Payton Gone?

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything else on this? Sid's quote could be read as speculation or as fact. I guess this would fix some of the scholarship concerns for next year.

From Sid:

One reason Monson failed at Minnesota was his poor 2005 recruiting class. That class is scheduled to graduate this year with only two players remaining in the program: Damian Johnson and Kevin Payton. Payton, who has one year of eligibility remaining, will not return next year. As for the other two recruits in that class -- James Davis never became eligible and Brandon Smith stayed one year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/41540717.html?page=3&c=y

That's been speculated on for a while.

I find Sid's choice of works kind of funny here. It could better be said that "one of the reasons Monson failed was nearly all of his recruiting classes"

2002: Stan Gaines, Aliou Kane - both never made it

2003: Adam Boone - average player at best, Kris Humphries, one and done, Kerry Woolridge, never made it, Wesley Washington, never qualified.

2004: This was the one good class he had, with Coleman, Spencer, Grier and Stamper. However, it also included Miles Webb (whatever happened to him?) and Rico Tucer.

2006: Engen Nrumbi (WTF?), Bryce Webster, transferred, Limar Wilson (Who?), and Westbrook.

Earlier busts: Kris Collins, O'Neal Mims, Aaron Robinson

Aaron Robinson was a bust?

A-Rob progressed very well and was the starting pg on the NCAA team that was never supposed to sniff the tournament.

I would hardly call him a "bust."

That's been speculated on for a while.

I find Sid's choice of works kind of funny here. It could better be said that "one of the reasons Monson failed was nearly all of his recruiting classes"

2002: Stan Gaines, Aliou Kane - both never made it

2003: Adam Boone - average player at best, Kris Humphries, one and done, Kerry Woolridge, never made it, Wesley Washington, never qualified.

2004: This was the one good class he had, with Coleman, Spencer, Grier and Stamper. However, it also included Miles Webb (whatever happened to him?) and Rico Tucer.

2006: Engen Nrumbi (WTF?), Bryce Webster, transferred, Limar Wilson (Who?), and Westbrook.

Earlier busts: Kris Collins, O'Neal Mims, Aaron Robinson

Robinson a bust? He contributed more than Bostick this season, by far. And, IIRC, he earned his degree. He sure did shoot 3's better than Bostick, at least thus far in his career.

Lest we not forget the praise heaped upon Rico Tucker from leaders on the hole.

I always felt one of Monson's biggest mistakes was not redshirting ARob. He played almost no minutes as a a freshman and yet was a solid point guard as a senior. If he had redshirted, he would have changed Grier's diappointing senior year and allowed Boone to play at the 2 more.

I think Monson viewed him as a stop-gap recruit that would be taking up space for better players by his senior year. Of course he never recruited well enough for this to pan out.

ARob was a better point than anyone on this year's team and a better 3 point shooter than anyone on this year's team. We would have been much better with ARob running the point than Nolen/ Joseph.

Wow this thread has gone off topic quickly. And here I go contributing to the tangent:

NAME GM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
Aaron Robinson 32 32.6 8.4 2.6 2.9 2.3 1.3/1 1.7 0.1 2.1 .409 .789 .397 1.29

These are A-Rob's stats from his senior year ('04-05).

Here's Nolen's stats from this year (soph year):

NAME GM MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
Al Nolen 33 26.5 6.5 3.2 4.3 1.7 2.5/1 1.9 0.2 2.5 .337 .731 .294 1.14

You can have your A-Rob. I'll take Nolen. He's already putting up better numbers as a soph while playing less minutes. Those loving A-Rob on this board think times were better in the past than they actually were. A-Rob wouldn't even be offered a schollie on this Gopher team.

A-Rob started out of necessity. He over-achieved and became a crowd favorite. By his senior season he was a contributor, but only because he was the best point we had.

Yeah, Payton is transferring to NDSU for his final year of eligibility

What About Nuness?

Isn't Jordan Nuness a walkon redshirt available for next season?

I don't understand...

the fasicination with knowing what Payton is doing next year. If Tubby and he agree he's has a role, he'll be here, if not he won't. He's had 4 years on scholarship.

So - From what I understand on this board, Sid was just speculating. No one knows if Payton has left or not?

Aaron Robinson was a bust?

A-Rob progressed very well and was the starting pg on the NCAA team that was never supposed to sniff the tournament.

I would hardly call him a "bust."

Robinson had a nice year in 2005, playing great defense, averaging 8.4 a game and shooting about 40% from 3. However in his three years prior to that he was a complete non-factor, I don't think he even averaged 3 ppg in any of his first three seasons. Any player who does nothing for 3 years and then becomes average in his final year is a bust in my mind.

Robinson had a nice year in 2005, playing great defense, averaging 8.4 a game and shooting about 40% from 3. However in his three years prior to that he was a complete non-factor, I don't think he even averaged 3 ppg in any of his first three seasons. Any player who does nothing for 3 years and then becomes average in his final year is a bust in my mind.

I have to point out one thing about ARob. He was a poor shooter who became a pretty good shooter. In my experience that is an exception to the rule. Usually if they don't have an instinct for the bucket that is the end of it. If they can't shoot, they don't often get any better.

When you add up our basketball and football recruiting failures over the years, it begins to look pretty awful. All combined, we have to have the worst retention rate in the Big Ten. And that's not good.

>>Any player who does nothing for 3 years and then becomes average in his final year is a bust in my mind.<<

So what's that make Payton?

Agree largely with those who like Aaron Robinson. He was streaky, but he played hard and often well.

Wow, the Wesley Washington situation was 6 years ago!! Good grief time flies.

FoT,

I sincerely hope Payton has performed better in his major (youth studies?!!) than he has on the court. What has the program wasted on him so far? About $75,000?

FoT,

I sincerely hope Payton has performed better in his major (youth studies?!!) than he has on the court. What has the program wasted on him so far? About $75,000?

i shouldn't dignify this post with a response...but gopher4life, i wish you would find something else to do with your spare time...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

btw, friend of tubby, excellent response above:clap::clap::clap:

The first sign of Monson and his problems with talent evaluation was when I saw his first recruiting class and saw for the first time his prized big man recruit play. His name.........Ryan Wildenborg.

The first sign of Monson and his problems with talent evaluation was when I saw his first recruiting class and saw for the first time his prized big man recruit play. His name.........Ryan Wildenborg.

Monson had his faults, but Wildenborg was a Haskins recruit.

FoT and dinky,

"Waste" was a poor choice of words on my part, but sometimes people on this board don't understand if they aren't hit right between the eyes.

Payton should have moved on after his second season at the latest...for everyone's benefit including his own. Of course, that's assuming he ever had any interest in playing time. A walk-on clearly could have performed Payton's role on the team. The program is not obligated to give a player an expensive free ride until graduation.

Top Bottom