How overrated do you think the Gophers can get in the next 3 weeks?

ski-u-mah

Reaction score
Assuming we dont lose to USC, I would say very overrated.

I do not mean this in a negative way what so ever, but were we are now and no meaningful games in the next three weeks, I could see us sneaking into the top ten by the end of the year.

Without looking at the schedules of the teams ahead of us, I will say #9.

My only point being I am not convinced yet we are a top ten team, but I do think we will get a top ten ranking soon.

I do not mean this in a negative way what so ever, but were we are now and no meaningful games in the next three weeks, I could see us sneaking into the top ten by the end of the year.

My only point being I am not convinced yet we are a top ten team, but I do think we will get a top ten ranking soon.

You just answered your own OP question. Thanks for the thread.

I'll bite. Yes I think the Gophs might sneak into the top ten, and I do not believe they are a top 10 team, unless TM comes back with a vengence, then I would believe it. But once the B10 starts there will probably be a lot of 1-1 weeks, with the team slightly dropping, sepending on the opponents. I would think that to remain in the top 10 or thereabouts during the B10 season the team would probably have to go about 12-6 or 13-5...going 10-8 or 9-9 would probably have them in the 20-25 range near the B10 tournament or so...

You just answered your own OP question. Thanks for the thread.

Not really, I was asking how high others think we could get before the end of the year and I guessed #9.

Also, not sure what "OP question" is, but guessing it ain't good.

There's no reason we can't stay in the top 15 for a long period of time. This team is good.

Also, I have us starting out 2-0 in the Big Ten so I think we could get to 6 or 7.

OP = original post.

I think the Gophers will be in the top 10 by they time they meet up with Michigan State and they probably won't deserve it... and it won't bother me as I will just appreciate the attention for the team, and hope they can maintain as much attention as possible as the conference season moves along.

The only negative I see to being ranked in the top 10, is that all the Minneapolis Gopher haters will be out in droves saying "same old tubby" as soon as we fall out of the top 10.

Well you should have looked at the schedule. Beating USC, NDSU and Lafayette(3 really bad teams) shouldn't move the needle that much unless the teams in front Minnesota in the rankings lose a lot. Minnesota should easily win the next 3 games. Now if they split with Michigan State and Illinois. I think they stay right where they are. If they win both they will be in the top 10. If they lose both, they probably drop to about 25th possibly even out.

Well you should have looked at the schedule. Beating USC, NDSU and Lafayette(3 really bad teams) shouldn't move the needle that much unless the teams in front Minnesota in the rankings lose a lot. Minnesota should easily win the next 3 games. Now if they split with Michigan State and Illinois. I think they stay right where they are. If they win both they will be in the top 10. If they lose both, they probably drop to about 25th possibly even out.

I meant other teams schedules. I am guessing loses by others move us up more than wins versus the teams we play.

I think there are a handful of potentially elite teams in IU, Duke, LVille and maybe OSU and then another 10-15 that are very good and can beat most anyone and I do think we're in that 2nd group as is Michigan and MSU. I don't think top 10 is 'overrated' because I believe that we can play with and beat any of those other teams.

If we figure out how to beat Michigan State in the regular season we could be top 8 by the new year.

One of Illinois and Gonzaga is gonna drop.

Kansas has the Buckeyes coming up.

Arizona has a home game against the Gators soon.

We just need to keep winning, but hopefully our losses are mitigated by the fact that the B1G is a meat grinder this year. Suffering an non-conference loss at this point would be massively disappointing.

yeah there are some top 25 matchups the next few weeks. Illinois is over rate anyway and minnesota should be ahead of them.. Gonzaga will beat them and take care of it though. Illinois hasn't beat a real good team yet. Mizzou also plays Illinois this month

I think there are a handful of potentially elite teams in IU, Duke, LVille and maybe OSU and then another 10-15 that are very good and can beat most anyone and I do think we're in that 2nd group as is Michigan and MSU. I don't think top 10 is 'overrated' because I believe that we can play with and beat any of those other teams.

Michigan is an elite team, probably more dangerous than OSU.

Michigan is an elite team, probably more dangerous than OSU.

I would disagree. Osu will probably be more consistent especially in the front court. Mich is stacked with talent but a lot are youngsters

Kind of hard to approach a thread asking how overrated we'll get without a bit of consternation. Especially when the team currently sits at #14 in the AP rankings, is 9-1 on the season and is looking like the best team we've had here possibly since the 96-97 team. In terms of how high they can go in the polls, there are so many variables it's hard to figure. My gut instinct says top 10, but that's just a guess.

