What if?

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
What if?
- #1 Duke loses @ #20 NCState, and
- #2 Michigan loses @ #15 Ohio State, and
- #8 Gopher wins @ #5 Indiana

Is it possible for the #8 team to leapfrog all of them up to #1?

I would assume Duke would stay #1 and we'd jump to #2 just ahead of Louisville.

I remember when Arizona beat Florida they jumped from 8 to 4. If we beat Illinois AND Indiana. I think there is a good chance we jump to 3 or 2 pending other results this weekend. I doubt we'd go all the way to 1, but it's possible I suppose.

Has a #1 ever stayed at #1 following a loss? I highly doubt it.

Louisville would move to #1 (their only loss is also Duke). Then it would probably be us at #2 followed by Duke. At least that's my guess.

I guess I don't see how either us or Louisville pass Duke in the minds of voters, since we both lost to them and we'd have an equal number of losses.

Duke doesn't have Ryan Kelly for the forseeable future, and Duke would have a worse loss than we do. They could drop a ways.

It's not about who you lose to. It's when you lose to them.

I don't see Duke losing tomorrow. hate to say this. but i think out 2nd come tomorrow againist Indiana.

I'd prefer Michigan come into Williams Arena undefeated and ranked #1 in the country. I hope the Wolverines smoke Ohio State.

Shades of 1989. ...

I'd prefer Michigan come into Williams Arena undefeated and ranked #1 in the country. I hope the Wolverines smoke Ohio State.

Shades of 1989. ...

Duke has a key player out and another that has a problem with his leg. Duke will not win tomorrow.

Michigan will go into a hostile road game and Ohio State will step up and beat them. Michigan with 3 key freshmen has over achieved thus far and that will be exposed this week end.

The Gophers go into Indiana and (hope I am wrong; I hope; I hope; I hope) and lose by more than 10 points. I think we come back and beat Michigan and at 16 and 2 may be in the discussion for a number one ranking.

Duke has a key player out and another that has a problem with his leg. Duke will not win tomorrow.

Michigan will go into a hostile road game and Ohio State will step up and beat them. Michigan with 3 key freshmen has over achieved thus far and that will be exposed this week end.

The Gophers go into Indiana and (hope I am wrong; I hope; I hope; I hope) and lose by more than 10 points. I think we come back and beat Michigan and at 16 and 2 may be in the discussion for a number one ranking.

How would we jump Indiana and move all the way up to #1 if we lose by 10 and then beat Michigan. Poor logic! and it's weekend not week end, just fyi.

This will be Duke's toughest game until the NCAA tourney, and they could be at their weakest right now personnel wise, I'd almost guarantee that Duke loses. If they win, they could ride #1 into the NCAA tourney?
Michigan is young, and playing on the road against a decent OSU team will be tough. I think there are benefits either way, if they win or lose. If they win, we get a shot at a #1 ranked team. If they lose, it makes room for us if we beat IU, makes room for IU if we lose to them. That would be good for us long term as well.
Louisville is highly regarded as are the other teams ranked ahead of us in the standings, such as Kansas and Syracuse. Even a road win over IU won't vault us to #1. It will just be assumed that IU was overrated. We'll move up, to #3 or #4. But I would love to be wrong.

Best for us is to enter top 3 with win at Indiana, and Michigan win and be ranked #1. That would set up a great chance for the Gophers to be #1. For sure they will beat Michigan.

I guess I don't see how either us or Louisville pass Duke in the minds of voters, since we both lost to them and we'd have an equal number of losses.

Logically, yes, but like furry said below you, that's not how the polls work...

Top Bottom