Shama: Mo Walker: ‘I love it Here’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Mo Walker: ‘I love it Here’
December 17, 2012

About two years ago the Gophers lost a valuable player from Ontario when guard Devoe Joseph left the program during his junior season because he wasn’t happy, but Maurice Walker, also from Ontario, said not to be concerned he will leave Minnesota. Walker, a redshirt sophomore forward-center, told Sports Headliners that despite minimal playing time so far during his Minnesota career he’s committed to being a Gopher.

“Of course,” he said. “I’ll be here. I love it here.”

The 6-foot-10, 289-pound Walker is averaging 8.6 minutes per game, 11th lowest on the team. Only deep reserves Wally Ellenson, Kendal Shell and Chris Halvorsen are playing fewer minutes than Walker who has been used in 11 of 12 games this season.

But Walker is a potentially key part of the Gophers’ drive for an NCAA Tournament invitation. He’s the biggest body on the team and a player who has the skill set to relieve the Gophers’ primary inside players—Elliott Eliason, Trevor Mbakwe and Rodney Williams.

Walker can contribute by knocking down opponents who drive the lane against the Gophers. He can block some shots and take up space on defense. On offense he has soft, large hands for grabbing rebounds, and he has shown a shooting touch outside and inside that is exceptional for such a big player.

It’s next season, though, that Walker would appear even more valuable to the Gophers because Mbawke and Williams are seniors. They will be gone and so too will Andre Ingram, an undersized 6-7 senior who sometimes is used ahead of Walker to help with interior defense. In 2013-2014 Walker and Eliason, who is also a sophomore, will be the team’s only returning big men.

The opportunity for a lot more minutes for Walker is obvious. “I realize that,” he said. “I understand that. Coaches are really like, easing me into it so I am ready.”

Walker is averaging just 3.3 points per game and 2.6 rebounds. He’s struggled to find his game, at times looking tentative and perhaps out of shape. He said last month the Minnesota coaches want him to lose about 10 pounds but more recently he told Sports Headliners the goal hasn’t been reached.

“I feel like my conditioning is pretty good,” Walker said. “I don’t really get too winded out there so that’s good.”

Although he is 21 years old, Walker hasn’t seen much playing time since arriving in Minneapolis two years ago. He played as a reserve averaging 9.6 minutes in 12 games and showed promise including by making two of five three point attempts. Then on December 23, 2010 he injured his right knee and missed the rest of the season. Last season he missed all of 2011-2012 recovering from that injury.

Gophers coach Tubby Smith said on WCCO Radio’s “Sports Huddle” yesterday that Walker’s mishap was the worst knee injury he’s seen, comparing it with someone being in a “major car wreck.” Smith said he’s pleased with Walker’s “growth and development” this fall. He also noted that while at Minnesota Walker’s weight has dropped from close to 350 pounds to under 300.

While working on his comeback from the long layoff, Walker has drawn some of the biggest cheers from fans at Williams Arena. They particularly delight in seeing him score, or even coming close to putting the ball through the hoop.

Walker appreciates the support. “I got a large fan base,” he said. “I love the fans. I love everything about here, and the Barn and the atmosphere, and my teammates. Everything is great.”

Worth Noting

Walker and the Gophers (11-1 and ranked No. 13 in the country by Associated Press) haven’t played a game since last Tuesday when they defeated North DakotaState. Next up—and the final nonconference game—is Saturday night at home against a 4-8 Lafayette team that lost to Kentucky, 101-49, and Maryland, 83-74. Lafayette is located in Easton, Pennsylvania, also known as the home of former heavyweight champion Larry Holmes.

Lafayette has one Minnesotan on the roster, 6-7 sophomore guard Seth Hinrichs from Clara City. He’s the team’s second leading scorer at 14.2 points per game.

Go Gophers!!

It's good to hear that about Walker but that was almost painful to read.

Marcus blog: Gophers basketball: Tubby Smith on Mo Walker: “He’s looked good in practices (lately)”

“I feel good on the court,” Walker said on Monday, Dec. 17. “I’m getting up and down in practice. It’s paying off. I’m ready whenever (Tubby Smith) calls me. I’ll play my role from the bench or when I’m in the game. If I’m on the bench, I’m going to cheer my teammates on. If I’m in the game, I’m going to play hard.”

“That would help his athleticism, getting up and down the court quicker,” Smith said Monday. “He’ll be able to jump higher. He’ll be able to do things better because he won’t have to carry so much weight around. But he’s been looking good in practice. He’s been very disciplined about his eating habits. That tells me that he’ll be ready. I knew early on it was going to be tough (for him to play), because we had a lot of people. But he’s looked good in the practices we’ve had of late. We’re going to need him (in the Big Ten).”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2012/12/17/gophers-basketball/

Go Gophers!!

“I’m ready whenever (Tubby Smith) calls me. I’ll play my role from the bench or when I’m in the game. If I’m on the bench, I’m going to cheer my teammates on. If I’m in the game, I’m going to play hard.”

Nice to hear. Looking forward to seeing him play in the B1G season.

I'm a big Mo Walker fan. I am happy that he is cool with Tubby easing him into the regular rotation. That is probably the smart move considering his knee injury and the amount of weight he carries. It's much easier for a large person to do significant damage to a ligament than it is for a smaller person.

Sounds like a real good teammate knowing his role right now. He will play much more minutes next year. I still would have liked to have seen more of him during some of the cupcakes just to get him a little more comfortable game wise but I understand he is still coming off that injury. Hope this guy has a great career!

Top Bottom