Latest news from UVa

HooJC

Reaction score
http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...e/tubby_is_the_right_pick_for_virginia/37577/

Tubby is the right pick for Virginia
Advertisement

Text size: small | medium | large

By Jerry Ratcliffe

Published: March 21, 2009

GREENSBORO, N.C.

Tubby Smith, men’s basketball coach at the University of Minnesota, is a wanted man.

Not by the law, mind you, but by two major universities 900 miles apart. Minnesota has him and wants to keep him. The University of Virginia wants him to revive its downtrodden basketball program.

While issuing the standard “I’m happy, I have a good job, I’m not looking at anything else” statement when the matter was bridged during Wednesday’s NCAA tournament interview session, Tubby said that while it’s important to be wanted, it’s more important to be needed.

No one needs him more than Virginia, where basketball, by outgoing coach Dave Leitao’s assessment, has been “irrelevant” on the college hoops landscape for the past 10 years.

From everything I can gather in talking to my network of sources, Tubby Smith is THE MAN. He’s the main target of UVa’s coaching search.

High praise

While talking to some of the sharpest minds involved in college basketball the past few days at the Greensboro Regional, all agree that if Virginia can land Tubby Smith, it would be insane to look anywhere else.

Texas coach Rick Barnes, whose Longhorns eliminated Smith’s Minnesota team on Thursday night, was his most vocal supporter.

“Anybody would be crazy not to go after Tubby Smith,” said Barnes. “You go back and see what he’s done everywhere he’s been, whether it’s Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky or Minnesota. As long as I’ve been in this business I don’t know if there’s a guy that’s more liked, more well-respected than Tubby. The fact is he’s always done it right. He’s always won and he always will.”

About then, some of Barnes’ colleagues pitched in that they thought anybody would be crazy not to go after him as the next coach.

Barnes answered back, “Well, I was coach at Virginia for one day.”

That’s another column.

In good company

There was no question that Barnes considered Tubby at the same coaching level as Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, Jim Calhoun, and other Hall of Famers around the country.

“I think of Mike [Krzyzewski] and Tubby the same way,” Barnes said. “What makes them great is they truly understand their personnel. They put their personnel in the best possible position. They’re not afraid to change things from start to finish.”

Ever since last Monday, when we were the first to project that Smith was the frontrunner for the Virginia vacancy, there has been all sorts of speculation.

Want my opinion? The more digging I do, the more I’m convinced that Tubby will be Virginia’s next basketball coach.

Forget that gobbledygook about UVa going out and hiring a search firm to assist in the process. Standard operating procedure. Nothing new, not even in Charlottesville.

Virginia hired such a firm last time, and see where it got them.

Director of athletics Craig Littlepage needs to trust his gut and stay the course. Virginia could have had Tubby four years ago but politics crossed things up. This time, the Cavaliers can’t afford to screw things up.

Certainly there is an allure to Virginia. Tubby’s family is from Maryland. His wife Donna’s family is from the Richmond area. There’s roots all over. He coached at VCU. He played at High Point, not far from the Greensboro Coliseum where his team ended its season two days ago. He has been longtime friends with Littlepage.

He’d be coming home.

He would also be coaching in the ACC, the premiere coach’s league in the country, going eyeball-to-eyeball with Krzyzewski and the Williams boys, Roy and Gary, among other familiar faces.

Money?

Yeah, it’s a factor. But who’s got more money than Virginia? Look around, the Cavaliers have sugar daddies everywhere that are disgusted with the state of Wahoo basketball.

They didn’t build the nation’s best new arena to go 4-12.

Anyone who questions if Tubby is past his prime doesn’t know basketball. He’ll be 58 in June — which, by the way, is four years younger than Krzyzewski, and that guy isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.

This columnist spent most of the time Wednesday and Thursday observing Tubby Smith in action: the way he handled fans; the way he handled media; the way he handled his players during practice, during games, in the huddle during time outs; the way he handled himself.

I was even more impressed with Smith after studying him than before, and I was already impressed.

Yeah, there are some younger candidates, but not any BETTER candidates.

Littlepage and his staff are keenly aware of this and are on course. These sorts of things are always done behind the scenes, usually between agents and lawyers and athletic administrators and school presidents.

Don’t expect it to be an overnight process. It takes time to line up these kinds of deals.

But it’s the best deal Virginia could possibly make. Tubby Smith coming to Virginia would be the best thing that’s happened to Wahoo basketball since Ralph Sampson signed on the dotted line.

