Au. Hollins D

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
NDSU game started with Coleman covering Braun. No knock against Joe, but based on the way the first few minutes went, I thought Braun was going to go for 50.

Then Tubby put Austin on Braun. I don't think he scored again until sometime in the mid 2nd half when, that's right, Joe was back on him.

Again, no knock against Joe...but Hollins' D rocks.

NDSU game started with Coleman covering Braun. No knock against Joe, but based on the way the first few minutes went, I thought Braun was going to go for 50.

Then Tubby put Austin on Braun. I don't think he scored again until sometime in the mid 2nd half when, that's right, Joe was back on him.

Austin has developed into our best defender. It seems to me (and no research yet to back it up) that he generally is assigned the top scorer on the opposing team and has been very effective. He's a great blend of length, quickness, anticipation and tough-mindedness.

And this is news?

Apparently it's news to Tubby, since he had Coleman on Braun (15.8ppg) for the first 4 minutes of the game.

And this is news?

Actually, it is for me. I'm a rabid Gopher fan who doesn't get to see the games, but just read the commentary and see highlights on occasion. Bruce's detailed description painted a better picture than "Austin shuts down his man".

Did I see Oto on him late in the second half when Braun had a short scoring run?

Agreed 100%. I also think this is the main reason to play Wally this year. If Austin's in foul trouble, or hurt, or whatever, we don't have another athletic wing who can stay in front of quicker guys.

Did I see Oto on him late in the second half when Braun had a short scoring run?

Yes. Both Joe & Oto had trouble with him, he's a damn good player. You may also have seen a "small line-up" of Dre, Welch, Austin, Joe & Oto for extended minutes as well.

Joe was pulled and given an earful from Tubby and co. in the second half after his guy scored 8 points in 3 possessions. Very poor defense. I don't think Joes saw the court after that.

Joe was pulled and given an earful from Tubby and co. in the second half after his guy scored 8 points in 3 possessions. Very poor defense. I don't think Joes saw the court after that.

It seems as though some games Joe doesn't really show up. Some games he disappears for stretches. Remind-full of anyone?

Apparently it's news to Tubby, since he had Coleman on Braun (15.8ppg) for the first 4 minutes of the game.

Can't blame Tubby for wanting to see how his different players match up defensively against quality opposition. Had he done this in a close Big Ten game, I'd be pissed. Doing it for the first five minutes against NDSU? Sure, go ahead.

Agreed 100%. I also think this is the main reason to play Wally this year. If Austin's in foul trouble, or hurt, or whatever, we don't have another athletic wing who can stay in front of quicker guys.

I didn't think it was cosher to call a white guy athletic, we need to save that for the Mav's and Welch types on the team.

bruce, you twice said "...no knock on Joe, but..." which means you are knocking Joe.

Look guys, there are methods to Tubby's madness. He gives Joe a chance, has lots of tape to use with Joe at what is wrong and teaches him how to correct. Then, when push comes to shove, he uses Austin to defend, and show Joe what he has to work on.

You can say Joe is not good on defense? Then use these lessons to show him how to improve, what he has to do in practice to improve, because the time WILL come when Joe is gonna haffta come thru on the D end.

That, my friends, is called coaching.

GO GOPHERS!!!

bruce, you twice said "...no knock on Joe, but..." which means you are knocking Joe.

Look guys, there are methods to Tubby's madness. He gives Joe a chance, has lots of tape to use with Joe at what is wrong and teaches him how to correct. Then, when push comes to shove, he uses Austin to defend, and show Joe what he has to work on.

You can say Joe is not good on defense? Then use these lessons to show him how to improve, what he has to do in practice to improve, because the time WILL come when Joe is gonna haffta come thru on the D end.

That, my friends, is called coaching.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Great stuff as always, Dr.

Your insight is amazing.

Post more often!

Great stuff as always, Dr.

Your insight is amazing.

Post more often!

Thank you Les Bolstad. That coming from you means something. I don't know what it is, but it means something. :banghead:

It seems as though some games Joe doesn't really show up. Some games he disappears for stretches. Remind-full of anyone?

You couldn't be thinking of anybody by the name of Dan...could you?

Top Bottom