Tubby in Sacramento to watch Cobbs' state final game

BleedGopher

Reaction score
March 21, 2009
Tubby and Monty and recruits galore
Some pretty fair coaches are on hand at Arco Arena, and we're not just talking the high school crew leading state championship programs.

Cal's Mike Montgomery is here, making the rounds. So is Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, who has already landed guard Justin Cobbs of Bishop Montgomery.

Cobbs is a terrific shooter who had four three-pointers and 24 points in a one-point loss to Salesian in the Division IV title game, led by another talented recruit - destination unknown - in junior swing Desmond Simmons. All Simmons did was score 31 points and gobble up 19 rebounds, and we hear he has great grades to go with his promising game.

On Friday, we saw two UCLA recruits in Rocklin's Brendan Lane and Windward-Los Angeles Anthony Stover. Lane has an offensive game - inside and out - and he blocked 10 shots. Stover's offensive game is dunking, though he is an impressive defender at 6-foot-10.

Tonight's D-I game includes McClymonds guard Will Cherry, a nice recruit for Montana, and leaper Damon Powell. Westchester, ranked second nationally, has several recruits, too.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/preps/archives/020924.html

Go Gophers!!

On a link earlier I listened to Cobbs' game, sounded like a college game from the audio. Also sounded like Cobbs at 6'3" will end up being one heck of a good point guard for us, as well as a good shooter and disher and slasher from the point.

Thanks, Bleed, what is your impression on what I said?

March 21, 2009
Some pretty fair coaches are on hand at Arco Arena, and we're not just talking the high school crew leading state championship programs.

Cal's Mike Montgomery is here, making the rounds. So is Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, who has already landed guard Justin Cobbs of Bishop Montgomery.

Cobbs is a terrific shooter who had four three-pointers and 24 points in a one-point loss to Salesian in the Division IV title game, led by another talented recruit - destination unknown - in junior swing Desmond Simmons. All Simmons did was score 31 points and gobble up 19 rebounds, and we hear he has great grades to go with his promising game.

On Friday, we saw two UCLA recruits in Rocklin's Brendan Lane and Windward-Los Angeles Anthony Stover. Lane has an offensive game - inside and out - and he blocked 10 shots. Stover's offensive game is dunking, though he is an impressive defender at 6-foot-10.

Tonight's D-I game includes McClymonds guard Will Cherry, a nice recruit for Montana, and leaper Damon Powell. Westchester, ranked second nationally, has several recruits, too.

Go Gophers!!

I posted this in another thread, but this kind of behavior doesn't suggest he's moving anywhere, at least to me. Going to watch a player that you already have signed to Minnesota when you might be looking at another job?? Doubt it. Of course, he could be telling him that he's moving to another school. But this doesn't sound like the behavior of a coach who is looking at other possible jobs especially since the Virginia people say they were going to put the "full court press" on over the next couple of days.

The fact that he's on the road seeing one of his recruits instead of staying at home to talk things over with his other coaches and family members while Virginia is supposedly putting on a "full court press" suggests that he's staying put.

Also

There is a junior big man (6-8 or 6-9) on Cobbs' team that Tubby may be scouting.

Come on FOT

There is a junior big man (6-8 or 6-9) on Cobbs' team that Tubby may be scouting.

Tell the truth FOT. Tubby is talking to the Kings about moving to the NBA for $30 million a season! Sid will have the story tomorrow. We are doomed!

:):):):)

Richard Solomon.....

is the 6-9 post Cobbs' team.....scouting report says he "runs like a gazelle," and grew from 6-5 as a sophomore. I think I heard that his dad played for Michigan in the 70's? So maybe he wouldn't mind a taste of the midwest. The Simmons dude sounds is ranked 147 by rivals for 2010.

and I agree....Tubby wouldn't be out there if was thinking of ditchin' us!

Tubby could very easily be out there if he was planning on ditching us.. Cobbs is a Tubby recruit, not a Minnesota recruit. Sure, he signed here, but if Tubby goes to UVA and wants Cobbs, I think Cobbs will do everything he can to get out of his commitment here and sign with UVA.

The Gophers would likely let anyone that wanted out of their commitments out, since it's rare for a team to block a kid if he's yet to set foot on campus. I think Royce and Rodney, and even Trevor are near locks to stay whether Tubby leaves or not.. but Cobbs could leave if Tubby does.

