'if the phone rings, i'll answer it...'

dinkything

Reaction score

which gopher head coach was heard to have uttered this phrase in the past??:eek::eek:

the fact of the matter is...how can you blame an individual for looking to better himself and provide in a greater way for his family? and for possibly wanting to go home?

tubby has an enormous amount of leverage today...an impressive turnaround of a reclamation project (the u's bb program from 2 years ago), a national championship ring on his finger from his kentucky days, an incredible national reputation, big-time programs coming hard after him, and the opportunity for him and his wife to re-locate closer to home

whether tubby stays (and gets his practice facility, a big raise, an extended contract, other nice perks, etc....or whether he goes, i will always appreciate his two years of coaching excellence here in the twin cities :):):)

tubby deserves whatever he gets...:D:D:D

which gopher head coach was heard to have uttered this phrase in the past??:eek::eek:

the fact of the matter is...how can you blame an individual for looking to better himself and provide in a greater way for his family? and for possibly wanting to go home?

tubby has an enormous amount of leverage today...an impressive turnaround of a reclamation project (the u's bb program from 2 years ago), a national championship ring on his finger from his kentucky days, an incredible national reputation, big-time programs coming hard after him, and the opportunity for him and his wife to re-locate closer to home

whether tubby stays (and gets his practice facility, a big raise, an extended contract, other nice perks, etc....or whether he goes, i will always appreciate his two years of coaching excellence here in the twin cities :):):)

tubby deserves whatever he gets...:D:D:D

That was Mike Grant, moron from Eden Prairie...one of the most arrogant comments a high school coach has ever said.

There's a difference though between doing that after a few years at a place and after two years. If you're willing to listen to new offers everytime you've been some place for more then a year, you become Larry Brown, nothing but a hired mercenary. I can see exceptions to this if it is truly to 'go home' but that isn't exactly the case here. Tubby wasn't born in VA and didn't go to school there. I believe Mason gave your title quote in response to a question about Ohio State. While it was still not what you wanted to hear, at least it was in reference to his alma mater.

Let me begin by this: I have a strong feeling that Tubby will remain in Minnesota, but there are some potentially strong factors that could draw the Smith's to Virginia.

Tubby wasn't born in VA and didn't go to school there.

Donna Smith grew up in Richmond, Virginia about 70 miles from the University of Virginia campus. Most of her family still lives in that area. Tubby grew up in Southern Maryland, about 120 miles from the UVA campus. Most of his family still lives in that area. So, taking the UVA job puts them no more than a two hour drive from almost everyone of their family members and certainly tons of friends.

There's a difference though between doing that after a few years at a place and after two years.

It should also be noted that Tubby did leave Georgia after only two years.

And, lastly, UVA almost got him the last time this job came open. Money was the issue. Not enough of it. They likely have learned their lesson. If they make a run at Tubby - then you can bet they will have a Brinks truck ready to back up to the Smith household.

Georgia was different...

Georgia was different as Tubby was younger and on his way up the mountaintop. Now he has been to the mountaintop and is acclaimed to be permanently on the mountaintop. He can use other criteria to decide if and when he moves.

Personally I cant see him abandoning his recruits this soon. He doesnt need more money. He doesnt need more status.

All I have to say to Tubby is this: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Georgia was different

I agree. It was a different situation. But, he did leave after 2 years nonetheless.

He doesnt need more money.

If money wasn't an issue, he already would be the head coach at Virginia. He wasn't offered enough last time. He would have taken it had he been. So, maybe he doesn't need more money, but it still matters. Luckily, we are paying him quite well. That means Virginia will really need to make a strong offer, should they make a run at Tubby.

I actually see Virginia going after Grant from VCU instead of Tubby anyway, which is good for us.

I'm still feeling good about Tubby staying here.

I agree with much of what tjgopher said, except for one thing: Leaving Georgia after two years.

When he left Georgia, he was headed to Kentucky to coach a team that was set for a run at the National title and was considered one of the top jobs, if not the top job in the country, at that time.

Virginia is, ahem, not.

It boils down to this: Personal ties to the area. If he wants to be closer to both his and Donna's family, then he'll bolt. If he wants to continue to lead the Minnesota program, which is already farther ahead than Virginia's, then he'll move.

I highly doubt that he'll leave however.

Let me begin by this: I have a strong feeling that Tubby will remain in Minnesota, but there are some potentially strong factors that could draw the Smith's to Virginia.

Donna Smith grew up in Richmond, Virginia about 70 miles from the University of Virginia campus. Most of her family still lives in that area. Tubby grew up in Southern Maryland, about 120 miles from the UVA campus. Most of his family still lives in that area. So, taking the UVA job puts them no more than a two hour drive from almost everyone of their family members and certainly tons of friends.

And, lastly, UVA almost got him the last time this job came open. Money was the issue. Not enough of it. They likely have learned their lesson. If they make a run at Tubby - then you can bet they will have a Brinks truck ready to back up to the Smith household.

I'm fully aware of the local ties, my only point was that UVA is not his alma mater and VA is not even his home state. As for leaving Georgia, that was totally different. He was leaving to go to arguably the best job in college basketball. If he was considering leaving us for Carolina or Duke, I wouldn't have nearly as big a problem with it. My point is I don't think you bail on your school this soon unless it's for a huge step up, or to your alma mater or to truly 'go home'. While some local ties exist I don't think Virginia quite qualifies. That would be Maryland.

As for UVA's offer this time, it seems virtually certain they ARE going to make him an offer, and they surely will not low-ball him this time. The question is, if he just says to MN, 'match this and I'll stay' will we?

While some local ties exist I don't think Virginia quite qualifies.

Maybe not for Tubby. But, from I hear, by most accounts Donna Smith runs the household. If momma wants to go live in her homestate in a bad way, then Tubby will go. It might be just that simple. Given that she didn't make him move last time around, maybe she doesn't care so much to return home. That would be great for us.

I think we're probably analyzing this too much (I'm guilty of that for sure). Again, I think Tubby stays.

I heard today that he was in Sacramento watching Justin Cobbs play in the California state title game. Interesting behavior for a guy who Virginians think is going there. That was reassuring to hear that he's there and not somewhere on a covert job search.

I think he stays in the Twin Cities.

Maybe not for Tubby. But, from I hear, by most accounts Donna Smith runs the household. If momma wants to go live in her homestate in a bad way, then Tubby will go. It might be just that simple. Given that she didn't make him move last time around, maybe she doesn't care so much to return home. That would be great for us.

I think we're probably analyzing this too much (I'm guilty of that for sure). Again, I think Tubby stays.

I heard today that he was in Sacramento watching Justin Cobbs play in the California state title game. Interesting behavior for a guy who Virginians think is going there. That was reassuring to hear that he's there and not somewhere on a covert job search.

I think he stays in the Twin Cities.

If this is true and he was in Sacramento, that screams "I'm not leaving Minnesota." There is no reason for him to be watching one of his signed Gopher recruits unless he's staying put. Of course, I'm sure some Virginia folks will interpret this as he's just telling Cobbs that the U will let him out of his LOI and then he can come with Tubby to Virginia. :rolleyes:

But this doesn't sound like the behavior of a guy who is heading to another locale...Actually, if this is true, it could be a significant indicator of staying put....

Top Bottom