STrib: Austin Hollins: He's more than a shooter

Another good article by Amelia. I think this article highlights the less appreciated part of the game that lots of fans don't understand. It doesn't show up on the stats sheet, so it is not important.

His ballhandling is much improved this year as well.

Austin has always seemed to have the ability to get in passing lanes. Now with more experience and time in the weight room he's better at getting through screens and he doesn't get overpowered in the lane.

His ballhandling is much improved this year as well.

Austin has always seemed to have the ability to get in passing lanes. Now with more experience and time in the weight room he's better at getting through screens and he doesn't get overpowered in the lane.

So much so, that in practice he drives the lane, runs into Big Mo, and Big Mo goes flying.

This is what I like about Austin Hollins. He may have some bad nights shooting the ball, but he's almost always going to be good to great on defense.

Austin is a very good defender. Quick, tall, athletic. Matches up good with most SGs and many SFs. Tubby has the players he needs for an elite defensive team. What puts us over the top is the development of some offensive firepower.

Austin is a sorcerer on defense. Watching him in real speed at the games, I'm not even sure sometimes how he just made the play he made.

It's also pretty impressive that he has 14 blocks on the season (about 1.3 per game) and he's only 6-4. His blocks and steals combined make him the best defender we have. He's also making better decisions with the basketball this year and turning it over less. now, if we can get his shooting % up, he'll be that much closer to realizing his potential.

Top Bottom