ESPN highlights of game

Haha. I've kind of become accustomed to announcers refering to Austin and Andre as brothers. Don't really care either way, but it is kind of amusing I guess.

I'll cut him some slack because he referred to the 1996-97 season ("first time since. ...") without adding the usual "vacated" caveat.

I'll cut him some slack because he referred to the 1996-97 season ("first time since. ...") without adding the usual "vacated" caveat.

It seems that the local media and the University itself are the ones that use the "vacated" term all of the time. The national media seems to ignore the term when talking about the 96-97 season.

It seems that the local media and the University itself are the ones that use the "vacated" term all of the time. The national media seems to ignore the term when talking about the 96-97 season.

Yes, the "vacated" references get rather tiresome. I know the NCAA requires that the U expunge it from their media guide, take down banners, etc., and all that (and I understand that), but to completely ignore the actual results simply because the NCAA says it didn't happen is downright silly.

UCLA, Memphis (x 2), Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, UMass. ... we've been told those teams didn't play in the Final Four, or that some of their seasons didn't even occur. I'm sure there are a few more. Yes, those schools cheated and had Final Four appearances/seasons expunged, but if somebody tells me the Gophers haven't started 3-0 in conference play since 1974-75, or that Michigan didn't appear in the 1992 and 1993 Final Fours, I know they are wrong. I saw the Gophers start 3-0 in 1996-97, and I saw the Fab Five make those Final Four appearances. They cheated, yes, in grand fashion, and were punished for it, but the games happened.

Hopefully there's another Gopher Final Four appearance somewhere down the road, but this one expunge-free.

I just about pulled my hair out trying to see a recap of the game on Sportscenter last night. ESPN had an NBA game on so I went to the only ESPN channel showing sportscenter: ESPNews. They put the topic list on the left of the screen and it marches down until each item listed is discussed/shown. Pretty typical. What I couldn't get over is the fact that not once, but TWICE the Gopher/Illinois game appeared at the top of the list and I waited until it marched to the bottom. Both times, just as it got to the bottom, ESPN broke for long commercial break and came back to an entirely different list (didn't cover the Gopher game)! Why the F would you go through the trouble of producing a marching list that doesn't show the items you claim you will be showing?!?!?!? I ended up staying up way too late to see a short highlight package on one of the other ESPN's that i could have easily reviewed via DVR at any time. Damn you, ESPN.

If the game had been on ESPN or ESPN2, they would have given it more play. But we also must remember that it's much more important to hear a minute-by-minute recap of RG III's knee surgery along with constant regurgitation of the KG/'Melo spat. ESPN must stay on topic. ... the designated "hot stories" in their news cycle.

I just about pulled my hair out trying to see a recap of the game on Sportscenter last night. ESPN had an NBA game on so I went to the only ESPN channel showing sportscenter: ESPNews. They put the topic list on the left of the screen and it marches down until each item listed is discussed/shown. Pretty typical. What I couldn't get over is the fact that not once, but TWICE the Gopher/Illinois game appeared at the top of the list and I waited until it marched to the bottom. Both times, just as it got to the bottom, ESPN broke for long commercial break and came back to an entirely different list (didn't cover the Gopher game)! Why the F would you go through the trouble of producing a marching list that doesn't show the items you claim you will be showing?!?!?!? I ended up staying up way too late to see a short highlight package on one of the other ESPN's that i could have easily reviewed via DVR at any time. Damn you, ESPN.

This has happened to me multiple times. The list makes no sense if they're just going to reset it every few minutes. BTN is a much better, more consistent, source for highlights now that football is over.

ESPN wants big news coming out of the break with items of less interest towards the back prior to a commercial. The Gophers are not a name brand team like Duke or Kansas and don't have a name brand star, such as it is in college with all the one and dones. So we're up on the list of coming stories if they don't need to break, but if another segment runs over and they have to hit a commercial before they get to the Gophers, the list gets reset coming back from break to ensure they lead with material likely to garner more viewers. It's just how it is.

Regarding the Hollins brothers thing, it reminds me of something a SportsCenter anchor said around 1997 or 1998. Sam Jacobson hit a big shot on the highlight reel. The anchor enthusiastically said "With the three! Sam Jacobson, they call him the Jewish Jordan! I kid you not". Sam, of course, was not Jewish. A few people certainly thought he was, but I don't recall ever hearing him referred to by that nickname previous that SportsCenter segment. At any rate, the moniker sort of stuck to the extent that he still occasionally turns up erroneously on lists of Jewish athletes.

. ... it reminds me of something a SportsCenter anchor said around 1997 or 1998. Sam Jacobson hit a big shot on the highlight reel. The anchor enthusiastically said "With the three! Sam Jacobson, they call him the Jewish Jordan! I kid you not". Sam, of course, was not Jewish. A few people certainly thought he was, but I don't recall ever hearing him referred to by that nickname previous that SportsCenter segment. At any rate, the moniker sort of stuck to the extent that he still occasionally turns up erroneously on lists of Jewish athletes.

I seem to remember Sam's mom good-naturedly being quoted as saying (paraphrasing), "We're very flattered with the cool nickname, but our family is Catholic, not Jewish."

The Jewish Jordan did roll of the tongue nicely, for sure.

Speaking of the Jewish Jordan, there was another kid who was actually called that. Think he was supposed to go to Maryland but ended up at Towson?

Thanks for saving me the typing. I did the same exact thing.

I also noticed one time that the Michigan game was on the list and simply disappeared (and not during a commercial break). When I saw that, I wondered if they were having some issues with getting the video from BTN for the both games.

Tamir Goodman is his name. He did exceptionally well in high school against very low level competition. Looking at him in all the news stories at the time, it was clear he had some skills, but wasn't even close to physically ready for ACC ball, especially on the defensive side of things. Maryland was prepared, at first, to make a lot of accomodations to his Orthodox Jewish faith in terms of game and practice scheduling. However, he had trouble adjusting on and off the court, which I think made Gary Williams realize that a mistake had been made. The planned accomodations weren't as available and Goodman transferred out.

Top Bottom