. Yes we played poorly in the first half. Yes Indiana played out of their minds in the first half. And yes Indiana deserved to win that game because of their play. HOWEVER, the officiating in the second half was atrocious and should not be ignored just because IU was up big early. Cody Zeller getting his first foul with 32 seconds in the game is laughable. The two blocking calls that were easy charges were not missed calls, they were influenced calls. The crowd was incredible and got those calls for their team. Ref's don't like being bad guys, especially in the Big Ten. I am proud of the way the Gopher's fought back, especially with the second half officiating.

IU has always been known for its intimidation of referees. It's like watching Leslie Nielson in the Naked Gun when you have a ref at Assembly Hall in Bloomington.

JGopher - It is rare I complain about refs, but seriously, 21 fouls called on Minny in the 2nd half? I've never seen anything like that before. not in recent memory.

But as I stated above, we could have won that game despite the home cooking, but it would still be nice had the reffing been a little less one sided is all.

Agree refs didn't seem great, the the numbers are a little inflated with our intentional fouling at the end.

40-15 FT advantage. Did you even watch the play inside? Indiana got the calls and won the game.
Maybe we get the calls at Williams. Zellar a tremendous play, but like I said, did you watch the play inside? Zellar gets away with a lot of sh-t.

There was one play where Zeller almost knocked Mbwake down without getting a call, I didn't think the refing was all that bad outside of some of the calls Zeller didn't get called on inside.

To many mistakes at key times, after all is said and done they had chances in the second half, not bad being away against a very good team.

It bothers me how many people get on their high horse and just tell everyone to shut up about the refs. I don't think anyone here has said or is saying that we lost the game because of them. Yes we played poorly in the first half. Yes Indiana played out of their minds in the first half. And yes Indiana deserved to win that game because of their play. HOWEVER, the officiating in the second half was atrocious and should not be ignored just because IU was up big early. Cody Zeller getting his first foul with 32 seconds in the game is laughable. The two blocking calls that were easy charges were not missed calls, they were influenced calls. The crowd was incredible and got those calls for their team. Ref's don't like being bad guys, especially in the Big Ten. I am proud of the way the Gopher's fought back, especially with the second half officiating.

I respectfully disagree with you. I'm not trying to be a d-bag, but hear me out. When people complain about the refs, to me it always comes off as a petty excuse for a loss, even if it isn't meant that way. The leaders of the B1G conference were watching this game and if they deem that the refereeing was that bad they will most certainly act on it.

A player would never blame the refs for a loss so therefore I don't think we should either. That is how fan-bases get a bad rap, by whining and complaining about everything. We should accept the loss, like the players, and move on.

I agree that Zeller should have had more fouls, but the fact of the matter is that he didn't. Oh well. And if the refs were really influenced by the home crowd, they should be fired. I believe that they missed both of those charging fouls against Trevor. It happens. No use in crying over spilt milk.

Exactly. We did a lot to lose this game in the first half, but there is no doubt the refs were a factor. It may have not have made the difference in the end, but it could have.

The call that pisses me off the most is when they didn't even review the Hollins 3-pointer. There can always be calls that can go either way, and unfortunately the Gophers were on the wrong end of a lot of those today. But not taking a look at that again was the refs not doing their job.

Sorry, this reminded me of the road game against MSU last year when the Gophs were basically not given a chance to compete in the game. For a 6th-year senior who's proven himself in this league, Mbakwe was hosed over and over again today. I don't understand why experienced officials are incapable of calling a game the same for both teams and calling plays the way they occur no matter where the game is played or who the crowd is cheering for. The bigger the game, the more likely today's disparity is bound to occur. In contrast, the Illinois game was pretty well officiated, with a few bad calls that were divided up fairly evenly.

Don't get me wrong, the Gophers did not play well enough to win today, but pardon my curiosity about how it plays out if the officiating is of a higher quality.

And I think Cody Zeller is a super player, and I love to watch him play, but I'm similarly curious about how much he dominates if he's treated like the other players.

Couldn't agree more

I respectfully disagree with you. I'm not trying to be a d-bag, but hear me out. When people complain about the refs, to me it always comes off as a petty excuse for a loss, even if it isn't meant that way. The leaders of the B1G conference were watching this game and if they deem that the refereeing was that bad they will most certainly act on it.

A player would never blame the refs for a loss so therefore I don't think we should either. That is how fan-bases get a bad rap, by whining and complaining about everything. We should accept the loss, like the players, and move on.

