Either Way, I Wish Tubby Would Take A Stand

akgopher

Reaction score
Stay and announce you're retiring here, or just take the Arizona or Virginia job and be done with it. We have a top 10 class coming in and we'll get a top coach because of the momentum.

This is how Glen Mason lost me, he seemed to be always looking for the next job. But, if Tubby isn't going to commit to staying, he better start producing in a big way next year. At what point does this hinder recruiting?

We got Monson when he was the hottest coach in the nation and we lured Tubby from UK. A competent coach would have secured Aldrich and Leuer and those two would have made us a top 10 team. This area produces a lot of talent without much local competition for recruits. Because of these reasons, I'm not that worried about the situation- but would like closure.

Stay and announce you're retiring here, or just take the Arizona or Virginia job and be done with it. We have a top 10 class coming in and we'll get a top coach because of the momentum.

This is how Glen Mason lost me, he seemed to be always looking for the next job. But, if Tubby isn't going to commit to staying, he better start producing in a big way next year. At what point does this hinder recruiting?

We got Monson when he was the hottest coach in the nation and we lured Tubby from UK. A competent coach would have secured Aldrich and Leuer and those two would have made us a top 10 team. This area produces a lot of talent without much local competition for recruits. Because of these reasons, I'm not that worried about the situation- but would like closure.

I certainly see his side of it, though. If he comes out definitely that he's staying, then he loses all leverage for anything he might want from Minnesota (i.e. practice facility, more money, assistant coach raises, travel budget, etc.) Any smart agent would advise Tubby to not say anything until you get what you want from Minnesota. This comes with the territory. When Tubby was hired, I said the one downside was he would be pursued by many top flight programs. In a weird way, I think this could help us. I think he SHOULD let it drag out. Let everyone say how he could go to some of these other "big time" programs. Then, when he finally does stay, it can be understood that he thinks he can win here. That will further legitimize what he's doing here. Recruits will like that he's wanted and that he's committed.

To compare this to Glen Mason is laughable at best. Mason interviewed for jobs at Michigan State, LSU and basically broadcast his OSU interview on live TV.

Tubby doesn't need announce anything. He isn't the one fueling the speculation rather it's the message boards and media. If Tubby had to announce something to appease us every time his name was mentioned with a job it would be a weekly thing this time of year.

jeebus

this is getting downright silly. Folks are just freaking out 'cuz newspapers write total conjecture and it gets read as if it were fact. Must we have convulsions everytime some head coach gets fired?

Tubby is our coach. Tubby is our coach til Tubby says he isnt. I am aok with that. My only concerns are how our players get better by next November and 2010 recruiting.

Go get 'em Tubby !

Hoo-Ray Tubby. Head Coach of the Golden Gophers! :clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said, gentlemen....

I couldn't agree more with all 3 of these posts even though they have slightly varying opinions. Its refreshing to come across a thread now days that actually contains well-conceived thoughts and ideas instead of name-calling and personal vendettas against other posters. Well done, gentlemen (or ladies)...well done!!!!

Hey Tubby is doing the right thing.....

he came home with his team, then left all the negativity behind to see one of his prospects out west. He shouldn't have to deny...again....that he wants another job.

He has taken a stand. He said he is not looking. You don't give guaratees to your boss any more than Tubby should give one to his.

Plus, even if Tubby leaves, Flip Saunders is waiting in the wings. We won't have to put up with this constant B.S. if Flip is coach. Unless the NBA comes calling...

I will repeat:

Tubby Smith is the Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball Team

I will repeat:

Tubby Smith is the Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball Team

Yes, we know Dr.Don.

But to pretend that it will 100% always be that way while plugging our ears and putting our heads in the sand simply ignores the reality of college basketball today.

Tubby is our coach, agreed. But that could change any day. It's a business, plain and simple. If you don't think Maturi has a Plan B in case Tubby should leave tomorrow you're kidding yourself.

Leftyslefty summed it up:

"he came home with his team, then left all the negativity behind to see one of his prospects out west. He shouldn't have to deny...again....that he wants another job."

Tubby Smith is and will remain the Head Coach of the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers Basketball Team.

Do NOT give me the crap about it being a business. It is LIFE.

I'm with TJ and doc don on this. Tubby's not going anywhere, but he's a smart cookie, he understands the politics of big time athletics.

I'm with TJ and doc don on this. Tubby's not going anywhere, but he's a smart cookie, he understands the politics of big time athletics.
I agree as well. I don't think Tubby is going anywhere...but this is the big time now. We've got a Top 10 coach, so it goes with the territory.

Exactly: "this is the big time now. We've got a Top 10 coach, so it goes with the territory."

And Tubby knows that.

Welcome to the big time.

BigLife BigStage BigTen....and don't forget BigPlay!!!!!LOL.

Top Bottom