MINNESOTA-IU PLAYER MATCHUPS?

UofMdad

Reaction score
All stats are for BIG games only! I don't think we match up all that well IMHO

Cody Zeller 7'0 C PPG 16.5, RPG 7.9, FG% 62, FT% 71
Trevor 6'8 C PPG 9.3, RPG 7.9, FG% 58, FT% 64.

Christian Watford 6'9 F PPG 12.7 RPG 6.5 FG% 43 FT% 89 3PT% 45
Rodney 6'7 F PPG 12.6 RPG 5.9 FG% 54 FT% 64 3PT% 27

Jordan Hulls 6'0 G PPG 11.1 RPG 2.8 FG% 51 FT% 81 3PT% 52
Andre 6'1 G PPG 13.7 RPG 2.9 FG% 46 FT% 78 3PT% 43.

Victor Oladipo 6'5 F PPG 13.3, RPG 5.9, FG% 67 FT% 67, 3PT% 47
Austin 6'4 F PPG 10.8 RPG 3.4 FG% 41 FT% 81 3PT% 38

Will Sheehey 6'7 F PPG 12.1, RPG 4.1, FG% 53, FT% 73, 3PT% 39
Joe 6'4 F PPG 10.9 RPG 4.2 FG% 51 FT% 74 3PG% 33

Remy Abell 6'4 G vs ?

Kevin Ferrell 6' G vs ?

Here's some stuff from Eamonn Brennan and Myron Medcalf about the Indiana-Gopher match-up and just the game in general:

Brennan: We don't really "root" for anyone, obviously, but I have to say I was glad to see Minnesota get something like a statement win at Illinois Wednesday. Why? Because (a) I do think Minnesota is that good, and it's nice to see a team not fall back to the middle of the pack on the road in Big Ten play, and (b) it sets up a really great game in Bloomington, Ind. Saturday. The Hoosiers are almost impossible to beat at home, and they're defending and rebounding so well right now that I'm close to removing that "almost" tag entirely. But Tubby Smith's is exactly the kind of team designed to give them fits. Big guards, athletic wings, physically imposing interior strength (led by Trevor Mbakwe), all of whom grab offensive boards at the highest collective rate in the country. Throw in Indiana's crowd, and what it's like to watch the Hoosiers fly up and down the court in Assembly Hall, and yeah: I cannot wait for this game.

Myron: Eamonn, you know I covered the Gophers for the first four years of the Tubby Smith era. And I'm completely shocked by this team. This is Tubby's best Gophers team and I'll tell you why. He finally has athleticism and skill in the backcourt that he has lacked in past years. Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman and Austin Hollins comprise a really potent trio for Smith. And with their length inside, this could be Indiana's worst matchup. But you're right. The Gophers are going into the fire. Hoosiers' faithful will show up and show up big. A few years ago, I covered a game at Assembly Hall during an ice storm. Indiana fans showed up ON TIME. So there's that. But how will the Gophers handle that environment and an Indiana team that's played great D in recent weeks and loves to get up and down the floor and launch the 3-ball? Man, what a matchup.

And more from Brennan:

3. Minnesota: I love this Minnesota team. The Gophers have everything a coach could want: A big, bruising, veteran forward who grabs a ton of rebounds (Trevor Mbakwe); an insanely athletic four (Rodney Williams); and a cadre of efficient, physical guards (Andre Hollins, Joe Coleman, Austin Hollins) who not only make shots but get to the rim and impose their will on opposing defenders. Oh, each week we've done these rankings, this has been the nation's best offensive rebounding team. That is still the case this week. (If it changes, rest assured I'll let you know.) Asking a team to win at Indiana is a lot. Asking them to do it three days after toppling Illinois in their Assembly Hall is kind of ridiculous. But you know what? I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers pulled it off.

Why not? Match ups are more than about stats.

