Let it be anathema ...

rrjackIII

Reaction score
clearly any discussion of Tubby leaving Minnesota to be closer to his home should be met with much derision and ridicule. This kind of topic has no place on the GOPHERHOLE.

So with all due apologies ...

what would it mean to this team or this group of players to have a new coach? Say Flip Saunders.

Would there be player or recruit defections - besides Kevin Payton that is?

What would it mean to our play on the court?

On the court Intensity level - up or down?

Offensive set - better or worse?

Defensive alignment and performance - downgrade or upgrade? Zone or Man-to-man - Both?

In game coaching - better or worse?

Team guard play - better or worse?

Big man performance - up or down?

Intangibles - player development - team concept - maturity & growth of young player concept - better or worse?

Assistant coaching staff ? - Recruiters or tacticians?

Would Flip's successful ( NBA Finals ) PRO background translate into a successful college coach?

Would his successful years at Golden Valley Lutheran College help to transition him back to the college game.

Would his years in the NBA help him to recruit elite HS Players who want someday to play in the NBA (would that exclude anyone?).

This post should probably be deleted but I couldn't help it.

Players Leave Whenever There Is A New Coach

2 left Minnesota when Tubby came - B Webster and B Smith.

Several left Kentucky when Tubby left there - M Williams, D Jasper, M Coury.

Several others left UK when he arrived - M Bradley, R Hogan, M Anthony.

Maybe not right away but players leave (within a year) after a coaching change.

It's a moot point.

I love Tubby Smith, but if he does end up going elsewhere (which he could *possibly* do, I doubt it, but most were shocked when he left Kentucky too), I would love Flip as our coach.

Great X's & O's coach, probably would be a phenomenal recruiter with all his NBA experience and contacts, local guy & hometown hero; we'd be lucky to get Flip if Tubby ended up leaving.

I love Tubby Smith, but if he does end up going elsewhere (which he could *possibly* do, I doubt it, but most were shocked when he left Kentucky too), I would love Flip as our coach.

Great X's & O's coach, probably would be a phenomenal recruiter with all his NBA experience and contacts, local guy & hometown hero; we'd be lucky to get Flip if Tubby ended up leaving.

Few were shocked THAT Tubby left UK but many were surprised that he went to Minnesota. He had never been mentioned as a possible Gopher coach until March 22, 2007.

Flip Saunders is an excellent basketball coach.

Few were shocked THAT Tubby left UK but many were surprised that he went to Minnesota. He had never been mentioned as a possible Gopher coach until March 22, 2007.

Flip Saunders is an excellent basketball coach.

Tubby's greaest value is his ability to recruit. I think Flip is just as good a coach as Tubby. But, I doubt he would be able to recruit nearly as well.

My concern with Flip is that in the pros he had a pretty complex playbook. I hope he would be able to dumb it down a little for the college.

Not concerned about his recruiting. If he targets a player(s), I suspect his resume would be instantly respected and players should be honored a coach of his calibre would offer him a scholie in the first place, unless the player is totally hung up on himself that is.

Flip's strongest asset as a potential college recruiter would be telling 5-star recruits this:

"You want to make it to the NBA? I can help with that."

Top Bottom