BTN use of coaches' poll

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Just wondering.

Do broadcasts have to pay for the right to display rankings during games?

For instance, does ESPN have to pay some small fee to the AP to display the rankings during broadcasts?

If so, I wonder if that might be behind why BTN uses the coaches' poll rather than AP (licensing cost).

I wouldn't think that newscasts/papers/etc. would have to pay because they are reporting on it. But using it in a broadcast of a game is different.

Which reminds me.

Did I hear one of the bonehead announcers last night say that this win will help the Gophers "break into the top 10"?

I was wondering the same thing. BTN seems to be rare in their use of the coach poll.

Pollls

Just wondering.

Do broadcasts have to pay for the right to display rankings during games?

For instance, does ESPN have to pay some small fee to the AP to display the rankings during broadcasts?

If so, I wonder if that might be behind why BTN uses the coaches' poll rather than AP (licensing cost).

I wouldn't think that newscasts/papers/etc. would have to pay because they are reporting on it. But using it in a broadcast of a game is different.

Would this topic be brought up if for whatever reason the Gophers were rated higher in the Coaches Poll instead of the AP? The only benefit is the Gophers scores come up quicker on the crawl at the bottom of the screen, they have absolutely no bearing on NCAA Tourney selection or seeding.

For whatever reason they are using the USA Today Coaches poll, who knows maybe the BTN gets a discount ad rate or Jim Delany gets a free subsription. Big whoop. They can't just change over to the AP poll because Minnesota is a few spots higher.

No it's more because the AP poll is the standard that most others use (mainly CBS, ESPN and pretty much every newspaper except USA Today).

AP equates to a Visa or American Express
Coaches Poll is like when you go to Sam's Club and try to use your Visa or American Express, but they only take Discover. Sam's Club = Big Ten Network.

Top Bottom