You are correct sir. I just hope that our physicality, transition points and better outside shooting as a team will carry the day for the Gophers and our legs are not too tired. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!

Quite surprised that both guys failed to mention that only one team won at Assembly Hall last season. That team was the University of Minnesota.

The Gophers handled "the environment" just fine last season, and that team didn't have Trevor Mbakwe roaming the lane, not to mention the Gophers are a heck of a lot better & more experienced than they were last season.

An important thing early on in this game will be whether the officials blow the whistle when Zeller performs his first dramatic, arm-flailing flop. Zeller is a fantastic player, but he doesn't like contact much. Hopefully the refs don't blow the whistle every time he falls down.

I doubt that it happens because he's in the doghouse, but I'd love for Eliason to log some good minutes and push Zeller around for awhile.

Zeller is a fantastic player, but he doesn't like contact much.

This is why I'm not super worried about Zeller. We have Mbakwe and EE coming off the bench to bang him around in the post. Oladipo scares me a lot more. His size and athleticism creates such a match up nightmare, a lot like Rodney. I'm interested to see who Tubby has guard him. Personally, I would put Austin on him, but then again I'm not the coach.

Quite surprised that both guys failed to mention that only one team won at Assembly Hall last season. That team was the University of Minnesota.

The Gophers handled "the environment" just fine last season, and that team didn't have Trevor Mbakwe roaming the lane, not to mention the Gophers are a heck of a lot better & more experienced than they were last season.

An important thing early on in this game will be whether the officials blow the whistle when Zeller performs his first dramatic, arm-flailing flop. Zeller is a fantastic player, but he doesn't like contact much. Hopefully the refs don't blow the whistle every time he falls down.

+1

As long as we body-up on Zeller things will be fine. Mbakwe will handle zeller, and the other four can guard just about anyone. Watford will have a height advantage but he plays like a guard.

3 guys in particular really worry me as a fan.

Yogi Ferrel, Jordan Hulls, and Christian Watford!!

Do NOT forget about a yogi Ferrel, their freshman who has potential along with Jordan Hulls to absolutely light us up from long distance.

Christian Watford on the other hand has just about everything you could want out of a forward, he can shoot, he can take you off the dribble, he can post, play defense, etc.

I feel like Mbakwe will man up a weak Zeller inside like Zeller's never seen before, so while Zeller is great, not at all worried about that matchup.

I think that our game will be made or broken by imposing our physicality on them, and guarding the 3 from about 5 of their guys who can light it up from long range.

Go Gophers!!

Trevor's nearly 4 years older than Zeller, hopefully he pushes him around like an older brother posting up his younger brother.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. Reminds me of when, according to ESPN, we beat the Evan Turner-less Buckeyes when he had near a triple double. Too hard for them to comprehend that a not great Gopher team could've done that with Turner playing.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. Reminds me of when, according to ESPN, we beat the Evan Turner-less Buckeyes when he had near a triple double. Too hard for them to comprehend that a not great Gopher team could've done that with Turner playing.

I don't think that was ESPN, it was Clark Kellogg and he did it all season long including when he called our games in the B1G Tournament.

I don't think that was ESPN, it was Clark Kellogg and he did it all season long including when he called our games in the B1G Tournament.

ESPN did it in their game recap as well. Believe it was Andy Katz.

This is why I'm not super worried about Zeller. We have Mbakwe and EE coming off the bench to bang him around in the post. Oladipo scares me a lot more. His size and athleticism creates such a match up nightmare, a lot like Rodney. I'm interested to see who Tubby has guard him. Personally, I would put Austin on him, but then again I'm not the coach.

I think he'll match-up against Coleman, but wouldn't be surprised if he just takes whoever is hot for us tomorrow.

He might've been first, but sadly it spread and I remember at least 2 people on ESPN said it. There were some other announcers in a later game who said it as well.

