Amelia blog: Tubby Smith: Decision on Wally Ellenson redshirt coming soon

he is going to redshirt him, why else would he say "move on"? what is there to move on from if he isn't going to redshirt him

Could easily mean "move on" as in Wally probably feels a bit in limbo. He doesn't know if he'll play this year or not. I agree that he'll probably redshirt though.

Could easily mean "move on" as in Wally probably feels a bit in limbo. He doesn't know if he'll play this year or not. I agree that he'll probably redshirt though.

Bull$hit. Wally will do what Coach Smith decides. He is here, and here for a reason. And I guarantee you that it is not for Wally only.

This kid is no A.J. Barker.

redshirt this year-- gives him one more year to play with Henry when/if he gets here.

redshirt this year-- gives him one more year to play with Henry when/if he gets here.

Or it might be a reason for Henry not to come here. If Wally and his family don't want the redshirt and its forced upon him, it could leave a sour taste in their mouth. Every one knows if Wally has a positive experience, Henry will be a Gopher.

Or it might be a reason for Henry not to come here. If Wally and his family don't want the redshirt and its forced upon him, it could leave a sour taste in their mouth. Every one knows if Wally has a positive experience, Henry will be a Gopher.

rookie, do not give us old pros that bull$hit.

How is that BS? We all know you think the redshirt is up to Tubby, which it is. He isn't saying otherwise nor is anyone else. His point is spot on and I think you missed it.

How is that BS? We all know you think the redshirt is up to Tubby, which it is. He isn't saying otherwise nor is anyone else. His point is spot on and I think you missed it.

Rise, read his entire post, not just what I highlighted.

Who missed what?

Rise, read his entire post, not just what I highlighted.

Who missed what?

I did read the entire post. His point is that if Wally and family have a good experience, Henry will likely be a Gopher. I agree with this 100%. If they have a poor experience (redshirting him when he doesn't want to could contribute to this) then he probably won't come here. Not saying redshirting him alone will cause an overall bad experience, just saying it won't make him happy which doesn't bode well for us. His point is spot on, not BS. You said it was BS, which makes me think you missed something.

I did read the entire post. His point is that if Wally and family have a good experience, Henry will likely be a Gopher. I agree with this 100%. If they have a poor experience (redshirting him when he doesn't want to could contribute to this) then he probably won't come here. Not saying redshirting him alone will cause an overall bad experience, just saying it won't make him happy which doesn't bode well for us. His point is spot on, not BS. You said it was BS, which makes me think you missed something.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. If it is all about making Henry happy then you are barking up the wrong tree here. It is all about doing what is best for both the present and the future for our Gophers. Don't, please don't, send another Kris Humphries to us.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and wrong. If it is all about making Henry happy then you are barking up the wrong tree here. It is all about doing what is best for both the present and the future for our Gophers. Don't, please don't, send another Kris Humphries to us.

Doesn't necessarily make him a Kris Humphries. If you talk regularly with your older brother who plays for the Gophers and he always has positive things to say, it's going to make you want to go there even more. If he's always frustrated and has negative things to say, it might make you think it would be a poor decision to go there. Again, I am not sayig this redshirt thing alone will make Wally pissed off enough to lead Henry to think twice about coming, but it woudn't be a good start. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't think this is an unreasonable thing to say.

Like others have said it's not about Henry at all, I think Ellenson is an adult and can make decisions for himself, I would hope it is between Tubby and what is best for the team, and Ellenson and what is best for him. Hopefully they are in sync or can compromise on the decision.

Regardless of what affect it could have on Henry (in and of itself probably won't do a whole lot) I want Wally to play this year. This is the best team we have had in a long time and I want all the help we can get to win as many games as possible both in conference play and especially in the tournament. If he can contribute, he should play.

Dr. Don: The prototypical "I've been on the board longer than anyone and all newbs are stupid" guy.

I am not really into name calling. At my age I don't think anyone would ever call me a rookie!

I dont know Wally, the Ellensons, or Henry. For all I know Wally wants to get red shirted. All I was saying is that the Gophers are in a unique situation, as they are recruiting the younger brother of one of their players. I just don't want any hard feelings, as I feel Henry will be a Gopher, but I know that Wally's experience will be the deciding factor.

The last time we tried to recruit the younger brother of one of our players, it didn't go so well.

It's a tough thing and maybe I am giving the Ellenson's too much credit, but I would hope they would all be intelligent enough to understand that Tubby's decision on how to handle Wally's situation should come down to what is best for Wally's development (not necessarily what he wants) and what is best for the team. If Tubby starts making decisions that could impact his best team since he arrived here because of how it will help/hurt his recruiting of Henry Ellenson, he isn't doing his job nor is he doing what is right by Wally Ellenson.

As far as what the Ellenson's want, I don't think it's always clear cut. It reminds me of Max Shortell's situation. I can almost gurantee you that Max, as an 18 yr old college freshman, wanted to play his FR season and was ecstatic about the situation. In an interview with Max's father, he said that he would have preferred Max to be RS. My point...sometimes the anxious 18 yr old kid who wants to play (like every competitor wants to play) doesn't hold the same opinion as the ENTIRE family.

Dr. Don: The prototypical "I've been on the board longer than anyone and all newbs are stupid" guy.

Anyone with less posts than me's opinion is trivial/insignificant & anyone with more posts than me is a loser who needs to get a life outside of the interwebz.

Here is the key question. Can Wally shoot well from the outside? I have read he is a "get to the basket" type of player.
If he can also sink three's on a consistent basis, I say play him. If this team has one weakness, it is the outside shot.

My two cents!

Here is the key question. Can Wally shoot well from the outside? I have read he is a "get to the basket" type of player.
If he can also sink three's on a consistent basis, I say play him. If this team has one weakness, it is the outside shot.

My two cents!

I agree that is a key need. One of the characteristics of the really elite teams seems to be the presence of a shooter where, if he can get wide open from three, you can count the bucket before he even pulls the trigger. We need to find that guy.

I don't like the idea of having no sophomores on the team next year. I like to have as balanced of classes as possible.

If Wally doesn't red shirt, I would make that decision soon so he can get a couple of games under his belt before having to jump into the big ten season. Too bad he got hurt, every Freshman needs those vital per- conference minutes.

I don't like the idea of having no sophomores on the team next year. I like to have as balanced of classes as possible.

Pewter, then I have a question for you. Should we take off his redshirt this year so we have him as a sophomore next year, or redshirt him this year and have him next year as a red shirt freshman? It's still the same guy.

Pewter, then I have a question for you. Should we take off his redshirt this year so we have him as a sophomore next year, or redshirt him this year and have him next year as a red shirt freshman? It's still the same guy.

Makes classes unbalanced though which effects the scholarship situation and recruiting.

Top Bottom