Why anyone thinks VA is a better job than here is beyond me. They have nothing to offer that we don't. Arrogance is the only answer

The other 10 threads about Tubby leaving for (insert team that needs a coach here) weren't good enough for this cut and paste?

Should have been titled "Latest Speculation from Virginia"; no news here, other than a sports columnist assuming that Tubby Smith can't possibly be happier in Minnesota than he would be in Virginia. We won't actually know if Tubby Smith remains the Gophers coach until the openings at Virginia, Georgia, Arizona, etc. are filled, but this column is pretty laughable. Not even a sentence is spent on speculating why Tubby may want to remain at Minnesota. But he has the possibility of going to the 'premiere coach's league' in the country. . .I will give you Coach K and Roy Boy, but what do you have after that? Gary Williams, who since Maryland won the title hasn't been able to capitalize on that momentum and seems mired in mediocrity? Dino Gaudio at Wake? Paul Hewitt at Ga. Tech? Sid Lowe at NC State? Oliver Purnell who can't get his Clemson team past the round of 64? Leonard Hamilton at Fla State? Whoever's coaching down at Miami? This is your premiere coach's league? My goodness, the arrogance of the folks that spend all their time around ACC basketball.

I agree. The speculation is basically based on the fact that they are going to come after him. Fine. But that doesn't mean he's going to accept. They can't seem to fathom a Big Ten coach, who they assume liven in a igloo and snow-shoes out to get his mail could possibly turn down thier offer.

Groundbreaking work here, hot off the presses: Tubby Smith is a great coach.

Yes, we know that. He won't go anywhere. If he does Flip will be hired in .4 seconds.

What exactly is the "news" about this opinion article as announced in your subject line?

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...e/tubby_is_the_right_pick_for_virginia/37577/

Tubby is the right pick for Virginia
Advertisement

Text size: small | medium | large

By Jerry Ratcliffe

Published: March 21, 2009

GREENSBORO, N.C.

Tubby Smith, men’s basketball coach at the University of Minnesota, is a wanted man.

Not by the law, mind you, but by two major universities 900 miles apart. Minnesota has him and wants to keep him. The University of Virginia wants him to revive its downtrodden basketball program.

While issuing the standard “I’m happy, I have a good job, I’m not looking at anything else” statement when the matter was bridged during Wednesday’s NCAA tournament interview session, Tubby said that while it’s important to be wanted, it’s more important to be needed.

No one needs him more than Virginia, where basketball, by outgoing coach Dave Leitao’s assessment, has been “irrelevant” on the college hoops landscape for the past 10 years.

From everything I can gather in talking to my network of sources, Tubby Smith is THE MAN. He’s the main target of UVa’s coaching search.

High praise

While talking to some of the sharpest minds involved in college basketball the past few days at the Greensboro Regional, all agree that if Virginia can land Tubby Smith, it would be insane to look anywhere else.

Texas coach Rick Barnes, whose Longhorns eliminated Smith’s Minnesota team on Thursday night, was his most vocal supporter.

“Anybody would be crazy not to go after Tubby Smith,” said Barnes. “You go back and see what he’s done everywhere he’s been, whether it’s Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky or Minnesota. As long as I’ve been in this business I don’t know if there’s a guy that’s more liked, more well-respected than Tubby. The fact is he’s always done it right. He’s always won and he always will.”

About then, some of Barnes’ colleagues pitched in that they thought anybody would be crazy not to go after him as the next coach.

Barnes answered back, “Well, I was coach at Virginia for one day.”

That’s another column.

In good company

There was no question that Barnes considered Tubby at the same coaching level as Mike Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim, Jim Calhoun, and other Hall of Famers around the country.

“I think of Mike [Krzyzewski] and Tubby the same way,” Barnes said. “What makes them great is they truly understand their personnel. They put their personnel in the best possible position. They’re not afraid to change things from start to finish.”

Ever since last Monday, when we were the first to project that Smith was the frontrunner for the Virginia vacancy, there has been all sorts of speculation.

Want my opinion? The more digging I do, the more I’m convinced that Tubby will be Virginia’s next basketball coach.

Forget that gobbledygook about UVa going out and hiring a search firm to assist in the process. Standard operating procedure. Nothing new, not even in Charlottesville.

Virginia hired such a firm last time, and see where it got them.

Director of athletics Craig Littlepage needs to trust his gut and stay the course. Virginia could have had Tubby four years ago but politics crossed things up. This time, the Cavaliers can’t afford to screw things up.

