Trivia question-Gophers and McDonald's All-Americans

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Since the McDonald's All American game started taking place in 1979, their have been six McDonald's All Americans who have become Golden Gophers. Can you name those six? (#6 is going to be a toughie, I expect to give some clues out)

Let me take a shot at it

Jim Petersen, Darryl Mitchell, Kevin Smith, Rick Rickert, Kris Humphries, Joel Przybilla,

Go Gophers!!

Rick Rickert, Kris Humphries, Darryl Mitchell, Sam Jacobson, Joel Pryzbylla, Adam Boone -

If # 6 is tough, this list must be wrong but that's my guess.

Kevin Smith! I had semi-purged that squad from memory, but you remind me of great memories of Smith coming in as a frosh. Back then the summer ball games were played at Williams Arena. At 6-7 he came in playing in summer ball like Magic Johnson, making end to end drives and dishing or going to the hoop.. Then when the season started he became much more uncertain with his play. We never got to see all of what he could have been but he was a great talent.

Bleed and Bga

I guess it wasn't so tough, nice work!

Coolhand- Just for the record- I assume the Bleed Gopher list is the right one. Correct?

One more note: A couple of names that came to mind until I reread your post and looked at the 1979 date were Mark Olberding and Pat Foschi. Back then the premier game was the Dapper Dan Classic and I think both played in that game.

Bleed

Bleed got it BGA, I thought you corrected yourself later by adding Smith and dropping Adam Boone, who was not a McDonald's All American.

I'm certain....

Sam J. played in the McDonald's game. He won the dunk contest as well.

no Jacobson

I just double checked the list Lefty, and there's no listing for Sam Jacobson.

However, current Gopher assistant coach Vince Taylor was a McD's All American in 1978.

To answer your question cheesehead, Smith was a McD's All-American in 1983. Unfortunately his legacy at the "U" is heavily tarnished-he was one of the participants with Mitch Lee and George Williams in the accused rape at Madison which brought down the Jim Dutcher era at Minnesota and ushered in the Clem Haskins era. I guess after that scandal he went and played ball in Europe.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2007_boys_alumni.pdf

What are Royce's chances

Now that this topic has been brought up, what are Royce's chances of being named to the McDonald's Team?

Royce White's chances

This is from the Dave Telep interview:
GH: You are a voting member for the McDonald´s All-American team. What are the chances that White and/or Williams will be added to the team this year or is that largely dependent on what happens this basketball season?

DT: I think Royce White has a shot. Problem is the power forward slot is loaded. He's a legit candidate but realistically faces an uphill battle. Ditto for Rodney.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I had no idea how these players were selected.

Now that this topic has been brought up, what are Royce's chances of being named to the McDonald's Team?

I asked Bob Gibbons the same question in mid October when I visited his offices. He said (FWIW) that Rodney MAY have a better shot than Royce at McDonalds A-A but he think both will make Parade A-A teams.

Top Bottom