When you have a good win and then later the team you beat turns out to suck more...

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
If people are worrying about "What does FSU losing big at home mean to what people think of the Gopher?"...

I think most pollsters don't look back in time that much. When they vote each week, they probably look at their rankings from the previous week and how each of the teams did that week...and that's about it. I doubt many of them go back in time a few weeks and say, "Well, I rated this team as high as I did because they beat this team, but now that team sucks...so I need to adjust"

We certainly won't fall in the polls due to Florida State being terrible. In fact, a win over USC and we probably move up to 13. As we are guaranteed a loss between Illinois and Gonzaga.

We certainly won't fall in the polls due to Florida State being terrible. In fact, a win over USC and we probably move up to 13. As we are guaranteed a loss between Illinois and Gonzaga.

Exactly. Just because FSU is stinking it up won't affect us to greatly.

Of course it doesn't impact us now, but it certainly impacts when it matters: Selection Sunday.

It would be nice if FSU was counted as a "good road win" on our resume, and not just a name school having a bad year.

Go Gophers!!

I'm not sure that a win over USC will move us anywhere. USC got a beatdown by Nebraska (granted it was at Lincoln) so beating the Toejams isn't something that will play much of a factor in the polls, in my opinion.

Meanwhile Memphis had a good win over Ohio, who were something of a darling mid-major this season...The Tigers appear to be righting their ship...It would be helpful if FSU can get their s_ _ t together soon...

I think if we beat USC convincingly, we move up to 11th or 10th....I think we'll pass a couple of teams as the voters are really taking notice of this Gopher team.

I think people are placing way too many hopes and fears on the FSU win. If the Gophers are as good as we think/hope they are, there will be plenty more opportunities for signature wins once conference play begins. If we think they are paper tigers and another Tubby bubble team, then yes, we should be concerned about how FSU does.

Gopher Resume Snapshot

With a long way to go. ...

GOPHERS
Record: 9-1
RPI: 13
SOS: 28
vs. RPI Top 50 (0-1): Duke (1)
vs. RPI Top 51-100 (1-0): Stanford (93)
vs. RPI 101-200 (5-0): Richmond (105), Memphis (108), Florida State (150), North Florida (178), South Dakota State (186)
vs. RPI 201-250 (2-0): Tennessee State (202), American (218)
vs. RPI 251-299 (1-0): Toledo (279)
vs. RPI 300+ (0-0):
Road/Neutral Record: 3-1

Still to Play (Nonconference)
@ 97 USC
68 North Dakota State
321 Lafayette

"If the tournament started today", Hodger - 4 seed?

Meanwhile Memphis had a good win over Ohio, who were something of a darling mid-major this season...The Tigers appear to be righting their ship...It would be helpful if FSU can get their s_ _ t together soon...

I think if we beat USC convincingly, we move up to 11th or 10th....I think we'll pass a couple of teams as the voters are really taking notice of this Gopher team.

Bingo.

I think moving up to 10-11 is a little ambitious. We will likely only have 1 team losing in front of us. #10 or #13. We might jump an extra spot do to the writer's getting on the bandwagon, but it's harder to move up once you get this high. I say our ceiling for next week is at 12.

RPI top 100 wins are important for the selection committee. That is the range where you are beating most major conference squads and the best mid majors.

Florida State has fallen off the tracks since our game with them. They just got brutalized by Florida and didn't even score 50 on route to losing by 25.

Memphis will get it together and compete for the CUSA title, although I'm shocked that Larry Brown already has SMU winning as much as they are.

USC is garbage. The whole Pac-12 is an embarrassment to major college basketball. Arizona looks like the only potential 1-4 seed team in the league. The best win by the conference so far is either Colorado beating Baylor or Oregon beating UNLV. UCLA is a dumpster fire, and California lost by 25 to a down Wisconsin team.

All we can do on our end is beat everyone put in front of us. Can't control how our opponent's play.

RPI top 100 wins are important for the selection committee. That is the range where you are beating most major conference squads and the best mid majors.

Florida State has fallen off the tracks since our game with them. They just got brutalized by Florida and didn't even score 50 on route to losing by 25.