Certainly there is an allure to Virginia. Tubby’s family is from Maryland. His wife Donna’s family is from the Richmond area. There’s roots all over. He coached at VCU. He played at High Point, not far from the Greensboro Coliseum where his team ended its season two days ago. He has been longtime friends with Littlepage.

He’d be coming home.

He would also be coaching in the ACC, the premiere coach’s league in the country, going eyeball-to-eyeball with Krzyzewski and the Williams boys, Roy and Gary, among other familiar faces.

Money?

Yeah, it’s a factor. But who’s got more money than Virginia? Look around, the Cavaliers have sugar daddies everywhere that are disgusted with the state of Wahoo basketball.

They didn’t build the nation’s best new arena to go 4-12.

Anyone who questions if Tubby is past his prime doesn’t know basketball. He’ll be 58 in June — which, by the way, is four years younger than Krzyzewski, and that guy isn’t showing any signs of slowing down.

This columnist spent most of the time Wednesday and Thursday observing Tubby Smith in action: the way he handled fans; the way he handled media; the way he handled his players during practice, during games, in the huddle during time outs; the way he handled himself.

I was even more impressed with Smith after studying him than before, and I was already impressed.

Yeah, there are some younger candidates, but not any BETTER candidates.

Littlepage and his staff are keenly aware of this and are on course. These sorts of things are always done behind the scenes, usually between agents and lawyers and athletic administrators and school presidents.

Don’t expect it to be an overnight process. It takes time to line up these kinds of deals.

But it’s the best deal Virginia could possibly make. Tubby Smith coming to Virginia would be the best thing that’s happened to Wahoo basketball since Ralph Sampson signed on the dotted line.

Typo in your subject line. Latest newsPAPER BLATHERING?

Typo in your subject line. Latest newsPAPER BLATHERING?
FoT, I enjoy you posting.

However, one beef: you don't need to quote the entire post/article when you are adding a response. We know what the article/post stated, it just takes that much more time to scroll through the post.

I'd really appreciate if you could truncate the posts you are quoting. Thanks!

I can't be sure, of course, but I believe this particular writer is the Sid Hartman of Charlottesville. Just a guy giving lots of opinions on things.

Further, there's only one substantiated piece of information here...that Tubby is their top priority. There's no real surprise there, as we've heard the same thing in Athens, Tuscon, and a number of different places.

But there is nothing in the remainder of the article pertaining to what Tubby thinks about this. No sources that are saying he'd listen...no sources that say he'd love to up and move...no sources that say he has been contacted. Nothing. It's all nothing more than conjecture and circumstantial evidence.

Until I see anything substantiated that says Tubby would be interested in any of these jobs, I'm not at all concerned.

Oh, and by the way...don't forget that the rumor mill had us originally hiring Terry Holland when Clem got dumped...how did that turn out? Yeah...let's wait for something worth worrying about before we worry about it.

Why anyone thinks VA is a better job than here is beyond me. They have nothing to offer that we don't. Arrogance is the only answer

Well, they are a great school academically, they play in a beautiful new arena, and they were a perennial Top 10-15 program in the not too distant past. They could be that again easily with the right coach.

Well, they are a great school academically, they play in a beautiful new arena, and they were a perennial Top 10-15 program in the not too distant past. They could be that again easily with the right coach.

Perennial Top 10-15 program? Maybe when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

UVa has rarely been a topnotch basketball program.

Minnesota is also a great school academically, they play in one of the oldest, tradition rich arena's in America, are on the rise and will be a top 10 program with Tubby in the not so distant future. Tubby has no pressure to win championships here, and is loved by the whole state, plus he's only been here for 2 years, why leave in the middle of a rebuilding project to start another?

Your first two points are valid. But UVA has not been a top 15 program with any consistancy since Ralph Samspon II graduated. And that's the only period they were at that level. The truth is because it's a great academic school, it's very hard to get a lot of the top recruits into school.

And the arena may be beautiful, but it's not a large city, and whenever the team is anything less then great, they won't fill it. To be there's nothing uglier then a beautiful arena that's 1/3 empty. I was at John Paul Jones Arena for 3 games this year. North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Miami. Miami is no draw, but it was literally half empty. But you would expect them to be able to sell out against the #1 team in the land and Tyler Hansboro, right? Nope, even with 3,000 Carolina Blue in the building. OK, but surely they would sell out against thier most bitter rival, Virginia Tech? I mean the Gophers would never fail to sell out a Wisconsin game. Nope, there were a couple thousand empty seats in the 'great' new arena.

