Why Can't We Defend The Three?

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
I didn't know if this was perception or reality but based on the season data, it looks like we really don't defend the 3 very well. The percentage made against us is at the bottom of the big ten and the number taken is middle of the pack. Are we just slow, does Tubby push players to double down too much when the ball goes to the post, combination of the two or some other reason? As much as I hate Wisky, they get it done when it comes to this stat. Michigan state is also interesting, I suspect the relatively high attempts number against MS is because their great defense leads to teams putting up bad/rushed shots.

3-POINT FIELD GOAL PCT DEFENSE
## Team G FG FGA Pct
---------------------------------------------
1.Illinois............ 18 93 311 .299
2.Michigan State...... 18 111 371 .299
3.Wisconsin........... 18 78 258 .302
4.Michigan............ 18 106 320 .331
5.Purdue.............. 18 95 282 .337
6.Penn State.......... 18 118 346 .341
7.Iowa................ 18 123 340 .362
8.Northwestern........ 18 139 379 .367
9.Minnesota........... 18 129 351 .368
10.Ohio State.......... 18 158 411 .384
11.Indiana............. 18 134 328 .409

It's a vulnerability in Tubby's system. The only remedy is to recruit more long, athletic, quick defenders who can race back to the 3 pt. shooter. But this is Tubby's system. We limit high percentage shots and take gambles on low percentage shots (3 pointers), but if a team or a player gets hot, it can kill us.

He had the same issue at UK really, but not the degree here in Minnesota because at UK he had much better defenders, like Tayshaun Prince.

Unless Tubby changes his whole system, which I don't think he'll do, the only way to limit this vulnerability is to recruit studs like Royce, Rodney, etc.

I love our guards, but they are woeful on guarding the 3. Blake, Devoe, Lawrence, and Al are just not up to the task as far as that is concerned.

You gotta admit that TX was more then a little hot on the threes last night.

its called ball line defense...here is just one take on it i found from googling it...

"...let's take a basic look at Tubby Smith's famous ball-line defense. The ball-line defense has been much maligned around here recently, perhaps somewhat unfairly so.
Ball line defense with the ball in the low post.

The ball-line defense is designed to prevent easier, close-in shots and force more difficult outside shots, preferably contested ones. Back in 2003-2004, the SuffoCats demonstrated just how effective the ball-line can can be when it is run with commitment. It also takes time to learn -- Chuck Hayes famously said that it took him a year just to learn the defense.

The ball-line suffers from a couple of weaknesses, especially when the defenders aren't committed to it's principles or don't understand them well. The weakness that used to endlessly irritate Kentucky fans was the propensity for the ball-line to surrender open looks at 3-pointers. Why does this happen? A look at the illustration will tell you.

The ball-line requires defenders on the weak side to sink to the level of the basketball, and to the mid-line of the court, while keeping an eye on the ball. You can see from the illustration that the 3 is completely open, with his defender in proper position. A skip pass from the 4 will get an open look, especially if the 3 moves a bit toward the corner.

The real fault here is allowing easy post entries, which force defenders into help-side defense, not the defense itself. By allowing an easy post entry, you force defensive reaction and this sort of problem."

Top Bottom