Memphis will get it together and compete for the CUSA title, although I'm shocked that Larry Brown already has SMU winning as much as they are.

USC is garbage. The whole Pac-12 is an embarrassment to major college basketball. Arizona looks like the only potential 1-4 seed team in the league. The best win by the conference so far is either Colorado beating Baylor or Oregon beating UNLV. UCLA is a dumpster fire, and California lost by 25 to a down Wisconsin team.

All we can do on our end is beat everyone put in front of us. Can't control how our opponent's play.

You make good points, though I'd point out the Pac 12 appears significantly better this season. That's not saying much, I know, but this season I'd be more inclined to call the SEC garbage. I see Florida, Mizzou, and eventually Kentucky in the SEC; the rest border on pedestrian at best. Tennessee was considered borderline top-25 before the season, and the Vols have failed to score 40 points in their last two games (vs. Georgetown & Virginia). Alabama, Ole Miss, maybe?

With a long way to go. ...

GOPHERS
Record: 9-1
RPI: 13
SOS: 28
vs. RPI Top 50 (0-1): Duke (1)
vs. RPI Top 51-100 (1-0): Stanford (93)
vs. RPI 101-200 (5-0): Richmond (105), Memphis (108), Florida State (150), North Florida (178), South Dakota State (186)
vs. RPI 201-250 (2-0): Tennessee State (202), American (218)
vs. RPI 251-299 (1-0): Toledo (279)
vs. RPI 300+ (0-0):
Road/Neutral Record: 3-1

Still to Play (Nonconference)
@ 97 USC
68 North Dakota State
321 Lafayette

Nice snapshot, but it's hard to imagine Memphis at 108 and North Dakota State at 68. This time of year the RPI is fairly meaningless. That being said, we haven't played many good teams and the one team that truly is very good beat us by nearly 20 points.

I'm willing to bet that Memphis, FSU and Stanford will ALL wind up inside the top 100, well before March. I'm guessing Memphis wins the Conf USA...Stanford should be in the top3 in the Pac12 and FSU will be a bubble team by March. Hopefully South Dakota State, ND St and Richmond can all compete for their conference titles as well. By the time March gets here I see our strength of schedule being top 20, if not top 10. 8 games against MSU, Mich, OSU, Illini and IU will ensure that.

Agree, Tiny, that the RPI is pretty much meaningless in early December. However, it's at least starting to take shape. There are some Big Ten teams with early RPI issues. Michigan State (#81), Iowa (#82) and Wisconsin (#98) immediately come to mind. I'm glad the Gophers won't be hovering anywhere near that ballpark heading into conference play.

It seems like people are a little split on worrying about FSU or not. I agree with the side that is not worrying at least at this point. I mean I will be cheering for them to win when they play but it isn't the end of the world if they are just average this year. If we piss down our leg @USC and have another 6-12 B1G season (highly unlikely for both)...then maybe we worry a bit more. This team should easily be 12-1 going into the Big Ten Season and we will have plenty of opportunity for huge wins there. If we even win 10 games plus 1 or 2 in the B1G tourney with a few of those against the top of the conference we will be a 5 seed no problem.

There is way too much season left and we are currently 9-1 and ranked 14. No need to worry too much about how FSU does.

It seems like people are a little split on worrying about FSU or not. I agree with the side that is not worrying at least at this point. I mean I will be cheering for them to win when they play but it isn't the end of the world if they are just average this year. If we piss down our leg @USC and have another 6-12 B1G season (highly unlikely for both)...then maybe we worry a bit more. This team should easily be 12-1 going into the Big Ten Season and we will have plenty of opportunity for huge wins there. If we even win 10 games plus 1 or 2 in the B1G tourney with a few of those against the top of the conference we will be a 5 seed no problem.

There is way too much season left and we are currently 9-1 and ranked 14. No need to worry too much about how FSU does.

If we leg-piss at USC and go 6-12 again, I don't think even FSU getting into the top 5 would save us.

Sounds about right, dpo. I'd still lean a bit more toward a 5 or 6 because there's not a "top shelf" win anywhere.

Fair, but I would still lean towards a 4 right now, as MN is I think 13 RPI...I do agree no great wins yet though...

Top Bottom