Wilbon's take on the UVA job in the Wash. Post (he endorses Grant):

The Virginia job isn't easy. Dave Leitao's work at DePaul proved he can be a good coach, but winning in Charlottesville is a different sort of challenge, when you're competing at a disadvantage with North Carolina and Duke and often Maryland and Wake Forest. Then, there are Virginia's demanding academic requirements and all of the eccentricities that Wahoos think are charming but which can be annoying and restrictive when it comes to recruiting and coaching basketball. (I've earned the right to say this, being married to a very active Virginia alum.)

FoT, I enjoy you posting.

However, one beef: you don't need to quote the entire post/article when you are adding a response. We know what the article/post stated, it just takes that much more time to scroll through the post.

I'd really appreciate if you could truncate the posts you are quoting. Thanks!

seriously, who is this guy?!?! quick, everybody run it is the message board protocol police. lay off the guy! he already provides a ton of great insight and analysis and of all things you are ragging on him about how he quotes previous posts on the board?!

just saying.......

About the only consensions I will make on all this Tubby is going to (fill in the blank) is that 1. Virgina or Maryland, with Tubby's wife's family near, would make some sense.

and 2. Given the recruiting classes Tubby has coming and from the depths he has brought this team out of, his departure would have some very devastating effects, and about the only way to stop the blood flow from the wound would be to announce Flip as coach 2 seconds after Tubby would announce his departure. That might actually help keep the current recruits coming.

That said, since Tubby seems very happy, appreciated and has every reason to be optimistic for the teams future under his leadership, from a BB standpoint his leaving does not make sense.

If he could take this young team still missing a componant or two to the dance, with the better players coming in, there is every reason to believe that next year may be the sweet 16 and in 2 years the final four.

The only thing, in my opinion, that may cause Tubby to go elsewhere is on the issue of happiness, believing his family would be happier in Virginia closer to relatives.

Article says nothing other than in this sports writer's eyes, Tubby would fit in at Virginia. He adds nothing to the conversation that we don't already know. Everything he mentioned has been bandied about for several days prior to his writing it in a column.

In short, he's added nothing to the conversation. Tubby will make up his own mind. And if he decides against heading to Virginia, we'll have a whole new conversation on this same topic later on when Arizona (or any other job comes calling).....

I don't want to lose Tubby but if it's going to happen, better that it happen now so we can move on quickly which should be pretty easy as our next coach attends most games, alot of practices, has a son on the staff, knows all the players, and views the job as his last coaching stop. either way I think we will come out just fine. If Tubby turns down Virginia and other schools this spring, he will be at Minnesota and we can stop worrying about it, if he does leave, we have a great coach in waiting who really wants the job and who knows the team and program.

I don't know if anybody really knows what Tubby is thinking about all this right now. Nobody in Minnesota really knows him well enough to get a good read on it and I haven't heard anything publically from his long time Kentucky buddies. So far all anybody is saying is the standard answers. I have no idea what he will do and I don't know anybody who does and I doubt the people speculating in virginia have any more clue than we do.

I am not really worried about the situation. If Tubby leaves Minnesota to move closer to home, it says to me he's ready for his retirement job. If Tubby wants to compete for another National Title, he's got a much better chance at Minnesota than he does starting another rebuilding job at Virginia in a conference that already features UNC and Duke.

Tubby's done a very nice job at Minnesota, and I think he's still got the desire to compete for National Titles, so I don't think he goes anywhere.

Perennial Top 10-15 program? Maybe when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

UVa has rarely been a topnotch basketball program.

Well, it has been 20 years, but they were a power even after Sampson graduated. It's a very fertile recruiting area. A guy like Tubby could bring them back quickly.

Love the obligatory "we broke the news first" line re: that UVA would go after Tubby.

Well, it has been 20 years, but they were a power even after Sampson graduated. It's a very fertile recruiting area. A guy like Tubby could bring them back quickly.

As fertile as being the only D-1A school in a 4+ million person state that consistently produces top-150 recruits? You're right, the density of high prospects out there is higher, but so is the number of schools after those guys. Minnesota/ND/SD and beyond are easy pickings for Tubby compared to the competition he'd face at UVa. In his own state resides at least one school that has a better basketball program, arguably several. A nice arena does not a whole program make.

Top Bottom