Gophers 16th in the coaches poll

Four top 10 teams from the B1G, just amazing.

The coaches poll has consistently been about a week behind the AP Poll in terms of where we're ranked.

I agree, fuzzy. The AP pollsters keep on top of every game. The Coaches poll requires a good review of scores only. And the Coaches' Poll uses their Sports Information Director (SID) to do it for them.

If the Gophers are ranked? It matters not to me. Just go beat everyone and let the chips fall where they may.

Tubby wins #500 at USC? I don't care. Just get #501 at The Barn versus the dreaded NDSU Bison, then move on.

Remember Shakespeare:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Gophers tweeted it too...

Minnesota Gophers ‏@GopherSports
.@GopherBBall moves up to No. 13 in AP Top 25 college basketball poll #Gophers #AnimalWithin

So if Ohio State beats Kansas, and Florida beats Arizona, it's feasible that by the time conference season rolls around 5 of the top 10 teams will be B1G (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Minnesota). I can't recall a time when a conference had that much strength at the top.

So if Ohio State beats Kansas, and Florida beats Arizona, it's feasible that by the time conference season rolls around 5 of the top 11 teams will be B1G (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Minnesota). I can't recall a time when a conference had that much strength at the top.

Big East has had it before, probably multiple times. They had a cluster of teams ranked virtually every week during the 2010-11 season. In week 7, they had (AP poll) UConn 4, 'Cuse 5, Pitt 6, 'Nova 8, and G'town 9 (i.e., 5 teams in the top 9 - also ND 15 and L'ville 22).

Well, from what I am reading from you guys...the NCAA Final Four will be 4 B1G teams. How awesome would that be? :clap: :clap: :clap: :drink: :drink: :drink: I can dream, can't I?

Fuzzy, there is only one way to replace Indiana as #1. Kick their butts. It's happened before.

Fuzzy, there is only one way to replace Indiana as #1. Kick their butts. It's happened before.

They will likely still be #1 when we play them as they play two of the bottom-dwellers in the Big 10. We beat them on the road last year. Why not shock everyone and start 4-0 this year and move in to the top 3? haha

Still my favorite game. Doubling up Bobby Knight even if it was one the downward trend of his time there. Couldn't have enjoyed a result more than that one. Knight's worst loss ever, or at least as at the time.

Great analogy, Sparlimb. In that game, If Knight would have had a turd in his pants, he would have thrown it across the floor. :)

Here's the full AP Poll: http://collegebasketball.ap.org/herald-dispatch/poll

An Illinois vs. Missouri game pretty much guarantees us moving up another spot as we are guaranteed another loss. Then we just have to find a way to move up 2 more before the MSU game for us to be top 10

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure 3 teams ahead of us will lose by default due to matchups before the MSU game. If I'm remembering correctly, we will be #10 worst case scenerio by the MSU game.

I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure 3 teams ahead of us will lose by default due to matchups before the MSU game. If I'm remembering correctly, we will be #10 worst case scenerio by the MSU game.

But will their losses cause them to all out of the top 10? If Ohio State or Kansas lose to each other I'm not so sure they drop far enough.

You are correct, Kansas-Ohio State, Florida-Arizona, and Illinois-Missouri all happen by 12/23. However, a Florida loss on the road probably doesn't slip them below us in the rankings, provided it's at least somewhat close.

You are correct, Kansas-Ohio State, Florida-Arizona, and Illinois-Missouri all happen by 12/23. However, a Florida loss on the road probably doesn't slip them below us in the rankings, provided it's at least somewhat close.

Good point. I bet Florida wins anyway. We'll see though.

But will their losses cause them to all out of the top 10? If Ohio State or Kansas lose to each other I'm not so sure they drop far enough.

Yeah maybe not. Hard to say. It will be close. Either way, if we beat MSU (which I think we will) that should definitely be enough to put us in the top 10.

Also, Louisville plays at Memphis later in the month and Cincy at Xavier. There's a few other slight chances for upsets between now and the end of the year. I think there's a chance the Gophers could be up to # 8 or 9 by the time we play MSU. Just have to take care of business against ND State and Lafayette.

No worst case would be unranked if they lose to NDSU and the other cupcake...I think its Layfaette?
But point well taken. I do think that FLA could have a close loss and not slip that far...

No worst case would be unranked if they lose to NDSU and the other cupcake...I think its Layfaette?
But point well taken. I do think that FLA could have a close loss and not slip that far...

If we lose to Lafaette I will cut off one of my fingers.

Either one of those would be daggers to our ranking and resume. Hopefully the Gophs realize how much they could lose in those games and bring their A-games against the D-opponents.

Lunardi has been one of our biggest fans so far this year...

Joe Lunardi ‏@ESPNLunardi
In the Sweet 16... “@dtarock85: @ESPNLunardi Where do you see Minn finishing the season??”

Meant to add "assuming we win our remaining non-conference games."

Top Bottom