I agree that Zeller should have had more fouls, but the fact of the matter is that he didn't. Oh well. And if the refs were really influenced by the home crowd, they should be fired. I believe that they missed both of those charging fouls against Trevor. It happens. No use in crying over spilt milk.

Why is it too much for we paying fans to ask for a fairly reffed game in the most prestigious college basketball conference in the land? Why should we see obvious grievances and just sit on our hands and say nothing? To save face? To placate those who'd rather accept injustice than hear anyone complain about that injustice?

Why is it too much for we paying fans to ask for a fairly reffed game in the most prestigious college basketball conference in the land? Why should we see obvious grievances and just sit on our hands and say nothing? To save face? To placate those who'd rather accept injustice than hear anyone complain about that injustice?

Don't you suppose Illinois feels the same way? How about Northwestern? MSU? My point is that there are many obvious calls that are missed every game. Us complaining isn't going to do anything. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I really think officiating could have been the difference in the game. I wouldn't have said that at halftime, but now, after a single digit loss when pretty much none of the 50/50 calls went our way, I'm okay with saying that. The basket that cut the Hoosier lead to 4 could have been the one to give us the lead. If it had gone to overtime, we would have had a bit of an advantage since Oladipo, arguably their best player, had fouled out. (Oladipo fouled THREE 3-point shooters today btw.)

There has been fairly little complaining about referees so far this season, and I suppose winning will do that, and it seems there's a large contingent of us that think the officials played a significant, if not leading, role in our loss today, so I'm okay with it. Still, we outscored the Hoosiers by 16 in the second half despite playing 5 on 8, and that's a very good sign.

I am very happy with how we came out and fought in the second half despite being down by 23. I was kind of dreading the "Minnesota exposed as the frauds they are" motif that would have been everywhere if we had lost by 30+, which was very possible, and even likely, at that point. I'm proud of our guys for not giving in and making this loss respectable and even putting a bit of a scare into the Hoosiers at the end. I'm loving our chances of beating Indiana at home, and I'm amped for the Michigan game now.

The three things I think cost us the game in order.

1. Turnovers

2. Defensive rebounding

3. Officiating

I'd give the officiating a C-. Trevor deserved a few more calls than he got. Then there was a charge call on Coleman on the baseline that was inexcusably bad.

I think some of us are just trying to point out that this was definitely a hostile environment and we were down by 23 pts, and despite playing a Top 5 IU team, sub-par officiating, and ALOT of our own mistakes, we still were one rebound away from possibly pulling off the HUGE upset.

I hate this term, but this is one place I think it applies. This was a moral victory. but that's only imho.

1. Turnovers

2. Defensive rebounding

3. Officiating

Yep I agree with you completely. Normally I don't even complain about the refs, but this was so blatantly obvious. Especially that old white ref, he seemed like he was getting paid. But anyways what I draw from this game, was even though everything was going against us, we somehow almost came out with a W or at least chance for a W down 3 with 15 seconds. All of the bad calls, Indiana unconscious first half, and turnovers and yet we still fought back in the toughest arena to win at on the road. It is almost a moral victory. Especially with #1 team coming into the barn.

1. Turnovers

2. Defensive rebounding

3. Officiating

And, of course, you have to give all the credit in the world to the opponent. They were up for the game, and they were sharp. Their defense was super and did not let up the whole game.

There's a certain amount if B1G Home Cookin' you have to expect, because it always happens. Today went beyond that. That said, I'm not convinced that if this had been called the same as a 'regular' B1G road game, we' have won.

And, of course, you have to give all the credit in the world to the opponent. They were up for the game, and they were sharp. Their defense was super and did not let up the whole game.

Damn you Bad Gopher
+2

Seemed like the refs were not doing us any favors. I certainly was unhappy with the officiating but not in an unusual way.

It's not that they were horrible, it's just that there were multiple instances where they could have called something our way during our various second half runs which made it sting a bit.

That said, I'm not losing sleep over the officiating. There were many calls that could have gone their way too.

I really do like the moxie of this team though! Can't wait for the rematch.

The officiating was about what I expected. A little more fire in the first half and better perimeter defense and it wouldn't have mattered. My beefs with the officiating weren't specific to this game. If an offensive player makes contact with a defender while going up for a layup/dunk and is leading with his knee, that tells me that the defender has been set long enough to draw a charge. I remember #2 from Indiana doing this in particular. Second, if an offensive player is dribbling with one hand and pushing the defender away with the other, that's an offensive foul. Hulls did it all the time, but no one has ever gotten away with it more than Evan Turner used to.

Top Bottom