Dick Vitale

gophersfan

Reaction score
If you love him or hate him. But Dick Vitale will be calling Michigan @ Minnesota next Thursday for ESPN. He said it in his ESPN chat yeterday.

How many times will he mention Duke in a non-Duke telecast?

I'll be at the game, so I won't see the telecast. Could someone do me a favor?

Watch the entire game and count how many times he mentions Duke/Coach K, etc., in any way. I'll bet he can't get through the telecast without mentioning the Dukies at least once or twice. It's mandatory that he has at least one a*s-kiss/brown-nose Duke moment per game. It's in his contract.

I'll be at the game, so I won't see the broadcast. Could someone do me a favor?

Watch the entire broadcast and count how many times he mentions Duke/Coach K, etc., in any way. I'll bet he can't get through the telecast without mentioning the Dukies at least once or twice.

You know he will, especially with one of the Dukies (Ryan Kelly) out indefinitely with injury.

Watch the entire game and count how many times he mentions Duke/Coach K, etc., in any way. I'll bet he can't get through the telecast without mentioning the Dukies at least once or twice. It's mandatory that he has at least one a*s-kiss/brown-nose Duke moment per game. It's in his contract.

...not in the context of "that has been MN only loss..."

Here is part of his chat transcript:

Evan (Minneapolis)
Hello Mr. Vitale. Big win for the Gophers last night although the next two games will be even tougher. This team has the ability to absorb large runs, counter with their own, and put away a ball game as opposed to previous years. I feel that they can be dangerous in the NCAA Tournament and make a run. Thoughts?
Dick Vitale

Tubby Smith has done a good job and th only loss is to Duke. They have two tough games ahead with Indiana and Michigan. Minnesota is healthy and this is Tubby Smith's best team. Hollins and Coleman are doing well. Great win at Illinois last night. Mbakwe has been a force inside. Life in the Big Ten is tough game after game. Minnesota has not won an NCAA tournament game since Clem Haskins was coach, they should win this year.

Dave (WI)
How do you rank the Big10 right now and how many go to the dance?

Dick Vitale
The Big Ten is clearly the best conference in America and they will beat each other up night in and night out. Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan State ... wow. Don't think that going to Madison is easy. Iowa has improved. The league will get plenty of teams in, but more importantly, they will have a number of them in the Sweet 16. I rate the Big Ten first, followed by the Big East when you look at Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, etc.

Michael (St Paul, MN)
Mr Vitale. I have not seen you do a game in a while? Will you be doing play by play for the Michigan vs Minnesota game next Thursday on ESPN?

Dick Vitale
Yes I will be there. I am looking forward to it.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/46682

Go Gophers!!

...not in the context of "that has been MN only loss..."

Trust me, if we still have just the one loss (meaning we beat IU), Vitale will take the opportunity to mention the Gophers' only loss & quickly turn it into a 2-minute a**-licking on the virtues of Duke.

Thank God for season tickets. Don't have to listen to that putz and his long-ago worn-out schtick.

If ever Dick Vitale and Brent Musberger were teamed up, I think I would spontaneously combust!!!

If the tables were switched and the Gophers were #1 having beaten one of the teams playing, with the other team the only other unbeaten in the country, wouldn't you expect the Gophers to be mentioned a couple times? Dicky kisses everyone's A$$.

Dicky kisses everyone's A$$.

He is the mother of all a**-kissers, certainly. However, there is no a** he prefers to stick his nose in more than Duke/Coach K. ... and it's not even close. 20+ years of watching way too many college basketball games on ESPN has taught me that, if nothing else.

As others have already pointed out, when I first saw this - I immediately began to guess how many times he'd mention Duke and how many times he would let the audience know the Gophers lost to Duke in November.

Every time I see his name mentioned anywhere, on any message board... there is always a lot of frustration over his love affair with Duke. You'd think he'd tone it down a little and someone would pull him aside to let him know that he turns people off with his Duke fetish. But, it just goes on and on. Perhaps it is just his schtick now.