I'm one of those that doesn't think much about rankings however. More interested in what the team is showing us and what they've demonstrated so far is that they are quick, athletic and pretty deep. Perhaps more importantly, the team is showing a level of intensity that we haven't see around here in a few years. The wins over Memphis, Stanford and Florida State are certainly nice to have, but I also like the fact that they're thoroughly dominating teams they should be, not monkeying around with them like we've seen in the past. In short, I like this team's mindset. They're taking care of business on both ends right now and it's great to see, especially with the Big Ten season coming up.

Michigan is alot better than ohio state.

+1 imo. Michigan has more ways they can beat you, more scorers, length and are much deeper. tOSU can be shut down/slowed down if you take away one or two guys...Michigan can beat you with 8. I think we match up way better with tOSU this year, along with MSU. Could see us sweeping those games. IU and Michigan are going to be a problem...and of course we will choke one away against IA. I think we can handle the Badgers, NW, PSU and compete well with Ill.

Michigan is alot better than ohio state.

how can you possibly say that as fact? who has michigan beat this year that makes you believe that? i have seen more from ohiost this year than i have from michigan. i would bet they split the season series.

I am so happy to be a Gophers Basketball fan this season, I will celebrate every climb in the rankings, and can't wait to see what happens. This team has a lot of potential, and I suspect that they will beat MSU at home, and that they will have a great chance at ILL.

I don't understand the point of discussing whether or not they're deserving of a high ranking. We'll know for a fact in a month and a half whether or not the Gophers are deserving. I for one, cannot wait to find out one way or the other.

The big ten winner will have 5 loses this year is my prediction. So i would say 9-7 is about right for big ten play.

The big ten winner will have 5 loses this year is my prediction. So i would say 9-7 is about right for big ten play.

I prefer to think the Big Ten winner will have 4 losses. So I would say 12-4 is about right for us.

If you plan to lose the last 2. I say we split ;)

I definitely think we should be above .500 this year. We got a little lucky only needing to play OSU and Michigan once. If we can win the home games against teams in the 10-20 ranking range, sweep unranked Wisconsin, and take care of business when we are supposed to, we wouldn't need any miracles or big upsets to head into the conference tournament with a winning B1G record.

I am thinking 11-7 for the gophers. Michigan has a lot more scoring potential than Ohio St. I am not sure how there defense is. They have experience in the backcourt, inexperienced frontcourt players are not as much of a detriment. Gonzaga should beat Illinios and bring them back down to earth.

I am thinking 11-7 for the gophers. Michigan has a lot more scoring potential than Ohio St. I am not sure how there defense is. They have experience in the backcourt, inexperienced frontcourt players are not as much of a detriment. Gonzaga should beat Illinios and bring them back down to earth.

I dont see how most people would not be happy with this.

Kind of hard to approach a thread asking how overrated we'll get without a bit of consternation. Especially when the team currently sits at #14 in the AP rankings, is 9-1 on the season and is looking like the best team we've had here possibly since the 96-97 team. In terms of how high they can go in the polls, there are so many variables it's hard to figure. My gut instinct says top 10, but that's just a guess.

I'm one of those that doesn't think much about rankings however. More interested in what the team is showing us and what they've demonstrated so far is that they are quick, athletic and pretty deep. Perhaps more importantly, the team is showing a level of intensity that we haven't see around here in a few years. The wins over Memphis, Stanford and Florida State are certainly nice to have, but I also like the fact that they're thoroughly dominating teams they should be, not monkeying around with them like we've seen in the past. In short, I like this team's mindset. They're taking care of business on both ends right now and it's great to see, especially with the Big Ten season coming up.
I'm one of those that doesn't think much about rankings however. More interested in what the team is showing us...

I am with you 100%. Nice to be ranked, but I am not that concerned with the actual number. I posted this because I was thinking about it, was bored and waiting for real games on real TV. And to bump the thread if I am right.

I'll bite. Yes I think the Gophs might sneak into the top ten, and I do not believe they are a top 10 team, unless TM comes back with a vengence, then I would believe it. But once the B10 starts there will probably be a lot of 1-1 weeks, with the team slightly dropping, sepending on the opponents. I would think that to remain in the top 10 or thereabouts during the B10 season the team would probably have to go about 12-6 or 13-5...going 10-8 or 9-9 would probably have them in the 20-25 range near the B10 tournament or so...

Totally in agreement with this. The homer in me says we'll be 12-6 with an 11 ranking. The realist says 9-9 with a 24 ranking at the end.

Totally in agreement with this. The homer in me says we'll be 12-6 with an 11 ranking. The realist says 9-9 with a 24 ranking at the end.

There's no reason this team can't win 10+ games in conference play. 9-9 would be a huge let down.

Top Bottom