2013 Veterans Day at Cowboys Stadium: Four Simultaneous Games

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/seth_davis/12/06/Hoop-Thoughts/1.html

The details aren't finalized, but here it is: Next year on Veterans Day weekend, there will be four -- count 'em, four -- games taking place simultaneously at Cowboys Stadium, site of the 2014 Final Four. The games will begin 15 minutes apart and be held side by side (by side by side) in the giant facility. The purpose is to simulate the madness that takes place during the first week of the NCAA tournament. Only instead of the games taking place in four different cities, they'll be played in one town, under one roof.

"We're going to squeeze everything into a three-hour time period," Hollis told me. "We're talking with eight institutions right now that have a very high interest and have that weekend open, and we're going to partner with the 12 [military] bases that are around Dallas, so we can make it a celebration for the guys at Fort Hood and others."

What a crazy atmosphere that'll be.

Wow, crazy indeed. I'm sure the ratings will be crazy for that, and I'm sure it will be a mockery of the game.

Go Gophers!!

Wow, crazy indeed. I'm sure the ratings will be crazy for that, and I'm sure it will be a mockery of the game.

Go Gophers!!

My thoughts as well. But hey, at least it's not outdoors.

Go Gophers!!

Why would it be a mockery.

It is a carnival for fans. A jamboree that counts in the standings.

I see it as a chance for fans to see 8 great teams spending 3 hours, not 9-10 hours.

Very interesting idea. In terms of its effect no the game, I think this is waaaaaay better than on an aircraft carrier.

In lieu of Tubby's preference for playing "name" opponents anywhere except @ Williams Arena, perhaps the Gophers would be a good candidate for this event in 2013? Especially if we're coming off a sparkling 2012-13 campaign?

This will be like the state wrestling tounament!

Court layout would be strange. They probably would have to tilt each court at a 45 degree angle and have a big space in the middle. You can't have loose balls from other games having a good shot at interrupting action on the other courts. Probably could make the middle a VIP area and put some stands there too.

Best way I can visualize it would be a la the flag of South Korea strangely enough.

In lieu of Tubby's preference for playing "name" opponents anywhere except @ Williams Arena, perhaps the Gophers would be a good candidate for this event in 2013? Especially if we're coming off a sparkling 2012-13 campaign?

I would think they would want 1 team from each of the Big 6 conferences, & 2 from maybe the A-10, WCC, or C-USA, etc.

Since Michigan St. is one of the teams, that precludes the Gophers.

USA Today: Michigan State AD gives up on Texas hoops game

"It's off," Hollis said today after emailing officials at the other seven schools that were going to participate with MSU in the event at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas — site of the 2014 Final Four.

The idea was for four games going on four courts at once, starting 15 minutes apart, to replicate the feel of a March Madness day of action. The goal was to create excitement in the area in advance of the Final Four, while entertaining about 30,000 troops from 12 area bases on Veterans Day weekend.

The biggest issue was the inability to find a TV network willing to broadcast four games at once on different channels.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/12/27/michigan-state-basketball-texas/1795307/

Go Gophers!!

USA Today: Michigan State AD gives up on Texas hoops game

"It's off," Hollis said today after emailing officials at the other seven schools that were going to participate with MSU in the event at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas — site of the 2014 Final Four.

The idea was for four games going on four courts at once, starting 15 minutes apart, to replicate the feel of a March Madness day of action. The goal was to create excitement in the area in advance of the Final Four, while entertaining about 30,000 troops from 12 area bases on Veterans Day weekend.

The biggest issue was the inability to find a TV network willing to broadcast four games at once on different channels.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2012/12/27/michigan-state-basketball-texas/1795307/

Go Gophers!!

Good.

Top Bottom