Fire Tubby!

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
This is the thread where the support group can gather. Have you guys been holding your weekly meetings this season?

Looks like Tubby might keep the crowbar in his desk drawer this season!

My favorite complaints: "players don't get better under Tubby" and "the ball line defense doesn't work" - lol

My eyes might be fooling me, but that didn't look like ball line defense. It looked more like old-fashioned, grind it out, fight through screens, switch when you have to man-to-man defense.

Why haven't those "fire Tubby" geniuses been posting lately? Go Gophers!!

My eyes might be fooling me, but that didn't look like ball line defense. It looked more like old-fashioned, grind it out, fight through screens, switch when you have to man-to-man defense.

There was definitely more emphasis on guarding the 3pt shooters as opposed to doubling the players in the paint. Good game plan.

Don't worry, the 'Fire Tubby' crowd will come back the moment there is a stumble or two along the way. If we find a way to beat IU on the road, then we may even see the "Tubby has this team peaking too soon" thread pop up.

I thought Tubby called two fantastic timeouts last night. If I have a beef with Tubby, it's that he's a below average game manager. He called the first TO when Illinois cut a 12 point lead to 6. Then he called a TO when the Gophers lucked out on a basket and got the lead back up to 12. He was able to keep the legs fresh and cut the momentum of the Illini. Fantastic job.

This is the thread where the support group can gather. Have you guys been holding your weekly meetings this season?

Looks like Tubby might keep the crowbar in his desk drawer this season!

Have been payed attention to the knee jerk "Fire Tubby" contingnet however five years in to his tenure and zero NCAA tourney wins is big time underachieving. This years squad is talented enough to get to the Sweet 16 or better so hopefully he'll make hay while he had Williams and the Trevor on the court.

There was definitely more emphasis on guarding the 3pt shooters as opposed to doubling the players in the paint. Good game plan.

He basically said as much post game, that they weren't really worried about what they could do inside. And he was right, they didn't do a whole lot.

Have been payed attention to the knee jerk "Fire Tubby" contingnet however five years in to his tenure and zero NCAA tourney wins is big time underachieving. This years squad is talented enough to get to the Sweet 16 or better so hopefully he'll make hay while he had Williams and the Trevor on the court.

While I agree that Tubby has underperformed to date, there have been some extenuating circumstances that allowed me to justify giving him more time. I think everybody knew this was the make or break season for him, and anything less than a solid Big Ten conference finish and a NCAA tourney appearance (and at least 1 win?) were in order.

five years in to his tenure and zero NCAA tourney wins is big time underachieving

On the basis of how successful Minnesota basketball has been historically? All of this would've been avoided if he'd just left the crowbar in his desk drawer.

When Michigan State took the lead in the second half against us last week, the guy sitting right to my left said "we need to fire Tubby."

When we won the game I turned to him and said "thank god we didn't fire Tubby 10 minutes ago."

Go Gophers!!

When Michigan State took the lead in the second half against us last week, the guy sitting right to my left said "we need to fire Tubby."

When we won the game I turned to him and said "thank god we didn't fire Tubby 10 minutes ago."

Go Gophers!!

Hahaha, knee jerk much? I mean, I was mad too but geez LOL

People with the itchy trigger finger to fire coaches are everywhere, but what bothers me are the ones who are cavelier about it, and have absolutely no one in mind for a replacement. You want to fire your coach for underperforming? Fine. But you better have some names lined up who will realistically take the job, and improve the program. Otherwise, you're just another blowhard.

People with the itchy trigger finger to fire coaches are everywhere, but what bothers me are the ones who are cavelier about it, and have absolutely no one in mind for a replacement. You want to fire your coach for underperforming? Fine. But you better have some names lined up who will realistically take the job, and improve the program. Otherwise, you're just another blowhard.

Brad Stevens! Shaka Smart! Surely they won't have better job opportunities anytime in the near future! The line of coaches wanting to coach for the storied Minnesota program (right after they fire their Hall of Fame basketball coach) is a mile long!

If it wasn't for a great starting 5 this team would be terrible. I get nervous anytime we go to the bench, every time we mass sub I think there goes the lead. I have no faith in anyone on the bench. The great bench showed how good they were last night. I wish we subbed like OSU did a few years ago and only played 7 players the whole game. Even then I am not sure who the other two I want to play would be, clearly not Mo or Maverick.

Brad Stevens! Shaka Smart! Surely they won't have better job opportunities anytime in the near future! The line of coaches wanting to coach for the storied Minnesota program (right after they fire their Hall of Fame basketball coach) is a mile long!

Realism is good. Self loathing is bad.

If it wasn't for a great starting 5 this team would be terrible. I get nervous anytime we go to the bench, every time we mass sub I think there goes the lead. I have no faith in anyone on the bench. The great bench showed how good they were last night. I wish we subbed like OSU did a few years ago and only played 7 players the whole game. Even then I am not sure who the other two I want to play would be, clearly not Mo or Maverick.

Wouldn't most teams not be very good if they didn't have their best 5 players? Yeah, the Duke and Kentucky's of the world may go 10 deep, but that's just not typical for the vast majority of programs in the country. And doesn't the fact that OSU only plays like 7 guys tell you they'd probably be pretty bad if it weren't for their great starting 5?

After the starting 5 there is nothing, that is my point. It has to do with Tubby's terrible recruiting. There is maybe 3 BT caliber players on the bench.

HAHAHAHAHA Brilliant. I can't believe I'm even responding. At one point some of those guys were bench guys as well. It is normal for players to develop.

After the starting 5 there is nothing, that is my point. It has to do with Tubby's terrible recruiting. There is maybe 3 BT caliber players on the bench.

Interesting analysis. Who are the "maybe 3 BT caliber players on the bench" in your opinion? I'd say all of them are Big Ten caliber since they are all in the Big Ten, but maybe that is too logical?

I don't love the Gophers bench but Elliason, Welch, Oto, Big Mo, Maverick and others have had good games/moments that have helped the team win. The 5 bench guys were -4 last night (maybe -6) and even though it was a short period of time they got some rest for the starters who had played about 9 minutes at that point since the under 12 time out was late.

I have high hopes for this year, but next year is going to be tough. If Trevor, Rodney, and potentially Andre are gone this will not be a good team at all. Austin and Joe with a bad supporting cast is not a good formula for success.

I have high hopes for this year, but next year is going to be tough. If Trevor, Rodney, and potentially Andre are gone this will not be a good team at all. Austin and Joe with a bad supporting cast is not a good formula for success.

Where is Andre potentially going? You realize there are new guys coming in and guys on the bench who are redshirted/freshman who will be contributing next year, right?

Dude, we're number 8 in the country coming off a top 15 road win...why don't you enjoy it for awhile!

We're glad you're taking the time to enjoy the current season. Keep up the good work.

Where is Andre potentially going? You realize there are new guys coming in and guys on the bench who are redshirted/freshman who will be contributing next year, right?

If Andre continues the great season he is having I would not be surprised if he left early. Why not go when your stock is at it's highest? As for the new guys coming in.... I sure hope the are as good as Mav, Mo, Ingram, EE, and Welch.... If Buggs is decent he would not be redshirting. ESPN rates Ellis as the #53 SG and Foster as the #60 PF, that's not to promising.

Ha. This thread was a tongue-in-cheek joke, but apparently there are still some posters here lacking common sense.

You being one of them.

Couldnt get behind the team before they reel off 3 cong wins dp????? You of the "MN has historically been below average and I cant see that this team is different" bs?

Historically doenst matter.

10 wins to go to meet my prediction of 13 conf wins.

Top Bottom