Tubby is going to recruit the same out of state kids whether he's at Minnesota, UVA or anywhere else, so him being on the road isn't a sign either way he's staying in my opinion.

Key phrase....

In my opinion.

Apparently you don't know Tubby's reputation. He's not going to chase down kids who've SIGNED a letter of intent. He didn't do that when he left Kentucky, and he wouldn't do it here. You'd better rethink what "TubbyTime," is all about.

Tubby could very easily be out there if he was planning on ditching us. Cobbs is a Tubby recruit, not a Minnesota recruit. Sure, he signed here, but if Tubby goes to UVA and wants Cobbs, I think Cobbs will do everything he can to get out of his commitment here and sign with UVA.

The Gophers would likely let anyone that wanted out of their commitments out, since it's rare for a team to block a kid if he's yet to set foot on campus. I think Royce and Rodney, and even Trevor are near locks to stay whether Tubby leaves or not.. but Cobbs could leave if Tubby does.

Tubby is going to recruit the same out of state kids whether he's at Minnesota, UVA or anywhere else, so him being on the road isn't a sign either way he's staying in my opinion.

Umm, not exactly.

Cobbs' LOI signature commits him to MINNESOTA not Tubby.

March 21, 2009

Go Gophers!!

Weschester W the Div I game.

Bishop Montgomery led 59-50 with under 4 mins left but missed some FTA that allowed Salesian to rally and W it.

Umm, not exactly.

Cobbs' LOI signature commits him to MINNESOTA not Tubby.

Did you not read the rest of the post? I went on to say sure, he signed with Minnesota, but if Tubby leaves and UVA has an open scholarship, I think Cobbs will do everything he can to get out of his commitment here. When was the last time you can remember a school not allowing someone who has yet to step onto campus out of a scholarship when there was a coaching change? If Cobbs doesn't want to be here with the new coach, he'll be let out of his scholarship.

well it will be flip if tubby were to bolt. IMO not a drop off at all and who wouldnt want to play for someone that knows what it takes to make it to the league

Check Tubby's interview with Sid/Dave. He is staying.It looks like you can call yourself TubbyTime2010.

Did you not read the rest of the post? I went on to say sure, he signed with Minnesota, but if Tubby leaves and UVA has an open scholarship, I think Cobbs will do everything he can to get out of his commitment here. When was the last time you can remember a school not allowing someone who has yet to step onto campus out of a scholarship when there was a coaching change? If Cobbs doesn't want to be here with the new coach, he'll be let out of his scholarship.

Regardless, his signed NLOI commits him to Minnesota.

UK did not let Bradley, Anthony, Hogan out of their LOI in 1997 (when Tubby came there) despite requests from all 3 families.

Regardless, his signed NLOI commits him to Minnesota.

UK did not let Bradley, Anthony, Hogan out of their LOI in 1997 (when Tubby came there) despite requests from all 3 families.

this has become a gray area for the ncaa...

a young fellow open enrolled at good, ole hopkins high a number of years ago...

his name was kris humphries...he faxed his nloi to duke...then was 'released' from his commitment to duke...and signed on with the u for the 2003-'04 season...

a faxed nloi doesn't mean what it used to mean...

not that this matter is related to any current or future gopher recruits:eek::eek::eek:

this has become a gray area for the ncaa...

a young fellow open enrolled at good, ole hopkins high a number of years ago...

his name was kris humphries...he faxed his nloi to duke...then was 'released' from his commitment to duke...and signed on with the u for the 2003-'04 season...

a faxed nloi doesn't mean what it used to mean...

not that this matter is related to any current or future gopher recruits:eek::eek::eek:

There's no gray area whatsoever. A signed letter of intent binds an athlete to that school, unless the school releases you. Coach K released Humphries which allowed him to go to Minnesota. Had Coach K not released him, then Humphries would have either had to go to Duke or sit out a year. It has been this way forever. Nothing has changed. A faxed LOI means what it has always meant.

