Who says Tubby is leaving? Those who want him!

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Remember people, no one, including Tubby, has EVER suggested he is going anywhere. He has done nothing but sing the praises of the U and his decision to come here. The only instability that even exists now is because of what everyone OTHER than Tubby and the U are saying. I mean, give me a break, people.

I am a huge Vikings fan and this is like Vikings fans constantly talking about Jay Cutler coming to Minnesota. Who says Cutler is coming to Minnesota other than Vikings fans who want him here?

Quite frankly I am getting SICK of hearing this Tubby paranoia. I understand that in today's day a man's word means nothing. We have seen so much double speak that we believe nobody has honor or convictions, but if there is a throwback conservative principled man in coaching left it's Tubby. I for one believe that he is a man of his word and that he would be ashamed to not stand by what he says. I don't believe for a second Tubby says things regardless of there truthfulness just to get ahead. I also believe Tubby believes in responsibility and commitment I think he feels both responsible for the young men he has brought to Minnesota and committed to them and I think he feels committed to the U for what they have given him.

You know there use to be a time where most men would pass up things that appeared to be "better" for them because they had given their word. I really believe this is the type of man Tubby is.

Because I think that Tubby is this type of man, I find it impossible to believe A) that Tubby will be swayed simply on money B) I find it impossible to believe Tubby would have made the comments he did in the recent press conference about how he felt about the U, just for convenience or bargaining power. C) I think Tubby knows that there will be years (retirement) that he can move closer to roots and enjoy that time then. D) If Tubby says it I believe that settles it, if there is any coach who's word is gold, I believe Tubby is it. I believe if Tubby was considering a move he wouldn't say anything, he would never offer false words.

Bottomline. .. . I don't believe Tubby won't leave because Minnesota is better than X or Y, I just believe Tubby is not going to leave because HE SAID IT. I believe Tubby is a man of his word, and he has given it.

I believe Tubby is a man of his word, and he has given it.
Honestly, I agree with you, and everything you said about Tubby.

But just to play Devil's advocate, I really respect Roy Williams in a similar way, as we all know what happened with the Kansas --> UNC move. He flat out swore at the media for asking the question about him leaving Kansas for UNC, and within a few weeks was their new head coach.

But just to play Devil's advocate, I really respect Roy Williams in a similar way, as we all know what happened with the Kansas --> UNC move. He flat out swore at the media for asking the question about him leaving Kansas for UNC, and within a few weeks was their new head coach.

yeah, but in a way you are kind of comparing UNC to Virginia of all places. Williams to UNC compared with Tubby to Virginia is not apples to apples. UNC is probably the #1 college b-ball job in front of UCLA, Duke, Kentucky. Virginia isn't even a top 30 job in my opinion.

Virginia can't carry UNC's jock strap or frankly Minnesota's for that matter.

He also did that because the b!tch reporter (excuse my language) had the gall to ask him about it 2 minutes after he lost the national championship game. I'd have cussed her out too, regardless of my intentions.

BMom

I'm a first time poster on this "newer" GopherHole. Used to post on the old site (once in awhile) and took the opportunity to register for this new one because I wanted to say something about all of this.

I do not believe that Coach and Mrs. Smith have any intention of going anywhere, however, if they are allowing themselves to think about it, I hope they consider that Virginia had their opportunity to get Coach and "blew it!" TOO BAD FOR THEM!

Coach and his family are settled in here, he has a top top recruiting class coming in, Minnesota loves them and we have a GREAT thing going here. Go away, UVA and let us be.

yeah, but in a way you are kind of comparing UNC to Virginia of all places. Williams to UNC compared with Tubby to Virginia is not apples to apples. UNC is probably the #1 college b-ball job in front of UCLA, Duke, Kentucky. Virginia isn't even a top 30 job in my opinion.

Virginia can't carry UNC's jock strap or frankly Minnesota's for that matter.

I politely disagree - sure UNC is a tremendous job, but so was the Kansas job. The difference? UNC was Williams' alma mater. That makes a huge difference - the place you love. So, if Tubby were to go, it would be to the place he truly calls home. And you can't blame a man for that. Conversely, one CAN blame DickRod for leaving his alma mater in shambles to head to Michigan.

Also, UVa is probably about the same stature of job as Minnesota in terms of history - UVa has had their years, so have the Gophers. The ACC is great, so is the Big Ten. If Tubby leaves Minnesota, it'll be to go home. That's all.

I don't get this comparison, but people make it all the time. Roy Williams was asked that question minutes after his Kansas team had lost an emotional game in the NCAA Tournament. The school in question, UNC, was an elite program and was a place that Roy had previously coached at as an assistant under Dean Smith, so there was a very personal and meaningful personal connection on top of being an elite program. Virginia is not an elite program and Tubby never coached there in any capacity. He has some family ties in the area, but nothing even close to what Williams had when he left Kansas for North Carolina.

Another person that also gets brought up in such comparisons is Nick Saban. Again, Saban left a pro job for an elite college program, which is a completely different situation. Virginia is not an elite program, not even close. And I doubt Tubby uses Williams or Saban as examples of how to handle his business.

This is the kind of bluster that is coming from the Virginia folks and some Gopher fans because it creates conversation. But to be honest, there is very little comparison between this situation and either the Williams or Saban scenarios.

Top Bottom