Gopher Rebound against DBU

gophermartin

Reaction score
12-3 is a nice start to the end of a challenging week.

GM

That was a very good win, hopefully we can squeak out a few more, 5-3 on an 8 day road trip would be a huge success.

From Gophersports

Golden Gopher senior starter Chauncy Handran struck out a career-high eight batters, as he tied a career-high with seven innings, gave up four hits, three runs and walked two on his way to the victory. Handran moved to 3-1 with the win. Luke Rasmussen (Northfield, Minn.) and Scott Matyas each tossed one shutout inning of relief.

Offensively, the Golden Gophers were led by redshirt freshman shortstop AJ Pettersen who reached base five times, and was 2-for-2 with a career-high four runs and an RBI. Sophomore Michael Kvasnicka went 4-for-5 with an RBI. With the four hits, Kvasnicka moved his hiting streak to 22 games dating back to 2008 matching Sam Steidl and Matt Nohelty (Rothschild, Wis.) for the longest hitting streaks by a Golden Gopher since 1998.

Derek McCallum was 2-for-4 with three RBI and a run, while freshman Justin Gominsky was 1-for-4 with three RBI, two runs and a double. In his first two career games, Gominsky has knocked in five runs.

Kyle Knudson also reached base three times, and was 2-for-4 with an RBI, while Nohelty reached base twice, and was 1-for-3 with with two runs and an RBI. Sam Ryan also knocked in his first career run, and was 1-for-1 with a run, an RBI and a double.

For a second straight night, the Minnesota baseball team (12-6) scored double-figure runs as it defeated Dallas Baptist (12-5) 15-3 at Patriot Field on Friday, Mar. 20. With the win the Golden Gophers moved to 4-3 overall on their Texas trip.

Minnesota's 15 runs on the night also gave it 27 for the series against the Patriots.

The Golden Gophers were led offensively by Michael Kvasnicka (Lakeville, Minn.) who was 2-for-3 with a run and a career-high four RBI. With the two hits, Kvasnicka extended his hitting streak to 23 games dating back to 2008. It was also his fourth straight multi-hit game. Sophomore Kyle Knudson (Maple Grove, Minn.) also went 3-for-5 with two doubles, three RBI and a run, while junior Derek McCallum (Shoreview, Minn.) reached base three times and was 2-for-3 with two runs and two RBI.

On the night, Minnesota's 3-4-5 hitters (McCallum, Kvasnicka, Knudson) were 7-for-11 with nine RBI. For the series, the trio is 15-for-24 with 14 RBI.

AJ Pettersen was also 3-for-4 with a run and two RBI, and has now reached base in nine of his 10 plate appearances in the series. Nick O'Shea (Blaine, Minn.) was also 3-for-6 with a home run, a double, two runs and two RBI.

Matt Nohelty (Rothschild, Wis.) reached base three times, and was 2-for-4 with two runs, while Eric Decker (Cold Spring, Minn.) was 2-for-4 with a double, two runs and an RBI.

On the night, seven Golden Gophers had multi-hit games, every starter scored a run and nine different players collected a hit.

Senior Tom Buske (Apple Valley, Minn.) picked up the win to move to 4-0, as he went five innings, gave up four hits, three runs, walked one and struck out four. Freshman Austin Lubinsky (LaCrosse, Wis.) pitched a career-high four shutout innings, gave up one hit and struck out four to collect his first career save.

Nicely done!

Looks like a successful trip thus far.

Nice to see the bats help out the pitching staff.

GM

Pitching

I'm confident with the Gophers top three starters. I think we'll get plenty of wins in the Big Ten. It's the mid week starters that I'm concerned about. Maybe Anderson should give the freshmen (Lubinsky?) a start for the mid week games. He leads the team in ERA and might continue to suprise us.

If Anderson can covince his players not the leave school early, then next years team will definetly be a top 25 team.

Just caught the last out of the game, sounds like they had a nice comeback today. This team is looking solid, going 5-3 on this road trip is very impressive. 8 games in 8 days is a tough stretch. Great week, I am excited to see what they will do in Big Ten play.