It was funny to see he worked Duke in within a sentence or two in that transcript related to Gopher questions above.

He is the mother of all a**-kissers, certainly. However, there is no a** he prefers to stick his nose in more than Duke/Coach K. ... and it's not even close. 20+ years of watching way too many college basketball games on ESPN has taught me that, if nothing else.
Vitale's nose is so far up Duke/Coach K's a$$ he can smell the pancakes they ate for breakfast.

Trust me, if we still have just the one loss (meaning we beat IU), Vitale will take the opportunity to mention the Gophers' only loss & quickly turn it into a 2-minute a**-licking on the virtues of Duke.

Thank God for season tickets. Don't have to listen to that putz and his long-ago worn-out schtick.

Absolutely. Duke is foremost on his mind 24/7 and has been since the 1980s. I've gotten to the point where whenever I hear his voice during a game broadcast (regardless of what game he is calling that night), I automatically hit the mute button. His obsession with all things Duke/Coach K knows no bounds.

Let's be honest, he'll do it even if we lose to Indiana.

If he has ANY opportunity to give Coach K a verbal rimjob on national tv you better believe he's going to do it.

He is entertaining to listen to, however. But then again I like having diarrhea and hemorrhoids.

I don't mind him. I'd rather listen to Vitale gush about Duke than listen to Gus Johnson scream at the top of his lungs because somebody made a free throw.

Wow we pulled in the likes of Vitale to cover the game? I can't remember the last time he called a game of ours. Some hate Vitale, but at least he's genuinely enthusiastic about the sport,

Thank god for radio simulcast during television broadcasts on my ipad. No Dick for me!

. ... whenever I hear his voice during a game broadcast (regardless of what game he is calling that night), I automatically hit the mute button.

That works.

I've gotten to the point where when Dukie V's doing a game, I just switch to another channel, even if the other game isn't as good. And double that if he's teamed with his own personal boot-licker and fellow Duke a**-kisser Mike Patrick. When those two do a Duke game together, run away, run away, run away. The fawning is enough to make one hurl.

Favorite possible Dickie V calls to be heard next week:

"up up and away baby." - On Williams dunk

"oh - oh! oh- oh! You better get a T.O. Mr. Beilein..."

What else?

That works.

I've gotten to the point where when Dukie V's doing a game, I just switch to another channel, even if the other game isn't as good. And double that if he's teamed with his own personal boot-licker and fellow Duke a**-kisser Mike Patrick. When those two do a Duke game together, run away, run away, run away. The fawning is enough to make one hurl.

Don't mind Patrick all that much. He's a little over the top, but I generally give him the benefit of the doubt because he does some other sports as well and does pretty good job with them imo. This was mentioned earlier, but when Vitale has done games with Musberger, It took everything to keep my brain from spontaneously combusting. No set of human ears should be subjected to the endless drivel that flows like the Mississippi during those games.

It's a given that Dick Vitale will praise Duke and Coach K. Not that he doesn't find a reason anyway, but Duke is undefeated and handed us our only loss while Michigan will likely enter the game as the only other undefeated team in the country. There's plenty of available context. However, Dick Vitale loves to make nice with the home team, especially if it plays well. The Gophers will still get plenty of praise and hype from Dickie V.

I can agree with most of the comments here for why people hate the Dukies and makes me smile to know he was in Cbus when we beat the crap out of them last year. I'll be watching the game on silence and rooting for the gophers to beat scUM. No way they should be undefeated between these next two games.

I don't mind him. I'd rather listen to Vitale gush about Duke than listen to Gus Johnson scream at the top of his lungs because somebody made a free throw.

Not me. At least Gus is talking about the teams they're broadcasting. Vitale can get so far off topic sometimes its ridiculous.

If the Gophers beat Indiana I'm sure we will here about it 3 or 4 times at least.

Top Bottom