Do you think Tubby will stay at Minnesota?

How long do you think Tubby will stay at Minnesota?

• I think he will retire here

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • I think he will be here for a few years

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I think he will stay for one more year

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I think he's gone ASAP

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

GopherLady

Reaction score
Personally, I think all the Tubby leaving for UVA talk is ridiculous, but I am by no means, any kind of expert. I do know, that I've had a lot of people come to me and insist they heard from a good "source" that he's going to UVA...yet, they weren't willing to put their money where their mouth is and bet on it.

This is going to happen, a lot, with Tubby. We have one of the most coveted coaches in the country, and it's a good thing to have people want him. I will go on record as saying, as long as he gets his practice facility, I don't see him leaving anytime soon. That's my vote, what's yours?

No, he's not leaving...however, he's using these job rumors as a way to extract a practice facility out of Maturi. Also, I think Maturi will give Tubby a raise. That's why Tubby has not come out and said he's definitely not going anywhere. He wants to leave it out there hanging a little bit to get more guarantees from Maturi.

No. Can't see him leaving. Period.

GL... Thanks for your input and opinion. Bleed had a thread that Tubby was in CA watching Cobbs, and possibly looking at and for more. My opinion is this....Why would he go to CA to be supportive of Cobbs, et.al., if he did not intend to stay and the University of Minnesota and continue to build on the foundation he has now established? I, for one, am sick of people expressing opinions of Tubby staying or leaving. No one knows a darn thing.

By the way, Maturi gave Tubby a 7-year contract as part of the original deal, with the promise that he would do all he could to help Tubby grow the Gophers BB program with a new facility. It has started.

he may leave sometime but

he wont be leaving soon. IMHO he will stay at least 4 seasons to give his first recruits a chance... I hope he stays til he retires.

I love Tubby. I confess.

I think if he doesn't go this year

He's here for awhile.

I think he wants a legacy and he doesn't have that yet. I think that's what attracted him here in the first place.

I just hope we know soon one way or the other

97alumni. you made this statement:

"I just hope we know soon one way or the other"

We DO already know...Tubby Smith is the Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball Team.

I love Gopher Basketball, but I have a hard time putting a sense of urgency on building new facilities to keep a coach in light of how things are going now in the real world. Times are tough for our K-12 schools, tuition increases, and nursing home staffs. I think we should make a commitment to a facility, but the timing is poor.

This is a great job, and next years recruiting class along with Aldrich and Leuer have opened a lot of eyes to the possibility of this program becoming the next resurgent school like Washington, Pitt, and Villanova have accomplished in recent years.

97alumni. you made this statement:

"I just hope we know soon one way or the other"

We DO already know...Tubby Smith is the Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball Team.

Very true - I just want it out there in big bold type so people in VA can see it :D

Ok, here it is in big bold type:

Tubby Smith is the Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball Team.

As I've said on other threads, I don't think Tubby can win in Virginia as easily as here. He's done much of the hard work in getting two back to back great recruiting classes, to walk away from that and not enjoy the ride seems silly at this point in his life.

I think we'll get a practice facility quicker, which is good for the program. The practice facility will be paid for quickly if Tubby stays here.

Gold Dirt:

"He's done much of the hard work in getting two back to back great recruiting classes, to walk away from that and not enjoy the ride seems silly at this point in his life."

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!! And He ain't gonna quit trying, recruiting, coaching, winning, and being successful until he does it here at the University of Minnesota.

My theory: Tubby retires as a Gopher, and anoints Saul as the "head coach in waiting". The Gophers will be coached by a Smith for decades.

I love Gopher Basketball, but I have a hard time putting a sense of urgency on building new facilities to keep a coach in light of how things are going now in the real world. Times are tough for our K-12 schools, tuition increases, and nursing home staffs. I think we should make a commitment to a facility, but the timing is poor.

This is a great job, and next years recruiting class along with Aldrich and Leuer have opened a lot of eyes to the possibility of this program becoming the next resurgent school like Washington, Pitt, and Villanova have accomplished in recent years.

Just think of it as infrastructure investment. Our part in getting the economy going. it may also pay for itself if it means we latch on to Tubby for a while. A successful BB program must result in some revenue increase and donations.

