Cole Aldrich

enge0280

Reaction score
I was at the KU/NDSU game yesterday, and I was wondering if anyone else watched Cole Aldrich closely. Not the times when he was rebounding or dunking (which was quite often) but the rest of the time? I guess I am trying to say that I noticed many a time when he didn't even cross the half court line on offense, or barely make it to the three point line, without getting down in the paint. One fast break in particular for Kansas, Aldrich stayed back underneath the opposing basket and didn't even attempt to walk down the court.

My question is, is this something Bill Self would coach a player to do, as in some way Aldrich is helping to stop any fast break from happening? Or is he just lazy a bunch of the time or not physically conditioned enough to run with the team? It appeared to be lazyness on my part, but I could be wrong.

Self has told Cole to stay back when it seems apparent KU is going to score in transition. It's gotten worse as the season went on, but that's because he's playing with a sprained ankle, a stress fracture in his fibia and a stress reaction in his left foot. Cole's also the trailer for the offense, so he's meant to be one of the last ones down the court.

I was at the games to, and I figured there were plenty of people wondering this. He's certainly not lazy, as he's lost 28 pounds since high school and is in 500 times better shape. He's worked his butt off since he started playing in sixth grade (when he couldn't even make a layup) and now will be a lottery pick one of the next 2 seasons.

That's good to hear. I didn't know he has had those injuries to play through. I think he can definitely be a player at any level, and it was fun to see him look like a man among boys yesterday.

Top Bottom