Should OSU have fouled late in the 1st OT

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
After PJ Hill hit 2 free throws with less than 10 seconds in the 1st OT OSU was up 3.

I was yelling at my TV to foul Moore as he was dribbling upcourt.

How many agree with me?

After PJ Hill hit 2 free throws with less than 10 seconds in the 1st OT OSU was up 3.

How many agree with me?

For sure. He could have fouled him with 5 seconds left. OSU alum Clark Kellogg was just talking about this strategy yesterday and how he cannot believe more teams don't do it. I bet he was livid watching on his TV in Greensboro, NC.

It's that same situation from the Wisconsin/Gopher game and then a week later, in reverse when Wisconsin was at Iowa. I know that some coaches think it is, I don't know, unsportsmanlike maybe. Maybe they think, "my team can play good enough defense to prevent the three, so I will not stoop to foul" or maybe "there is no way I would give them one free throw and then the ol' purposefully miss bad enough to get the offensive rebound and then get the putback" trick.

I don't get it either.

My bracket took a major blow after that game i fell to 2nd

Here's Clark Kellogg's quote from New York Newsday. This was in the paper on TUESDAY of this week. And, now his alma mater doesn't listen. From the article:

=============================
Late in last year's final, Jim Nantz and Billy Packer barely mentioned Memphis' disastrous failure to foul to avoid Kansas' tying three-point try. Back in the studio, Kellogg hammered the Tigers.

Speaking about it last week, he still was incensed.

"I have got some major pet peeves and you'll hear me express them in an animated, strong fashion - and that's a huge one," he said. "Five seconds or under up three, you foul! You foul! I don't understand.

"All [coaches] tell me is what could go wrong. Well, what could go right?"
==============================

Basketball sure has some strange rules. I'm trying to think of any other sport where you can get a strategic advantage by fouling. I just don't think this should be the case.

My proposal? Give the fouled team the option to take the ball out-of-bounds instead of shooting FTs, or maybe in the case of two-shot fouls, shoot one and in-bounds the ball.

I'm trying to think of any other sport where you can get a strategic advantage by fouling. I just don't think this should be the case.
Then they shouldn't allow the intentional walk in baseball either?

Basketball sure has some strange rules. I'm trying to think of any other sport where you can get a strategic advantage by fouling. I just don't think this should be the case.

actually, 'fouling' to gain a strategic advantage happens quite often in sports...

1. bret bielema ordering kick-off coverage unit to intentionally be off-sides on a few melhaff kick-offs against joepa and penn state a few years ago...:D:D:D

2. ordering your own bb player to foul your opponent's worst foul shooter, while he's away from the ball and not involved in the play...

3. sending your hockey goon out to take a 'run' at the opposing goalie...and possibly injure him...
it might be 'worth' it, if you play that 'style' of hockey...:confused::confused:

4. did you see the first minute of today's ucla/villanova game...where collison was on the receiving end of a very hard foul on his way to a lay up...it was clearly an intentional 'hard' foul....and a message being sent...:cool02::cool02:

How many agree with me?

And you expected Thad Matta to think of this? Do you really think Thad could out coach someone? I would like to see that more often but you just the wrong coach to do it.

And you expected Thad Matta to think of this? Do you really think Thad could out coach someone? I would like to see that more often but you just the wrong coach to do it.

boilerboy,
then why did purdue go after matta so hard when keady announced he was stepping down?
guess you had to settle for plan b...painter:D:D:D

word is...with some pretty good 2011 talent developing in the state of indiana, matta will continue to mine that state for high school recruits, ya know...oden/conley type talent...painter will battle crean for matta's left-overs :D:D:D

I know I am in the minority probably, but I say don't foul, play D straight up. Why?

1. There really are a number of things that could go wrong.
2. I like the odds against a team trying to heave up a desperation three. The highlights usually show the makes, not all the misses.
3. Most important for me -- it just seems cheesey to foul in that circumstance.

What are you saying about your team if you have to foul with 5 seconds left just so the opposition can't get off a 3? MI didn't foul Westbrook and it seemed to work out okay for them.

boilerboy,
then why did purdue go after matta so hard when keady announced he was stepping down?
guess you had to settle for plan b...painter:D:D:D

word is...with some pretty good 2011 talent developing in the state of indiana, matta will continue to mine that state for high school recruits, ya know...oden/conley type talent...painter will battle crean for matta's left-overs :D:D:D

Sorry I missed this post earlier so here is my quick response.

First of all Painter was in place as a "head coach in waiting" during Keady's last year here. So I don't how they could have gone after Matta there. Your statement could easily be true being I only started following Purdue 2 years ago when I got on campus. But for a "B-Plan coach it has worked out pretty well for us :D.

Second I think Matta is a great recuiter but a below average game day coach on his best day.

And, yes, recently the state of Indiana has produced some great talent(in the 2007 recuiting class Eric Gordan-IU, Robbie Hummel-Purdue, Etwaun Moore-Purdue, JaJuan Johnson-Purdue, Scott Martin-Purdue then Notre Dame, Jeff Teague-Wake, Jake Kelly-Iowa, Matt Howard-Butler Gary McGhee-Pitt all went to "high major" or really good mid-major programs). So it's safe to say that IN puts out its fair share of talent.

As for battling for Matta leftovers. I don't totally agree with you. OSU and Matta look for a certain type of player, the one and done star, then fill in with local talent like Jon Diebler or Dallas Lauderdale. While Purdue looks to fill it's roster with 4 year type players who are from Indiana and are willing to work hard, then if the opporunity comes by to sign a one and done star we will do it. So I don't think that Painter is battling for Matta leftovers, I think they are looking for different things.

I also think that part of the reason I think Matta is such a bad gameday coach is because every year he has his top talent leave for the NBA thus having no chemistry from year to year. Personally I believe if you have 3 lottery picks-many would say at the most imporant position Conley at the 1 and Oden at the 5-and you still can't win a NC you can't coach a team on game day.

And yes the 2011 class in full of talent headed by Marquis Teague from Indy. He is rated as a top 10 player in the nation, also the younger brother of Wake Forest PG Jeff Teague(no relation to David Teague of Purdue a few years ago.) Word on the street right now is that he really like Louisville. But after that there is a huge amount of talent in the 3-4 year player mold that Purdue would love to have. Purdue also has a great advantage that its 2010 class is already full so Painter can focus on 2011.

You can argue for a foul or not, but one thing everyone can agree on is that PJ Hill should have played better D. You gotta get in the face of the shooter there. PJ was trying to stay in front of the guy so he wouldn't drive past him...let him drive past! It's a three point game!

Sorry I missed this post earlier so here is my quick response.

...I think Matta is a great recuiter but a below average game day coach on his best day.

I also think that part of the reason I think Matta is such a bad gameday coach is because every year he has his top talent leave for the NBA thus having no chemistry from year to year
.QUOTE]

boilerboy,

you lost me on your 'logic':eek::eek::eek:....but...whatever...:D:D:D

Any one who says Matta isn't a great recuiter they are crazy.

But part of Matta's problem is that all of his top talent is gone after a year. Thus leading to no chemistry from year to year. I believe this is a factor on why he comes off a such a horrible game day coach. Let me put it this way: If Matta's top talent was in Columbus for a few years it would allow the team to have so chemistry it does not have now. The chemistry will allow the team to work together better(5 working as 1 instead of 5 players working to beat there kid 1-on-1) he would come off as a better coach because the team would work better as a team on the floor.

Top Bottom