There's no gray area whatsoever. A signed letter of intent binds an athlete to that school, unless the school releases you. Coach K released Humphries which allowed him to go to Minnesota. Had Coach K not released him, then Humphries would have either had to go to Duke or sit out a year. It has been this way forever. Nothing has changed. A faxed LOI means what it has always meant.

tj,
not sure how long you've been around...perhaps you're still in your early teens???:D:D:D

you know there are national letters...institutional letters...conference letters...

the ncaa has been 'softening' its position in a number of areas, but newbies like yourself haven't been around long enough to observe the changes...

note to tj...in order for the ncaa to avoid the endless lawsuits, they have 'modified' their position on a number of fronts...over the years/decades...:D:D:D

tj,
not sure how long you've been around...perhaps you're still in your early teens???:D:D:D

you know there are national letters...institutional letters...conference letters...

the ncaa has been 'softening' its position in a number of areas, but newbies like yourself haven't been around long enough to observe the changes...

note to tj...in order for the ncaa to avoid the endless lawsuits, they have 'modified' their position on a number of fronts...over the years/decades...:D:D:D

Uh, note to dinky. No, the NCAA has not softened its stance. It is quite simple. If an athlete signs a LOI, he is legally bound to that school...period. That's how it has been since the LOI was instituted decades ago. In other words, if Tubby left and the U did not release any of the recruits from their LOI, then all of those players would either 1 - have to attend the U OR 2 - sit out a year. That's how it has been forever. Not sure what you're talking about in terms of softening. It hasn't been softened. Can you cite a specific example of an athlete who was not granted a release who was able to get out of a LOI? Probably not.

Now if you're insinuating that more schools are allowing releases, then that could be. But, the actual letter of the law on a LOI has not been softened. At all.

Uh, note to dinky. No, the NCAA has not softened its stance. It is quite simple. If an athlete signs a LOI, he is legally bound to that school...period. That's how it has been since the LOI was instituted decades ago. In other words, if Tubby left and the U did not release any of the recruits from their LOI, then all of those players would either 1 - have to attend the U OR 2 - sit out a year. That's how it has been forever. Not sure what you're talking about in terms of softening. It hasn't been softened. Can you cite a specific example of an athlete who was not granted a release who was able to get out of a LOI? Probably not.

Now if you're insinuating that more schools are allowing releases, then that could be. But, the actual letter of the law on a LOI has not been softened. At all.

and who do u think provided the member institutions with this flexibility???????:D:D:D:D:D

this flexibility did not exist a generation ago, as i mentioned earlier....:cool02::cool02::cool02:

to answer your question, the sean higgins case of the late '80's helped to precipitate this trend of the signed loi becoming something less than binding...ucla did not grant higgins his release on their own...the ncaa stepped in and said, 'you are free to go to michigan...':eek::eek::eek:

and who do u think provided the member institutions with this flexibility???????:D:D:D:D:D

this flexibility did not exist a generation ago, as i mentioned earlier....:cool02::cool02::cool02:

to answer your question, the sean higgins case of the late '80's helped to precipitate this trend of the signed loi becoming something less than binding...ucla did not grant higgins his release on their own...the ncaa stepped in and said, 'you are free to go to michigan...':eek::eek::eek:

Dinkything...

shut up.

No one cares about 1 case 20 years ago. You are wrong. It doesnt matter anyway, Cobbs isnt going anywhere, and neither is Tubby.

Institutions absolutely had the power to grant a release a generation ago. That hasn't changed. There are several cases in the mid-80s (pre-Sean Higgins) where institutions granted LOI releases. Again, not much has changed in the "letter of the law."

And, the Sean Higgins case is a unique one, in that it involved accusations of improper inducements, a crazed stepfather, a weird deal involving his mother on signing day, and a few other strange things. The "run of the mill" athlete (i.e. Justin Cobbs) could not get out of his LOI if the U doesn't let him. It is really that simple.

But, at the end of the day, most schools do grant the release (many times with some restrictions), so the "letter of the law" isn't all that important anymore. If that's what you're getting at, I agree with that, as I mentioned in the last post.

Institutions absolutely had the power to grant a release a generation ago. That hasn't changed. There are several cases in the mid-80s (pre-Sean Higgins) where institutions granted LOI releases. Again, not much has changed in the "letter of the law."

And, the Sean Higgins case is a unique one, in that it involved accusations of improper inducements, a crazed stepfather, a weird deal involving his mother on signing day, and a few other strange things. The "run of the mill" athlete (i.e. Justin Cobbs) could not get out of his LOI if the U doesn't let him. It is really that simple.

But, at the end of the day, most schools do grant the release (many times with some restrictions), so the "letter of the law" isn't all that important anymore. If that's what you're getting at, I agree with that, as I mentioned in the last post.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1065735/index.htm

i knew you'd eventually swing around, tj...:D:D:D

Top Bottom