THIS DAY IN GOPHER HISTORY- DECEMBER 8, 1981

Nomellini

Reaction score
#8 Minnesota 80 Drake 55
11 points for a junior forward from Ocala, Florida. A fan favorite, this colorful player has a biblical first name that is unique in Gopher annals. Can you name him?

Leo: Zebedee Howell. One of Dic Joncowski's favorites when announcing the line-up.

Uhhh...was Dick sitting at home in the shower announcing lineups to a game on the radio? Cuz he wasn't the announcer when Zebedee was playing.

#theresasquirrelonthefield

Bruce: I stand corrected. Julie Perlt was the announcer. I do know that Zebedee was one of Dick's
favorites in talking to him though.

Bruce: I stand corrected. Julie Perlt was the announcer. I do know that Zebedee was one of Dick's
favorites in talking to him though.

Anyone remember the Pillsbury Summer League that used to play in Williams Arena in the summer? It was sort of like the Howard Pulley league back in the days before AAU. I was about to start my (D3) college basketball career and had the opportunity to meet Zebedee early during my summer job between HS and Freshman year. This was well after his career at the U had ended but the Pillsbury League was a mix of ex Gophers, current Gophers, and other college players from MN. Zeb was about the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet. One thing led to another and the next thing I knew I was playing on Zeb's team. I had never played on that springy Williams Arena floor and I was amazed how many basketball junkies attended those games. The whole thing was quite a thrill for me, coming from a little outstate town.

Our team went on to win the league that year and I had big thoughts about what cool thing we'd each get (I was already looking forward so some fancy "Pillsbury League Champions" medal, trophy, etc). The big reward turned out to be two coupons for free Whoppers at Burger King. :)

Some great memories that never would have happened if Zeb Howell hadn't been as friendly, gracious, and nice as he was to me.

Top Bottom