You are right, a very impressive road trip. Yes 5-3 in eight days all on the road is awesome, but then you throw in who they were playing and it adds alot to the meaning of what they just did. These 3 Texas teams compete with Big 12 teams all season long and more than hold their own. These teams are better than most Big 10 teams. 38 runs against DB is impressive. On to the Big 10 season and their 3 game series......finally.

This years schedule put together by 14 is another reason why he is such a good coach. He also puts together a great non conference schedule because they play challenging teams, but winable games. Hawaii,TCU,UCSB, DBU, UT-A, thats a great schedule against good, but not great teams. Their non-conference schedule is year in and year out the most challenging among big ten teams (and thats even more impressive given the fact that their mid-week games have to be filled up with teams such as NDSU and SDSU, because their is no one to play around here), yet they generally have a pretty decent record to show for it and they are much more prepared for the Big 10 season. 14/Rob/T.O. have done such a great job turning this group into winners after the tough season last year.

NC

13-6 is a lot better record then I expected from the Gophers this year. This year we will compete for the Big Ten title. Next year we will dominate the Big Ten.

It was nice to see today that the gophers are still in the Top 25. After looking through the non-conference schedules of the other teams in the Big 10 (well only Ohio State, Michigan and Illinois) the Gophers and Illinios put together really impressive non-conference games. Michigan has a great record, but all against terrible teams (minus Arizona, but they got swept). Ohio State had a terribly easy non-conference schedule. Illinois schedule was pretty easy, with the exception of LSU, which they took 2 of 3, so I cannot fault them for that. This year's Big 10 will be interesting race. I can see all 4 of those teams competing, and it will be much better race this year because of the 3 game schedules, no more splits, which is what every team out side of the big 3 (Minnesota, Ohio State, Michigan) ever really try and shoot for. It will be nice to have a winner and a loser each weekend, instead of those stupid series splits. I am excited about the Gophers chances this year. It was tough to watch the Gophers last year and as usual the coaching staff turned the season around yet again. If they continue to play this well all year, 14 really has to be one of the leading candidates for Coach of the Year, both in the Big 10 and Nationally.

The Gophers have a shot to win the Big Ten, BUT if.....

Anderson can keep the young guys from going pro, next year we will definetly be a top 20 team with a legit shot of going to the College World Series. Just like the football and basketball teams, this year, it won't be until the next school year that we reach our full potential.

I do like the way our hitting and pitching seem to be picking up steam.

Realistically the Gophers are not going to lose much to the draft. Nohelty will be gone, and that will hurt, but he is a senior. Decker will probably not be playing, he will either be drafted high enough to leave, or will be getting ready for the NFL draft and will not play baseball. McCallum will get drafted, but I do not think high enough for him to seriously consider leaving. The only other position player that sees the field much that is eligible to get drafted in Knudson and I believe that if he does get drafted, it will not be very early and he will for sure be back. In baseball you cannot get drafted until after your junior year, so the rest of the squad will be intact.

In terms of pitchers you are looking at the same scenario. Our two senior Starters Buske and Handran are gone regardless. The rest of the pitcher are to young to get drafted. I believe that Sexton is a draft eligible sophomore, and he may get some looks, but again, will not be drafted high enough to pass up two years of eligibility (although he would have some leverage)

Our teams is playing great right now, butin terms of pro prospects we do not have a bunch of high end guys, just a lot of good college baseball players.

If you ask me McCallum has a great shot of going high in the draft and will likely be gone

Matyas and Sexton are also draft elgible out of the pen but will likely stay, as will Knudson

I was just wondering how losing Buske, Handran, Decker, and Nohelty is not going to hurt. The gophers will definitely good in the future but the CWS talk is a little much for a team losing its two best pitchers.

They are deff. going to lose some talent, I was just saying that they are not going to lose much to the draft. They are veryyoung this year, but will be losing some of their most important guys, so I agree that the CWS is a long shot. Mccallum will get drafted no doubt, but I just do not think that he will be drafted high enough to leave. He is kind of a dime a dozen in terms of pro prospects, he has no real tools that stick out, and he plays 2nd base.

Top Bottom