How good is Illinois?

march madness

Reaction score
I didn't see the game, I just assumed they would get beat maybe handily at Gonzaga. They hit 11 3's 42% against them. They average 10 makes.

They are really getting excellent guard play. 6'4" Richardson leading the team in rebounding at 4.8. Paul doing everything: 19.5 pts a game, first in assists, hitting almost 3 -3's a game. They are a poor rebounding team. Their bigs are better 3 pt shooters than rebounders.

Against the Illini, Trevor and Rodney should thrive. In years past the ball line defense against a team without post scorers would really make me cringe. This year we seem to do more of it selectively, use a much quicker lineup, and we get into the passing lanes. I like our chances.

The big ten is soo deep!

They are a team that lives and dies by the 3. If the 3 is off they lose. Fortunately, the 3 hasn't been off yet this year. I imagine Big Ten team will be able to change that luck fairly quickly though. Having said that, beating them on the road this year will be tough but very doable.

If paul is on they are great ... if not they are very beatable...

We knew they had Paul, and good guard play will get you a lot of wins in college BB. In a couple respects, they're a lot like the Gophers - the numbers don't lie in terms of what their record is, who they've beaten, and what it adds up to when you compare them with other teams. The test for both teams will be the conference schedule.

Acknowledging that it's tough to beat a team that's raining threes on you, but isn't a team that is so dependent on them vulnerable to a very strong D-rebounding team like the Gophers? The Illinois games could be the most fun games to watch this year.

Acknowledging that it's tough to beat a team that's raining threes on you, but isn't a team that is so dependent on them vulnerable to a very strong D-rebounding team like the Gophers? The Illinois games could be the most fun games to watch this year.

Good rebounding won't help you if the other team isn't missing (friggin' Duke).

An interesting statistic that was mentioned here within the last few days is that we are actually one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the Big Ten, maybe the worst, but we're also the best offensive rebounding team in the country.

Marcus chimed in...

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
#Illinois leaps from No. 14 to 10th in coaches' poll after beating Gonzaga. Impressive win. But I still think #Gophers are a better team.

Every game, one at a time, is gonna be the most fun game to watch this year.

Bring on Goldy in his/her glory...Bring on the Cheerleaders their glory...Bring on the Dance Team in their glory...Bring it on. Make The Barn the most intimidating venue in the Big Ten!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!

Would you say that they are "very average" if Paul is not on?

Winasota, you are getting my drift here. If beating Illinois is "very doable" does that make Illinois "very beatable"? hee hee hee

I guess a lot of it is very dependent on Paul being very accurate on his 3's.

illinois has played nobody except a gonzaga team who is notorious for being below average defensively.. any team with a few athletic long defenders can bury this team because they have zero post scoring options and an average at best defense of their own. we match up with them very well and we should at the very least be able to beat them at home and i think we will win on the road too. granted we have had our struggles defending the 3 but when somebody is 1 dimensional like illinois even if they do make the 3's against us we are plenty good enough to outscore them and dominate on the glass..

illinois has played nobody except a gonzaga team who is notorious for being below average defensively.. any team with a few athletic long defenders can bury this team because they have zero post scoring options and an average at best defense of their own. we match up with them very well and we should at the very least be able to beat them at home and i think we will win on the road too. granted we have had our struggles defending the 3 but when somebody is 1 dimensional like illinois even if they do make the 3's against us we are plenty good enough to outscore them and dominate on the glass..

Illinois has beaten a pretty good Butler team as well as Gonzaga on the road. That Gonzaga win was huge for Illinois, plus beating Butler was also a good win. Butler has wins over North Carolina, Marquette and Northwetern this year.

Book had it right...when Paul hits, Illini thrive. Without Leonard this year, they are much more guard and fast paced. They were a turnover machine last year. Not sure if that remains their achilles heel.

That's the great thing about conference (Big Ten) play. Everything comes out in the wash once the conference season starts. We'll find out if teams like Illinois and the Gophers are more parts real deal, or more parts fraud. We'll also find out if multiple-loss teams like Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Wisconsin are perhaps better than their records indicate.

That's the great thing about conference (Big Ten) play. Everything comes out in the wash once the conference season starts. We'll find out if teams like Illinois and the Gophers are more parts real deal, or more parts fraud. We'll also find out if multiple-loss teams like Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, and Wisconsin are perhaps better than their records indicate.

Anyone who can take the Zags on their homecourt is good. Any time we get a win in Champaign, it is a very, very, very, good year. The threes won't fall all the time for the Illini, but they have to be good. My guess is they are showing the world they underperformed with Weber and they are on a mission. Should not be overlooked even if we match up well with them.

SS, great post to say what I want to say...LET THE GAMES BEGIN, WE WILL FIND OUT!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!

p.s. If The Barn is not full of raucous fans, old timers and pups and all fans in between, then the chair sitters are gonna miss out on a lot of fun.

I didn't see the game, I just assumed they would get beat maybe handily at Gonzaga. They hit 11 3's 42% against them. They average 10 makes.

They are really getting excellent guard play. 6'4" Richardson leading the team in rebounding at 4.8. Paul doing everything: 19.5 pts a game, first in assists, hitting almost 3 -3's a game. They are a poor rebounding team. Their bigs are better 3 pt shooters than rebounders.

Against the Illini, Trevor and Rodney should thrive. In years past the ball line defense against a team without post scorers would really make me cringe. This year we seem to do more of it selectively, use a much quicker lineup, and we get into the passing lanes. I like our chances.

The big ten is soo deep!

Joe Bertrand is a sneaky good player and they will be a tough out...run the court well and contest shots when you take it on the break (bunch of leapers)

Joe Bertrand is a sneaky good player and they will be a tough out...run the court well and contest shots when you take it on the break (bunch of leapers)

Yes - he has dealt with injuries... from a preseason preview: "Joe Bertrand is a 6’6” junior guard averaged 20.1 mpg and 6.5 ppg and looked very good at times last season. He’s had a history of injuries, but when healthy can be a player."

LNH had the Illini at #7 in the B1G with a chance to be a tourney team, a bit higher than most people had them.. some reasons why are explained in more detail HERE, but 3-point disparity a year ago was a big piece.

Illinois has a lot of players.. of course Paul can take things over, but they've got tons of talent.

Also in the preview: "The other senior on this year’s squad is 6’9” forward Tyler Griffey (4.9 ppg, 3.3rpg). He’s only made 27 3-pointers in his career and shot just 31.0% 3FG, but between his offensive rebounding and unproven scoring ability that we believe is there, Griffey could be a nice piece."

So far this year he's 17/36 (47.2%) from 3. 17 is more than any other season in his first three years.. nice to have a 6'9" shooter.

I'd still say Illinois is around 7th best in the Big Ten. They can take down anyone, but they'll have their off nights / ugly games.

Top Bottom