Practice facilities can be built entirely on private donations. What the hell does that gotta do with K-12 education? Kentucky's new facility cost around $30 million and not one iota of taxpayer money was spent on it.

Also, Tubby has a current contract, but Maturi can rip it up and give him a new one. It's done all the time. I think Tubby will likely get a raise after getting the Gophers rebuilding process a year ahead of schedule, which is exactly the words Maturi uttered.

He said he wasnt.. i mean.. I dont understand why people are even still talking about this

Practice facilities can be built entirely on private donations. What the hell does that gotta do with K-12 education? Kentucky's new facility cost around $30 million and not one iota of taxpayer money was spent on it.

Also, Tubby has a current contract, but Maturi can rip it up and give him a new one. It's done all the time. I think Tubby will likely get a raise after getting the Gophers rebuilding process a year ahead of schedule, which is exactly the words Maturi uttered.

Kentucky is allegedly College Basketball Camelot, we haven't met the fundraising obligation for TCF Stadium. How are we going to achieve that for a practice facility?

Obviously I don't know him but everything you read/hear about Tubby is that as good a basketball coach as he is, he's a better person.

He & Littlepage (our AD) are good friends...he may not end up being UVA's head coach, but I can't see him using an offer for the primary purpose of getting a new practice facility out of Minnesota. If he listens to/considers our offer I believe it will be sincere and without ulterior motive.

I agree that the practice facility should -- and likely will -- be paid for by private donors only. I can't imagine the state picking up the tab.

I wasn't aware that we hadn't met the fundraising requirement for TCF -- does anybody know how much more needs to be raised? Also, how much overlap is there between football donors and basketball donors? Is it the same pockets or different pockets?

I don't know that Tubby would use other programs interest to get more money out of Maturi. Maturi knows what he has in Tubby so I think it isn't necessary. I think it is more likely that Maturi would use the threat of Tubby leaving when it comes to trying to raise money from donors.

95% of the nation's b-ball programs would like to have Tubby instead of their current coach. Worrying everytime a job opening comes up is going to cause an ulcer and accomplish nothing. This guy isn't Glen Mason.

Some donors prefer certain sports...

Kentucky is allegedly College Basketball Camelot, we haven't met the fundraising obligation for TCF Stadium. How are we going to achieve that for a practice facility?

I have no inside knowledge, but there very well may be some donors who are willing to support the basketball program that aren't interested in football. Just like on this board, some follow only basketball or football and some follow both. Donors are people too...

I wasn't aware that we hadn't met the fundraising requirement for TCF -- does anybody know how much more needs to be raised?

A couple million...8 maybe? Don't have the time to hunt down the answer right now but I know its not much (all things considered).

If I were a betting man, I would wager a platter of Old Hickory Pork Ribs, Chicken Breast, and Sliced Pork that Tubby will retire at Minny in around 12 to 15 years, if your laws allow it. The signs are to strong with or without a new Practice Facility. My two cents worth. Good day Minny fans!

If I were a betting man, I would wager a platter of Old Hickory Pork Ribs, Chicken Breast, and Sliced Pork that Tubby will retire at Minny in around 12 to 15 years, if your laws allow it. The signs are to strong with or without a new Practice Facility. My two cents worth. Good day Minny fans!

YUMMY - now I'm hungry :)

Hooville is a Hoot!

Some are still in denial and think that it only matters what he has told UVA administration, not ours. Some think Tubby owes them a press conference to say he is not coming to VA. Maybe they need to realize that it is their own Administration that needs to hold the press conference on how the search is going. Personally I don't think they owe them even that. The fans will just have to wait to find out who their new couch will be because it will not be Tubby Smith.

The still think their is a 25-50% chance they land Tubby. LOL

I'll take that bet. My wager is all all you can eat lutesfisk dinner.*

*Note: When I say all you can eat, I mean that literally, not all you WANT to eat.

I agree, Tubby is staying here, he'll retire here as a legend, with a new practice facility with his name on it. But this bet is win-win: I either get good food or lose lutefisk. That's win-win, for me at least.

I really like the Barn! When I saw it the atmosphere reminded me of the LSU football stadium on a cool Saturday night in October with the fog rolling in over the stadium. The barn is very special to college basketball!! I don't think Tubby would want to change such a home court advantage.

Top Bottom