first post.

JDGopher

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster here, but fairly long time observer of the board.

Two years ago, Monson's last year, I attended the game where Iowa was the visitor. I loved the Barn immediately, but the team was a different story. In fact, by the end of the first half I felt like I had seen enough futility on behalf of our over-matched Gophers, but stayed until the end. Now, even though our team is sometimes frustrating (as is discussed here often), I am amazed at our progress. If you had told me at this time two years ago that we would have Tubby, two straight top 25 recruiting classes, and have just been in the NCAA tournament, I would have laughed in your face. But that is what we're looking at, and I love it.

That being said, I have one question. I hope this does not make me seem a pessimist, but is there anyone else who gets very frustrated with Westbrook? I admire his heart and realize that on this team, he was our best option for creating offense (maybe our only option, aside from brief flashes by others), but there are many times where I find myself wishing he would take a smaller role. It seems that he knows he is our only guy late in the shot clock or game, and he tries to do too much. I often feel like there are three or four times a game where he tries to split two defenders and loses it on the floor, or something like that. As much as I hate to say it, I almost expect something like that to happen when I know he is about to try to take over.

Regardless of that, I realize he is an important part of our team, and hopefully another year of growth by everyone will result in him having to forces things less. I look forward to great things from this team, particularly in 2011.

Sorry so long.

Welcome JD.....

anyone with Gopher in his name is all right by me.

Westsbrook is a short shooting guard. (although Clark Kellogg said he was 5-9! last night) He is what he is. My only problem with it, is his open floor game. He finshes well at the rim, but does not hit the open man, and all too often commits an unforced turnover with his sloppy ball handling.

That being said......he wants to take the big shot, and I don't know if we have anyone else who does. (Well Bostick does, but you have to be able to hit the rim to qualify.)

JK Devron.

Hey all, first time poster here, but fairly long time observer of the board.

Two years ago, Monson's last year, I attended the game where Iowa was the visitor. I loved the Barn immediately, but the team was a different story. In fact, by the end of the first half I felt like I had seen enough futility on behalf of our over-matched Gophers, but stayed until the end. Now, even though our team is sometimes frustrating (as is discussed here often), I am amazed at our progress. If you had told me at this time two years ago that we would have Tubby, two straight top 25 recruiting classes, and have just been in the NCAA tournament, I would have laughed in your face. But that is what we're looking at, and I love it.

That being said, I have one question. I hope this does not make me seem a pessimist, but is there anyone else who gets very frustrated with Westbrook? I admire his heart and realize that on this team, he was our best option for creating offense (maybe our only option, aside from brief flashes by others), but there are many times where I find myself wishing he would take a smaller role. It seems that he knows he is our only guy late in the shot clock or game, and he tries to do too much. I often feel like there are three or four times a game where he tries to split two defenders and loses it on the floor, or something like that. As much as I hate to say it, I almost expect something like that to happen when I know he is about to try to take over.

Regardless of that, I realize he is an important part of our team, and hopefully another year of growth by everyone will result in him having to forces things less. I look forward to great things from this team, particularly in 2011.

Sorry so long.

Couldn't agree more!

one thing you know about westbrook - if he has the ball on the fast break, he ain't giving it up

one thing you know about westbrook - if he has the ball on the fast break, he ain't giving it up
Another thing you know about Westbrook, unless he's triple-teamed, he ain't giving it up either.

and one other Westbrook thing

Another thing you know about Westbrook, unless he's triple-teamed, he ain't giving it up either.

Despite his flaws it is nice to have someone on the floor at the end of the game that shoot 84% from the free throw line.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Woodside 84%..........

foul shooter. Aldrich 80%.

For all the words of tounge and pen, the saddest of these, "what might have been."

if only...

foul shooter. Aldrich 80%.

For all the words of tounge and pen, the saddest of these, "what might have been."

YUP. In a heartbeat !!! Have to wonder if Cole would have come here if Tubby had been here then.

Every team has misses and we had no shot at Cole with Monson here. I don't really care about Woodside since every other D1 team passed on him at the time. There are always guys who develop into stars but its impossible to predict. Sure you have guys swearing they knew Woodside would be a great player but there are guys swearing every player like him coming out of HS will be a great player. Being right 1 out of 10 isn't a percentage you take when you're a B10 team.

Top Bottom