The fast break

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
The starting 5 on this team are so good on the fast break it's scary. We're threading the needle on a 2 on 3 for a dunk where most teams would set up a play or pull up for a jumper. Awesome passing and court vision by everyone.

Agreed. Andre had some passes in transition last night that were perfectly placed, right in stride. Then you throw in guys like Coleman, Rodney and Austin that just attack the rim in transition and its a great recipe.

We are finally seeing the up-tempo style that Tubby had been preaching.

Speaking of fast breaks, that intentional foul that Illinois committed last night was a HUGE momentum shift for us. They were starting to make a big run and we converted it into a 5 point possession. Very stupid foul by Illinois.

Go Gophers!!

The starting 5 on this team are so good on the fast break it's scary. We're threading the needle on a 2 on 3 for a dunk where most teams would set up a play or pull up for a jumper. Awesome passing and court vision by everyone.

Agreed. This is the best Gopher team in terms of the transition game that I can remember. They turn defense into offense with exceptional quickness and efficiency. All of them attack the rim on the break, which is absolutely great to see.

Austin and Rodney pushed the ball up the floor with the pass very well last night.

Illinois is a horrible pressing team. Did you see Groce call a timeout after Colman was all alone for the dunk?

The fast break was like clockwork. This team can really throw a nice bounce pass while running full speed.

This years team is pretty awesome in transition and its a true vision of what Tubby wants. I would like to throw out their the Paul Carter teams from a few years ago.. they could run and were active defensively. Nothing like this years team, but its not the first time Tubby has had an athletic team. I remember looking at our squad with Paul Carter and Westy and thinking.. man, this is an athletic Gopher team. That said, this version is incredible!

Having guards that are a little more mature helps that immensely. It was hard to run before when you're trying to push with young guards who aren't as confident in their ballhandling. You can clearly see the improvements from Dre, Austin, and Coleman specifically in their ability to handle the ball. Not saying they're high level or anything, but they're at least comfortable starting a break or threading tight passes more than they were the previous year (two in Austin's case). It'll be interesting to watch next year having all the guards coming back and seeing how they intermingle with the new bigs (specifically Buggs should flourish in fast break opportunities I'd think).

Some of the best fast breaks I have seen in a loooooooooooong time.

The guys made great passes but showed good hands as well.

The way they handled the full court press was great. Made for some great easy buckets!

Top Bottom