Do you think Mbawke will score 1,000 career points as a Gopher?

Do you think Mbakwe will score 1,000 career points as a Gopher

• Yes, the beast will join Rodney in the 1,000 point club

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 81.8%

• Total voters

burton34

Reaction score
He currently has 678 points. Let's conservatively assume that the Gophers have 19 remaining games (15 BT, 2 BTT, 2 NCAA). To meet the 1,000 point mark, he would need to average 17 points per game over those 19 games. Obviously the deeper we go in to the respective tournaments the lower that average becomes.

For someone who has reached 17+ points only 14 times in his career, I think it's a near impossibility.

Without looking at his career stats, I'd guess he has a better chance of hitting 500 rebounds?

EDIT - Nix that, I see he already has reached that, should have known better...

I think it will be close, but I would bet he finishes with about 950. Too many options on the team. There will probably be a lot of games when he gets 12 and 10, and he wouldhave to make up for it with a bunch of 25 point games, and I dont see that. He is a great rebounder and athlete, and has pretty good moves in the post, but I just dont see him getting enough shots to average 17 per game. 14 yes, but not 17...

Can someone put this into perspective? How many Gophers have scored 1,000?

(Too lazy to look it up and don't have the media guide)

Here's the top 10 in scoring all time for Minnesota:

Mychal Thompson 1,992
Willie Burton 1,800
Randy Breuer 1,777
Sam Jacobson 1,709
Kevin McHale 1,704
Quincy Lewis 1,614
Tommy Davis 1,481
Trent Tucker 1,445
Chuck Mencel 1,391
Marc Wilson 1,386

According to Amelia, Rodney was the 38th Gopher player to reach 1,000 when he did it against Northwestern: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/185898541.html

I don't think Trevor will get it. Like others said, the team is too balanced. What I do think is remarkable is that it's fairly likely that all five starters will average 10+ points a game by the end of the season. The only one who isn't right now is Mbakwe and that's because of his playing time early on.

It's not out of the question that Andre Hollins is on the Gophers scoring top 10 list at the end of his junior season. He scored 323 points last year and is on pace for about 500 this year.

If Trevor got 1,000 points as a Gopher (if I am understanding this thread correctly) that would be unreal IMO. Rodney did it in 4 years. Trevor would essentially be doing it in a little over 2 years.

only needs 14 a game if we get to the B1G title game and the final four. Could happen.

Here's the top 10 in scoring all time for Minnesota:

Mychal Thompson 1,992
Willie Burton 1,800
Randy Breuer 1,777
Sam Jacobson 1,709
Kevin McHale 1,704
Quincy Lewis 1,614
Tommy Davis 1,481
Trent Tucker 1,445
Chuck Mencel 1,391
Marc Wilson 1,386

According to Amelia, Rodney was the 38th Gopher player to reach 1,000 when he did it against Northwestern: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/185898541.html

I know Voshon Lenard scored over 2,100 points but was stripped of the all time Gopher scoring record.

If Mbakwe gets 1000, everyone in our starting 5 will score 1000 by the time they graduate.

only needs 14 a game if we get to the B1G title game and the final four. Could happen.

All 3 of those things are crazy. Not saying none of them can't happen, but all are a long shot.

Mbakwe's great, but this is simply impossible. He doesn't even average 10 ppg, so to get like 15 ppg would be hard with our balance.

Big Ten Title game? Maybe... But getting past the semis will be incredibly hard.
Final Four? Okay, that's just downright impossible to predict at this point in the season.

All 3 of those things are crazy. Not saying none of them can't happen, but all are a long shot.

Mbakwe's great, but this is simply impossible. He doesn't even average 10 ppg, so to get like 15 ppg would be hard with our balance.

Big Ten Title game? Maybe... But getting past the semis will be incredibly hard.
Final Four? Okay, that's just downright impossible to predict at this point in the season.

Good points. For every 10 point game he would need a 20 point game, probably not going to happen. Still is the best PF MN has had in a long time.

Top Bottom