BTN: Big Ten Geeks: Should Basketball Use Divisions?

I know it will probably never happen, but I prefer that they get rid of the conference tournament and increase it to 22 conference games. With 14 teams, that would mean you would play every team twice except for four. Then each school has a rival that you will play twice every year. Then rotate the four schools you play once every year. In a three year period, you would play every school five times, except for your rival.

Just say no to divisions, thank you.

Once Maryland and Rutgers arrive, go to a 20-game conference schedule. Play 7 teams twice & 6 teams once on a rotating 2-year basis like they do now.

For coaches that are inclined to schedule a bunch of cupcakes, the 20-game B1G slate still allows for a bushel full of cupcakes (a max of 7), yet still play in a quality exempt tournament (3 or 4 games counting as 1).

Not sure if they should go to divisions, but if they do I insist they use the names Leaders and Legends because they are so wonderful and classy.

I know it will probably never happen, but I prefer that they get rid of the conference tournament and increase it to 22 conference games. With 14 teams, that would mean you would play every team twice except for four. Then each school has a rival that you will play twice every year. Then rotate the four schools you play once every year. In a three year period, you would play every school five times, except for your rival.

Eliminating the Conference Tourney would only allow each team to play 1 additional game. To move to a 22 game model, each team would need to eliminate 3 additional non-conference games.

Eliminating the Conference Tourney would only allow each team to play 1 additional game. To move to a 22 game model, each team would need to eliminate 3 additional non-conference games.

I'm just not a huge fan of the conference tourneys for the larger conferences anymore. As it stands now, you can play some teams in your conference three times a year and other just once.

Top Bottom