It's hard not to worry about playing against a player who is arguably the best player in the nation

It's hard not to worry about playing against a player who is arguably the best player in the nation

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about Zeller, but I'm not going to lose sleep tonight wondering how we'll match up with him. I think we're one of the few teams in the nation that match up really well against him. What other team has a player with the strength and motor that Mbakwe has? Plus EE won't come off the bench and let Zeller push him around. I'll be more worried about how we match up against Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway than I am about Zeller, because if the Hollinses get into foul trouble, who will we put on them. Welch and who?

I think they will put Oladipo on Andre because he is the only guy we have that can create his own shot (Step back jumper).

That's gonna put a lot of pressure on Austin and Joe to create offense. Let's hope they're up to the challenge.

My biggest fear is that the refs will fall for Zeller's constant "flailing" and "flopping" on the low blocks. He has developed the ability to charge, create contact and then throw his head back, getting a call from the ref based on rep....Just like Sullinger for 2 years at OSU.

If Mbakwe can avoid 2 fouls in the first half, we have a great chance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about Zeller, but I'm not going to lose sleep tonight wondering how we'll match up with him. I think we're one of the few teams in the nation that match up really well against him. What other team has a player with the strength and motor that Mbakwe has? Plus EE won't come off the bench and let Zeller push him around. I'll be more worried about how we match up against Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway than I am about Zeller, because if the Hollinses get into foul trouble, who will we put on them. Welch and who?

Fair enough

If Oladipo is on Andre, who is Hulls going to guard? Joe? Austin? I like those match ups. Weather the storm early, get a few "crowd quieter's" and I like our chances. Should be fun.

I was confident going into IL...we just work harder than they do and we aren't lacking in talent like we have in the past few years. But IN is different...we beat them last year at IN but it was a fluke IMO. IN is way better this year (I know....so are we).

I think the keys to this game are as follows:
1. Fouls - who gets the others guys in foul trouble. And who gets to line more.
2. EE - I think we will need strong minutes from EE to compete down low. Mbakwe can't go 40 against Zeller and if EE comes in and disintegrates like he did vs. IL...we are in trouble...it will be Plumlee 2.0
3. 3 Pt Shooting...we don't have to out shoot IN to win...we do have to keep pace. If we are down 4 plus in threes made at the end of this game...I don't think we can win.

It is so much fun to realize that the Gophers actually have a chance to beat the number 5 ranked team in the country on the road!!! I have been waiting for this since Clem left.

This is going to be a special season. We actually have a very good chance of winning every single game we play. How rare is that for a Gopher team?

Not saying we will win every single game we play from now on but taken game by game we certainly could.

The number 2 team in the nation comes to the Barn next Thursday and we will probably be favored!

Liven the dream season.

2. EE - I think we will need strong minutes from EE to compete down low. Mbakwe can't go 40 against Zeller and if EE comes in and

If I were EE, all my focus would be on stopping Zeller. He's not going to be on the court to score. He needs have a much bigger impact on the defensive end than on the offensive end. If he can limit Zeller for 2-3 minutes at a time that would be HUGE.

FT's made will be huge in this game. We must attack the basket without charging. We can't afford to get anybody in foul trouble.

We need the refs to NOT bite on every one of Zeller's flops and flails. He really throws his head back (ala JFK) after HE initiates contact. I've seen him get that call repeatedly this year. Very much like Sullinger for OSU the last two years and Manu Ginobili in the NBA.

Not saying we will win every single game we play from now on but taken game by game we certainly could.

I was thinking about this earlier today. I don't think there will be a single team that we will come across (regular season and tournaments) that I won't think we don't stand a chance against. Obviously we won't win out, but we will have a chance (some games bigger than others) at least to win every game.

I agree...how this game is called will determine the outcome IMO. I am concerned that IN will get some tasty home cooking.

Has anybody said if we get Eddie "Showtime" Hightower?

Actually Eddie might be ok to have when we are on he road because he seems to relish pissing off the home fans.

Top Bottom